Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #8,791 of 13,028
I went, I saw, I listened, I fell in love, there is now a massive Hugo TT2 sized hole in my wallet, but absolutely 0 regret :)

151224166_880334569196624_6226080016097422815_n.jpg

Hopefully your BL also gets some use once in a while :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #8,794 of 13,028
Thanks and enjoy :beerchug:
BL = Black Label iFi? Haha New speak.
1613647267649.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #8,796 of 13,028
Hmm that Phonitor has taken my attention. I see you're also having RME ADI-2 as me, from which I'm currently feeding Empyreans and I sense that they're being underpowered. Could you please describe sound improvements, when playing Empys from Phonitor instead of RME's own amp output? I'm really considering pulling a trigger on that one, but I could use some advice from a personal experience. Thank you!
also curious. just received mine today and already love them- using a topping a90/d90 stack while waiting for a DNA tube amp. I am curiously looking for a SS that can give that power and oompf

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #8,799 of 13,028
A bit random: Can anyone recommend me an IEM with a similar sound signature to the Empy?

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #8,800 of 13,028
also curious. just received mine today and already love them- using a topping a90/d90 stack while waiting for a DNA tube amp. I am curiously looking for a SS that can give that power and oomph.

RebelAmp - class A headphone amplifier & preamp​

-

CUSTOMER REVIEWS​

Based on 19 reviews
Write a review
95%
(18) = 5 Stars

-
1613941996733.png

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #8,801 of 13,028

RebelAmp - class A headphone amplifier & preamp​

-

CUSTOMER REVIEWS​

Based on 19 reviews
Write a review
95%
(18) = 5 Stars

-
1613941996733.png
Just read about this one yesterday, along with the audio GD master 19. The rebel amp seems to be sold out unfortunately

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #8,803 of 13,028
A bit random: Can anyone recommend me an IEM with a similar sound signature to the Empy?
There are 2 IEM’s that I consider worthy of comparison to top headphones. They are the VE Erlkonig which is no longer made and the Oriolus Traillii. The Traillii has won a number of awards. It’s sound signature will not be exactly like the Empy, but worthy of a choice of one over the other. The Traillii also lists for $6k which is astronomical, so it is more expensive than the Empy even on sale.

A reviewer on Headfonics wrote this;

“The tonality is also in a world-class balance without leaning towards a certain frequency range. It has a very natural, coherent sound and the transition is gapless and silky smooth from the bottom to the top. To my ear, the Traillii sounds more like a planar headphone rather than a multi-BA or an electrostatic hybrid IEM.”

I am not sure I completely agree, but you get the point. Nevertheless it is a terrific IEM.

A less expensive alternative might be a Dunu Luna. It will have a smooth treble (smoother than Empy) and midrange and can provide good bass when called for, but it cannot match the Empy for bass power or overall signature. However, I do find it extremely comfortable though you will have to find the right tips for its bass to shine ( I recommend the Azla SednaEarFitLight Shorts which are available on amazon). This you can get from MusicTeck for $1300.00 US ( I believe they ship overseas ) as well as the Traillii.

I wrote a review for each on MusicTeck’s website under “Frankie D.” You can read them there for more information. Feel free to let me know if you would like me to compare a track for you. Tks.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #8,804 of 13,028
also curious. just received mine today and already love them- using a topping a90/d90 stack while waiting for a DNA tube amp. I am curiously looking for a SS that can give that power and oompf

I've just looked up DNA headphone amps and I'm very impressed - and not many valve amps do that for me.

I know of Donald North and he makes very good gear.
Volume controls are TKD volume controls - I know these are excellent as I've used them in a preamp. They are a clever mix of resistors and pot, sound is better than Alps black. and much better than Alps blue which I find very uninspiring.
Input valves are good, much better than 12AU7 that is often used.
Starlett uses a triode wired 6DG6 pentode output stage - I do the same in my amp, though with a less powerful valve. I looked up the 6DG6 with the intention of trying it - but it does not have enough gain in triode mode so I'd need a driver stage. My amp avoids having a driver, with gains in sound quality.

If I'm a bit hard on some components and valves I'd just say that used well they can sound good; but to get to 'great' one has to look for the best.

Of course I have not heard any DNA amps but I see how well they are designed and engineered, and I think they achieve 'great'.

I know I'm biased, but why on earth look for a SS amp when you will soon have such a good amp with (I expect) quite enough drive, and far better tonality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back