Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #7,681 of 13,028
Yea I'd go with Norne over any company that wouldn't take their crap back. Over the years I've heard plenty of people I respect that say

1) Not all gears can show you the difference between cables.
2) Power supply cables make a bigger difference than speaker cables.

So if you want to improve the sound without changing the Empyrean too much I would testdrive the Norne cable and check out this relatively cheap "Cullen Crossover cord power cable" http://www.cullencable.com/crossover-series/

At the moment I'm using a Chord Shawline power cable to a Matrix 2 block and another to the Aries G1. I have a Roon i5NUC connected to G1 with a Wireworld Starlight 8 Cat8 cable. Original power block to the TT2 and a large Power Bank to the M Scaler with WW Starlight BNCs. I use TQ Silver II speaker cable from XLR adapters on the TT2 into PMC 25.22.

The headphone cable is probably the last piece in the jigsaw.... for quite a while anyway :)

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #7,682 of 13,028
At the moment I'm using a Chord Shawline power cable to a Matrix 2 block and another to the Aries G1. I have a Roon i5NUC connected to G1 with a Wireworld Starlight 8 Cat8 cable. Original power block to the TT2 and a large Power Bank to the M Scaler with WW Starlight BNCs. I use TQ Silver II speaker cable from XLR adapters on the TT2 into PMC 25.22.

The headphone cable is probably the last piece in the jigsaw.... for quite a while anyway :)
Wanna buy my stock power cables to compare ? :gs1000smile:

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #7,683 of 13,028
Any impressions of the empyreans pairing with the DCS Bartok? Asking for a friend :gs1000smile:

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #7,684 of 13,028
Wanna buy my stock power cables to compare ? :gs1000smile:
Haha... I'll never say never! I'll be stepping off the upgrade cycle after this headphone cable... been a lot of changes this year.... i.e. everything. From a Naim system to one that's a lot more compact and revealing. I'm looking forward to a winter with a good system, music, headphones with a rather nice single malt :beerchug:

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #7,685 of 13,028
Haha... I'll never say never! I'll be stepping off the upgrade cycle after this headphone cable... been a lot of changes this year.... i.e. everything. From a Naim system to one that's a lot more compact and revealing. I'm looking forward to a winter with a good system, music, headphones with a rather nice single malt :beerchug:
Wait only plans till end of the year ?!

I am planned out for several yeas (due to budget problems):D

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #7,686 of 13,028
Wait only plans till end of the year ?!

I am planned out for several yeas (due to budget problems):D

I tend to go through spells 😁... the last time I upgraded was about 5 years ago... nothing in-between then and June this year. So, after this cable I intend to sit back and not think our worry about new gear and enjoy what I have. Then (probably)... in another 5 years or so I may look again... depending on what's around. If there hasn't been anything significant then I'll carry on saving until there is.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #7,687 of 13,028
I tend to go through spells 😁... the last time I upgraded was about 5 years ago... nothing in-between then and June this year. So, after this cable I intend to sit back and not think our worry about new gear and enjoy what I have. Then (probably)... in another 5 years or so I may look again... depending on what's around. If there hasn't been anything significant then I'll carry on saving until there is.
I see, I did similar in the past, last upgrade was 2017 until this year.

Then this year I started with Arya and read about possible upgrades of my chain (which would have been a ~2500€ Schiit stack at first) and somehow I read too long on these forums and now have an Empyrean and completely different plans for the chain :D

On the bright side, after this chain upgrade I can be "done" with it for a looooooong time.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #7,688 of 13,028
I see, I did similar in the past, last upgrade was 2017 until this year.

Then this year I started with Arya and read about possible upgrades of my chain (which would have been a ~2500€ Schiit stack at first) and somehow I read too long on these forums and now have an Empyrean and completely different plans for the chain :D

On the bright side, after this chain upgrade I can be "done" with it for a looooooong time.

Haha... yeah, that's certainly how I'm thinking 👍🏻

Just waiting on the reply of two emails and then I'll know what the finish line looks like 😂

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #7,689 of 13,028
Haha... yeah, that's certainly how I'm thinking 👍🏻

Just waiting on the reply of two emails and then I'll know what the finish line looks like 😂

keep us posted on the cable outcome. I’m considering the empys via xlr as an alternative to my Stellias as my headamp can accommodate both jack and xlr switchable between them.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #7,690 of 13,028
keep us posted on the cable outcome. I’m considering the empys via xlr as an alternative to my Stellias as my headamp can accommodate both jack and xlr switchable between them.

Will do... Meze came back to me a little while ago and provided a distributor contact... who've also been in touch and now looking to see if anyone can get me some cables to demo. Waiting on Norne but I guess they'll have way less staff resources.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #7,691 of 13,028
Will do... Meze came back to me a little while ago and provided a distributor contact... who've also been in touch and now looking to see if anyone can get me some cables to demo. Waiting on Norne but I guess they'll have way less staff resources.

will you have to pay import duty on the Norne given it’s coming from across the pond I presume?

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #7,692 of 13,028
will you have to pay import duty on the Norne given it’s coming from across the pond I presume?

I'd imagine so... it's another consideration!

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #7,695 of 13,028

Users who are viewing this thread

Back