Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #8,116 of 13,028
Just joined the Empyrean club last night. So far it sounds okay with my elise otl amp. But that could be due to my driver and power tube combination. But it does sound magnificent with my gsx-mini. Cant beat the sound.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #8,117 of 13,028
Just joined the Empyrean club last night. So far it sounds okay with my elise otl amp. But that could be due to my driver and power tube combination. But it does sound magnificent with my gsx-mini. Cant beat the sound.
Glad you like it! I head it with a Chord Hugo 2 and it was stunning. I think it works best with clean solid states, as the tubes may make the already warm sound too warm.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #8,118 of 13,028
I did my comparison listening. I found the Emp to be better than: Abyss Phi, Utopia, HEKv2, 800S, E2, LCD-4z, HE-6 (all types).

#2 & 3: Very close.

3. I found the HEKse about as good as the Emp - for folks that enjoy a lively possibly fatiguing sound. Bass isn't a match to the E2 or Abyss or LCD4.

2. I found the Emp (not Utopia !!) to be smoother, but with bass that would require dynamat for me to listen (too bloomy), I am still finding a summing effect in the treble on complex passages - but its not a major frequent issue.

#1: Susvara. No question among dynamic and planar this is the best I've heard. Low bass is accurate and layered, but a bit short of grunt. That's it. Details and clarity mix with warmth and cohesion. Very special.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #8,119 of 13,028
I did my comparison listening. I found the Emp to be better than: Abyss Phi, Utopia, HEKv2, 800S, E2, LCD-4z, HE-6 (all types).

#2 & 3: Very close.

3. I found the HEKse about as good as the Emp - for folks that enjoy a lively possibly fatiguing sound. Bass isn't a match to the E2 or Abyss or LCD4.

2. I found the Utopia to be smoother, but with bass that would require dynamat for me to listen (too bloomy), I am still finding a summing effect in the treble on complex passages - but its not a major frequent issue.

#1: Susvara. No question among dynamic and planar this is the best I've heard. Low bass is accurate and layered, but a bit short of grunt. That's it. Details and clarity mix with warmth and cohesion. Very special.
Thanks for your comparisons!

Interesting stuff. I was surprised that you called the Utopia 'smooth' and its bass 'bloomy' -- not what I hear.

Also on HEKse vs E2 bass, my ears hear E2 bass as very well extended and super 'clean'. But I also hear HEKse bass is a bit fuller without seeming at all bloated. So at the end of the day, I would call it 'two different tasty bass flavors' :)

Finally, to me, Utopia is way more 'fatiguing' than HEKse.

Your ears/my ears, right?

Were these all compared using the same chain, or 'best chain' for each?

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #8,120 of 13,028
... also love the detailed, airy open sound of HD800S ...
For this aspect, I can't say I've heard any can further away from HD-800S than Empyrean.

I'm not criticizing -- just saying that where HD-800S is 'open and airy', Empy is lush and enveloping, with a headstage which wraps around you like a warm blanket. Just a completely opposite effect vs HD-800. Note that I'm strictly talking about headstage/imaging -- nothing to do with speed, dynamics or detail, although presumably Empy's 'darker' tonality contributes to the headstage effect.

Empy is going to be fairly close to Atticus in tonality though.

Really, you pose a tough challenge. The 'open airy' sound you hear is at least partly a consequence of HD-800 tonality. So the minute you turn toward something near Atticus tonality, you are turning away from the HD-800 headstage.

Closest I've heard to the HD-800 stage is HEKv2. But HEKv2 tonality is nearly as 'opposite' Atticus as Empy stage is opposite HD-800.

Aeolus maybe? Certainly going to be close to Atticus tonality, with a more open sound. But certainly not 'open and airy' to the same extent as HD-800.

JMHO of course :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #8,122 of 13,028
Thanks for your comparisons!

Interesting stuff. I was surprised that you called the Utopia 'smooth' and its bass 'bloomy' -- not what I hear.

Sorry brain fart. That was supposed to say Emp. I do not care for the Utopia.

Also on HEKse vs E2 bass, my ears hear E2 bass as very well extended and super 'clean'. But I also hear HEKse bass is a bit fuller without seeming at all bloated. So at the end of the day, I would call it 'two different tasty bass flavors' :)

OK, they are close.

Finally, to me, Utopia is way more 'fatiguing' than HEKse.

Your ears/my ears, right?

Were these all compared using the same chain, or 'best chain' for each?

No, I'm with you on Utopia.

Those 5 (Sus, E2, HEKse, Utopia, Emp) all on same chain. Fairly short w/ HEKse, E2 and Utopia - :18-:20 minutes, :45 w/ Emp and :75 with Susvara

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #8,123 of 13,028
Anyone using their beloved Empys with GSX-mini? if so, whats your ear pad choice? Leather or Alcantara?

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #8,125 of 13,028
Empyrean works very well with GSX Mini. I prefer leather pads, and a good fat copper or hybrid cable. I use EQ, but it’s great even without it.

Ohh thats good to hear. I do as well. Right now i m looking for a cable as well. I m listening using my Norne Silvergrade S4 all Silver cable (originally made for my VC) and it sounds good. HOwever i am wondering if you or anybody can give me any suggestion regarding aftermarket cable.

Forza Noir/ Noir hybrid? Norne Draug? ZMF 2k copper? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #8,126 of 13,028
Ohh thats good to hear. I do as well. Right now i m looking for a cable as well. I m listening using my Norne Silvergrade S4 all Silver cable (originally made for my VC) and it sounds good. HOwever i am wondering if you or anybody can give me any suggestion regarding aftermarket cable.

Forza Noir/ Noir hybrid? Norne Draug? ZMF 2k copper? Any suggestion is appreciated.

I have ZMF 2k copper and Forza Noir Hybrid. They sound different, but equally good. I prefer both of them to silver (Moon Silver Dragon 3 Premium) or SPC (Meze).

I am thinking of getting the Capistrano Cables modular 16 strand copper cable, as I need another fat copper cable in my world. I’m probably going to sell the silver and SPC, since they are seeing so little use.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #8,127 of 13,028
I have ZMF 2k copper and Forza Noir Hybrid. They sound different, but equally good. I prefer both of them to silver (Moon Silver Dragon 3 Premium) or SPC (Meze).
If its not too much of a trouble, can you plz describe the different sound between the ZMF and Forza?

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #8,129 of 13,028
Looking forward to your findings....

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #8,130 of 13,028
I wouldn't go that far, unless the Susvara's at the time of listening were not properly driven. The Emyprean's are much easier to drive. Therefore they sound great on just about anything. The Susvara's on the other hand, need the power of a good amplifier to sound their best. Not just any amplifier either, which makes them more picky about what's powering them.
susvara and abyss TC vs empyrean?seriously?...no comparison ...the empyrean is a fine HP I used to own it but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back