Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #8,911 of 13,037
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #8,912 of 13,037
Let me disagree a little as I have both 789 and Euforia.
I am very curious about the Euforia!
The question is whether it is worth it for me compared to the ifi Pro iCAN?
Have you ever heard the iCAN?

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #8,913 of 13,037
But the Forza (I have Noir Hybrid HPC) sounds much better, to my ears than the Meze Silver cable, which is actually SPC. Which pure silver cable is yours?
Sorry for the late answer, unfortunately I skipped your question.
The cable made an acquaintance for me, the quality is absolutely top, and so was the price. :)

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #8,914 of 13,037
I am very curious about the Euforia!
The question is whether it is worth it for me compared to the ifi Pro iCAN?
Have you ever heard the iCAN?
Unfortunately I don't have experience with Pro ican but from what I have gathered from reading it shouldn't be an easy comparison and decision.

Euforia is marvelous with great 3d layering and holography plus excellent space allocation.
It is fast and energetic but I sense some kind of upper mid forwardness.
But I haven't rolled driver tubes so I don't have experience as how far you can tailor the sound.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #8,915 of 13,037
Let me disagree a little as I have both 789 and Euforia.
789 is crystal clear and well layered so I wouldn't call it congested but rather lacking in holography and body compared to the Euforia.
Seems like our experiences with the 789 are not the same. My 789 seems to lack the ability to sustain control over the Empyrean's drivers when the music gets hectic, when a number of different sounds are to be placed and separated within the soundstage, and the full frequency spectrum is needed. In such situations, whatever sound is most prominent in the mix is brought out, while the rest of the spectrum suffocates. If vocals are dominant in the mix, the bass feels withdrawn. When bass is dominant, the mids get sucked/smeared out. There's a constant struggle for presence in the mix when presence is demanded throughout the entire spectrum, and the soundstage kinda collapses into itself, while also preventing transients pop out as they should.

The Euforia being 1. an OTL tube amp, and 2. about 5 times the price of the 789, I didn't see much of an issue with the shortcomings of the 789, I just retired it and became addicted to listening with the Euforia. But when I recently got the Jotunheim 2 and pulled out the old 789 for a comparison, it all made so much sense. The Jot 2 does not struggle at all to maintain image placement, separation, dynamic contrast and full-spectrum presence amidst the chaos with the Empyrean. And this is no small difference.

I've driven my Empyrean with that 789 until I eventually got the Euforia, and at the time I was used to it, and it was "just fine". But in retrospect, especially now that we have options like the Jot 2 available for only $100 more, I can't consider the 789 "just fine" anymore as an amp pairing with the Empyrean.

P.S. This is just my own experience, my own opinions, likely affected by my own preferences, values and biases. YMMV.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #8,916 of 13,037
PXL_20210310_175229086.jpg

Some Empy pr0n with the work setup but DAMN does it sound great with the Euphoria! Who would've thought an OTL amp could power a planar so well.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #8,917 of 13,037
@Arcayne

Thank you for the feedback and the impressions.

As always such things are more or less subjective.

I am not comparing the 789 to the Euforia , it wouldn't be fair.

I can't concur on your findings though and I don't find the 789 to struggle at all to maintain image placement, separation, dynamic contrast and full-spectrum presence amidst the chaos with the Empyrean.

In my opinion it has absolute control on the Empyrean drivers and the only thing I miss compared to similar solid state offerings is body , mass and depth.

Anyway.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #8,918 of 13,037

Some Empy pr0n with the work setup but DAMN does it sound great with the Euphoria! Who would've thought an OTL amp could power a planar so well.
What are the driver and the power tubes?

As I can see you also have the 789.

What is your brief opinion of it?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #8,919 of 13,037
What are the driver and the power tubes?

As I can see you also have the 789.

What is your brief opinion of it?
I had something typed up but I feel I didn't give it a fair shake like I did with the Feliks. Let me do a tad more listening and will give you a brief take.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #8,920 of 13,037
I don't know if I'm qualified to comment on LCD-XC' sonic character, but I have LCD-X, and if I'm correct, LCD-X and XC share the same driver, but XC being closed back. I have auditioned the XC and X five years ago before I decided to buy the X. If memory serves me well, these two share similar sound signature but the X sounds more open/ whilst the XC has better bass and mid response.

HPS.jpg

Comparing the X and Empyrean, my finding is that... with my setup (in sig), Empyrean sounds superior to the X. Soundstage (headstage) is a lot better, so is treble details. Mid-bass of LCD-X hits harder, but IMO, the Empy is not far behind (Empy's bass goes lower though). Overall... I can't go back to LCD-X after having the Empy. I believe it is superior to the LCD-X in every aspect.
@PrTv - I just stumbled across your photo and apologies if someone has already asked, but you have two of the very headphones at the top of my list: If you could choose only one, would you choose the Emphyrean or the Utopia? I'm hoping to narrow down my decision and would appreciate your input!

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #8,923 of 13,037

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back