Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #8,926 of 13,037
PXL_20210310_175229086.jpg

Some Empy pr0n with the work setup but DAMN does it sound great with the Euphoria! Who would've thought an OTL amp could power a planar so well.
How is the 280 with the Empy? :)
I'm not a tube guy, so curious about that pairing.

Thank you.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #8,927 of 13,037
Welp, I’d like to blame the pandemic and a year of lockdown at home but I FINALLY bit the bullet and ordered the Empyrean. This is my endgame. Open box, because it was a sick deal with full warranty. Now look for some old gear to show up in the classifieds! 😆

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #8,928 of 13,037
Welp, I’d like to blame the pandemic and a year of lockdown at home but I FINALLY bit the bullet and ordered the Empyrean. This is my endgame. Open box, because it was a sick deal with full warranty. Now look for some old gear to show up in the classifieds! 😆
Yeah the Empyrean is truly endgame!

What Kind of old gear are you looking for?

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #8,929 of 13,037
I think he's saying HIS old gear will be in the classifieds.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #8,930 of 13,037
How is the 280 with the Empy? :)
I'm not a tube guy, so curious about that pairing.

Thank you.
Tons of power, and the Empyrean responds amazingly well to that but it is a warmer amp so as much of a V280/281 fanboy that I am I kind of want to see how the Empy sounds on a more neutral TOTL-ish solid state.

Edit- after more comparisons with the Euforia on electronic/synth I have to mention that the V280's superior handling & control of sub bass is just divine. Warmth on the right setup is never a bad thing but I was comparing piano on the Empy with the Euforia & Violectric. I love how the OTL gives such texture and definition in the mid region which outshined the V280 but when I switched music genres the latter gave me much more desirable results :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #8,931 of 13,037
Mar 10, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #8,933 of 13,037
Hehe. Yeah I was more speaking about the need to sell off a bunch of gear to make up for the cost of the Empys.
I actually did the very same After buying my Empyrean.

I sold 7 headphones After getting the Empyrean and bought only a single additional pair. Leaving me at 2 in total.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #8,934 of 13,037
Tons of power, and the Empyrean responds amazingly well to that but it is a warmer amp so as much of a V280/281 fanboy that I am I kind of want to see how the Empy sounds on a more neutral TOTL-ish solid state.

Edit- after more comparisons with the Euforia on electronic/synth I have to mention that the V280's superior handling & control of sub bass is just divine. Warmth on the right setup is never a bad thing but I was comparing piano on the Empy with the Euforia & Violectric. I love how the OTL gives such texture and definition in the mid region which outshined the V280 but when I switched music genres the latter gave me much more desirable results :gs1000smile:
I had a look at the Violectric stuff that'd fit my needs. :see_no_evil:
To be on par with what i have, i've to jump right to the DHA 590. ^^
Holy crap. :)

Would like to hear the Quads with that amp.
But 3.8k € is a lot money to spend.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #8,936 of 13,037

This is interesteing. Having tried Meze with solid state amps I prefer them with tube amps for the reasons mentioned above. Never heard Euforia (setup many people here have) but OTL design may cause bass to be less controlled. At least this is something I experienced with La Figaro 339 and Meze. With My Ayon the bass is really well defined. This leads to conclusion that a tube transformer output amp may be the optimal option. This is obviously subjective.

@ThanatosVI I suppose the Empy's bass with Octave is like a hammer?

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #8,937 of 13,037
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #8,938 of 13,037
This is interesteing. Having tried Meze with solid state amps I prefer them with tube amps for the reasons mentioned above. Never heard Euforia (setup many people here have) but OTL design may cause bass to be less controlled. At least this is something I experienced with La Figaro 339 and Meze. With My Ayon the bass is really well defined. This leads to conclusion that a tube transformer output amp may be the optimal option. This is obviously subjective.

@ThanatosVI I suppose the Empy's bass with Octave is like a hammer?
Interesting. I sold my tube amp and stuck with SS Bryston.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #8,940 of 13,037
Anyone else see that Meze's releasing a limited edition version, the Empyrean Phoenix? $4000, limited to 100 manufactured.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back