Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #8,161 of 12,974
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #8,162 of 12,974
I enjoyed the silver from Arctic Cables, Moon Audio, and Norne more than Lavricable. I was using the Lavricable Grand, but felt it was a little grainy and harsh up top. Still works well with Empy but, not so well with the Utopia.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #8,163 of 12,974
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #8,164 of 12,974
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #8,165 of 12,974
Listen to Marillion - Emerald lies
It is realy breathtaking with Empyreans :L3000:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/4674583
I have both norne siliverguard s4 and meze SPC, they both sounds great to me. With s4 you hear tiny bit more detail in the highs and the imaging is tiny bit more precise. With MEZE SPC, the vocal sounds more emotional. So, it depends on what music you usually listen to. But tbh, the delta is super small here, either one will work fine in all genres without comparison.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #8,168 of 12,974
One question about the Lavricables:
How did he handle the splitter? I never saw any picture from this part, the cable goes twice for left & right connection.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #8,169 of 12,974
One question about the Lavricables:
How did he handle the splitter? I never saw any picture from this part, the cable goes twice for left & right connection.

I have the version without sleeve. the braiding separates into two individual strands and there is some clear heatshrink tubing wrapped around that part.

/edit: the resulting two strands are kinda flat, whereas the entire thing below the splitter is square-shaped.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #8,170 of 12,974
Do you guys think 1 reason so many people criticize Empyrean is because some people are actually getting defective units? I heard from one audiophile this is exactly what happened and when he got the corrected one it was much better.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #8,172 of 12,974
Do you guys think 1 reason so many people criticize Empyrean is because some people are actually getting defective units? I heard from one audiophile this is exactly what happened and when he got the corrected one it was much better.
The Empyrean is actually one pair of headphones with amazing quality assurance.
I heard a lot of Bad stuff about Hifiman, Audeze etc. but never about Meze headphones.
So if this this affects some of the critics, then I guess overall much less than it does affect other manufacturers

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #8,173 of 12,974
What was the problem with the defective ones?

The sound was very congested, lacking detail and instrument separation. These are common complaints of Empy detractors.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #8,175 of 12,974
The sound was very congested, lacking detail and instrument separation. These are common complaints of Empy detractors.
I don't think they got defective units.
How people think of the sound of Empy is really depends on what HPs do they come from. If they get used to some brighter, classic music-focused HPs like HD800/s, T1, K812, they probably will think Empy is congested and dull. The soundstage of Empy is not as wide as those, and the treble is not boosted in a certain frequency range(actually it is a little bit darker than the target curve). However, if they come from sth darker like Audezes, they might think Empy is more transparent.
If you really get into orchestral music, for example, symphony, you might not find Empy is your cup of tea since those kinds of music require very wide stage and emphasized highs.
I actually like how orchestral music sounds on Empys, although the stage is not that wide, but it is decently deep and the layering ability is better than my t1, those kinds of advantage make me enjoy the music more than a very wide stage does. If Empys has a very wide stage, that would be a really perfect end game for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back