Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #8,943 of 13,028
I'm good with the existing pads.
The general perception seems to be that the existing pads leave room for improvement. If I can have better sound - e.g. by slightly elevating the upper regions of the Empy - via new pads, I wouldn't say no. This does not mean that the old pads are crap. Just ... not at maximum yet.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #8,944 of 13,028
That Phoenix empyrean looks incredible. Very nice. I'm impressed.
Yea. But who wants to send their Empyrean to Colorware for a $200 premium and match thy arts. :laughing:

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #8,945 of 13,028
The general perception seems to be that the existing pads leave room for improvement. If I can have better sound - e.g. by slightly elevating the upper regions of the Empy - via new pads, I wouldn't say no. This does not mean that the old pads are crap. Just ... not at maximum yet.
My general perception is that the existing pads are very good as they are, and the very good things are very difficult to improve. If you change something which is almost perfect, there is a high chance to get it worse rather then improve.

Which pads are you using, leather, alcantra or the artificial leather?

I see you had ZMF VC which I am eying as closed back solution. How does it compare to the Empy?

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #8,946 of 13,028
Darkside - Golden Arrow.

Empy good. I know 11min is long to stick out a song, but its a good journey. Kicks off more at like 5min, but no point skipping.

"Heart" is also fun. And "Paper Trails".

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #8,947 of 13,028
My general perception is that the existing pads are very good as they are, and the very good things are very difficult to improve. If you change something which is almost perfect, there is a high chance to get it worse rather then improve.

Which pads are you using, leather, alcantra or the artificial leather?

I see you had ZMF VC which I am eying as closed back solution. How does it compare to the Empy?
I agree.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #8,948 of 13,028
The general perception seems to be that the existing pads leave room for improvement. If I can have better sound - e.g. by slightly elevating the upper regions of the Empy - via new pads, I wouldn't say no.
I am fine with alcantra pads to be frank. This is interesting what You write about elevating the upper region. I think the high tones are quite extensive in Empys but smooth at the same time, especially with alcantra pads.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #8,950 of 13,028
Just wondering, how do the Sonys compare to the empyreans? Looking for a closed back with a similar signature to the empyreans for the office!

J
still own the Empy and sold the Sony’s a long time ago. The z1r is very comfortable and has nice bass, but that’s where the good news ended for me. There is a weird treble spike which hurt my ears and destroyed the signature, making it somewhat harsh. I didn’t like it as much as I had hoped I would.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #8,952 of 13,028
Just wondering, how do the Sonys compare to the empyreans? Looking for a closed back with a similar signature to the empyreans for the office!

J
The Sony are my absolute favorite. The best sounding, best built, and most comfortable headphone. The sound sig is incredible. Lush, detailed, fabulous bass. If I had to choose only one can, including the abyss, the the z1r would be it.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #8,953 of 13,028
still own the Empy and sold the Sony’s a long time ago. The z1r is very comfortable and has nice bass, but that’s where the good news ended for me. There is a weird treble spike which hurt my ears and destroyed the signature, making it somewhat harsh. I didn’t like it as much as I had hoped I would.
I'd disagree completely as I hear no treble spike, and I am extremely sensitive to treble. I sold my 800 because of this issue. Others have commented on the Sony not having this issue as well. I would not own it if it exhibited this problem.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #8,954 of 13,028
The Sony are my absolute favorite. The best sounding, best built, and most comfortable headphone. The sound sig is incredible. Lush, detailed, fabulous bass. If I had to choose only one can, including the abyss, the the z1r would be it.

Good to know, will definitely have to go audition them! How do they do in terms of soundstage, and how do you find the isolation, my office is open plan so as background noise goes it's in large supply, will this be an issue?

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #8,955 of 13,028
Good to know, will definitely have to go audition them! How do they do in terms of soundstage, and how do you find the isolation, my office is open plan so as background noise goes it's in large supply, will this be an issue?
Isolation is fantastic, and the soundstage is wide and deep. They are hands down the best closed back, let alone any can, I have heard. I'd sell the empys and abyss to keep the z1rs if I had to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back