Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #7,711 of 12,984
Got these recently and loving everything about them except one thing: when I use them to play any kind of music, at any volume, after about 10' I start getting some sort ear pressure/discomfort. It's mild but noticeable enough to always make me aware of them and eventually i have to put them down because of this.

It happens with any source and with both velour and leather pads, and it makes no sense since these are both open HPs and very laid back sonically. And no, i haven't experienced this with other HPs, even though these are my first planars, but this shouldn't matter right?

So, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so if it went away with use or if you found a solution.

Thanks!

Yes, I have this problem, but the right ear only, and immediately I put them on and with nothing playing. I think it's the seal around the ear and the massive cups. It's a weird sensation. I haven't quite worked out whether I'll live with it longer term but it's something I've never experienced with any other headphone ( Utopia, 800S, LCD2 amongst others).

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #7,712 of 12,984
Yes, I have this problem, but the right ear only, and immediately I put them on and with nothing playing. I think it's the seal around the ear and the massive cups. It's a weird sensation. I haven't quite worked out whether I'll live with it longer term but it's something I've never experienced with any other headphone ( Utopia, 800S, LCD2 amongst others).
Thanks for confirming I was wondering if I didnt get a defective pair. Let me know if you decide to keep them or not. I would send them back but no other HPs right now seem to have this perfect mix of comfort, sound and build as these. So I might just have to tough it out...

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #7,713 of 12,984
Would one recommend Empyrean to someone who owns and enjoys both Clear Pro and Stellia?
would recommend Empyrean to any true lover of music and one who appreciates beautiful sounds. To borrow words from a reviewer, the Empyrean sounds very natural but instruments sound like what you wish real world instruments would sound like. Don't bother with the Focal clear. many have said it poses a mild metallic sound. For $1000 new like from a year ago it would be considerable. But $1,500 - gotta pass. Empyrean is much better at most aspects if not all.

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #7,714 of 12,984
One week anniversary

Attachments

• 692E645D-593B-4754-95CE-DC187D136085.jpeg
    692E645D-593B-4754-95CE-DC187D136085.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #7,715 of 12,984
Thanks for confirming I was wondering if I didnt get a defective pair. Let me know if you decide to keep them or not. I would send them back but no other HPs right now seem to have this perfect mix of comfort, sound and build as these. So I might just have to tough it out...

You know when you have a fridge door and when you get very close to closing it, suction takes over, it shuts and seals and then it needs a bit of force to open it again. That's what I think is happening with the Empyreans and my right ear albeit with lesser forces in play.
On the other hand, of course, I could just be going slightly mad....
I do love their sound, though.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #7,716 of 12,984
You know when you have a fridge door and when you get very close to closing it, suction takes over, it shuts and seals and then it needs a bit of force to open it again. That's what I think is happening with the Empyreans and my right ear albeit with lesser forces in play.
On the other hand, of course, I could just be going slightly mad....
I do love their sound, though.
Either one of your ear is defected or the headphone is defected. No in-between. I recommend reversing the headphone so the right side is now on your left ear, see if the problem persists. If so then return it for a new one.

I don't know what is wrong with my left ear but when kids cry or laugh really loud, it crackles in my left ear for the last few years. No other noise would replicate it. I've tried cleaning my earwax with the appropriate tool and it is finally better now. Those pesky earwax deep in the ear canal can be real tricky to remove. ps don't use Qtip

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #7,719 of 12,984
I sold my Clears after I bought the Empyrean.
Empyrean's are a much better headphone than the Clears to my ears. I use to own the Clear Pro's and had the Empyrean's in home for a demo. I preferred the Empyrean's over them. The Empyrean's had more bass, better midrange, and smoother treble.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #7,721 of 12,984
Focal is too busy selling their $300,000 speakers. They don't have time to adjust the price of an old product with old technology. When you look at comfort, sound, beauty, driveability, and possibly longevity of the Empyrean, the Clear would be way back at the starting line. If you can manage to snatch the Empyrean for a good price during the holiday sales you will be an absolute winner.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #7,722 of 12,984
Focal is too busy selling their $300,000 speakers. They don't have time to adjust the price of an old product with old technology. When you look at comfort, sound, beauty, driveability, and possibly longevity of the Empyrean, the Clear would be way back at the starting line. If you can manage to snatch the Empyrean for a good price during the holiday sales you will be an absolute winner.

Thanks guys!

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #7,724 of 12,984
One week anniversary

I bought mine a day or so before you I think... I was so engrossed I forgot their anniversary :scream:

So, I bought them a silver necklace to make up and say I'm sorry :gs1000smile:

izel_20-09-16-273.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back