Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #7,308 of 12,974
They should make interchangeable back too so we can make it open or closed back like how we can change the pads.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #7,309 of 12,974
They should make interchangeable back too so we can make it open or closed back like how we can change the pads.
DIY: get a couple of empty ice cream containers and put them on the outside of the ear cups as you wish

Good luck with that idea

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #7,310 of 12,974
Might there be an Empyrean 2.0 this year?
Or, a closed-back version?
Hopefully not yet, I need to buy like 3 other things before

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #7,312 of 12,974
@Army-Firedawg Wow amazing review. The video was a very nice touch. I could sense your love for gears stem from a true love for music and not the other way around. I really admire that. Would love to see more reviews from you.

Thank you very much for those kind words. I sincerely appreciate them my friend.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #7,314 of 12,974
So i spent the day tube rolling with the Empyrean and i think i found what i liked best with it. (With the Schiit MJ2)
Siemens E88CC 6922 - MINT NOS NIB 1974 A-Frame Gold Pin with Metal Stamp Date Code A6 4E
(which i got here) https://www.tubemonger.com/Siemens_1974_E88CC_6922_A_Frame_Gold_Pin_NOS_NIB_p/1197.htm

some things to note:
I don't love these headphones, so maybe what these tubes are doing for me, might not be what people, that already love these headphones, are going to like.
Tube -anything will change the sound (like EQ in glass) - so you aren't getting the most pure reproduction of the music. That said, the newer/fancy amps are pretty much in solidstate level of reproduction. (Then what is the point of using a tube then if not to flavor? well, they still look cool. Some like the PrimaLuna have a button that can switch between ultra-linear and tube funk.)
Tube rolling is for crazy people.. and a general tube suggestion, if you have a headphone tube amp that uses 6922 just get the Golden Lion tubes. Done. They are good quality. Money saved. Note, these are Russians tubes, and Russians will sell you junk. So get the tubes (any tubes) from a place you trust AND that they are tested. (and matched, if needed.)

why do i like these Simens? short version, they rain in some of the bass (which these headphones are biased toward but to their credit aren't boomy.) bass is nice and dynamic still, cleans up the mids/more vivid and opens some more on the top.
The down side it microphonic. It will pick up any vibration. That said, anyone screwing with tubes should have isolated / detached the amp from what it is sitting on. (a speaker system with these tubes might be a problem if the music shakes them, but not a problem with headphones.)
I'd suggest not using socket savers unless they are high quality. The el-cheapo ones will make everything sound worse. Having problems getting the tubes out (which can be a problem with the mj2) put on a latex glove. Those really help getting a grip on the tubes to pull them out.

Another tube that works well with these Meze:
Bel E88CC / 6922 (1960s)
It is from India (!?!) but owned by Philips and it is the same model as the Amperex.
I find that it opens the top (which i think these headphones need)
Zero microphony.
(I think the Siemens A-frame edges it out on most content, but they both sound a lot like. Well... no.. i like the Bel more - mainly in the bass, but on some content the Bel can turn those open highs to too "bright". The Bel is more "tube-y" in the bass.) If i had on some Nora Jones, i'd use the Bel. Something more popy or classical i'd use the Siemens. But you can't go wrong with either (but all content seems to love the Siemens.)
20200705_001745657_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #7,315 of 12,974
Another tube that works well with these Meze:
Bel E88CC / 6922 (1960s)
It is from India (!?!) but owned by Philips and it is the same model as the Amperex.
I find that it opens the top (which i think these headphones need)
Zero microphony.
(I think the Siemens A-frame edges it out on most content, but they both sound a lot like. Well... no.. i like the Bel more - mainly in the bass, but on some content the Bel can turn those open highs to too "bright". The Bel is more "tube-y" in the bass.) If i had on some Nora Jones, i'd use the Bel. Something more popy or classical i'd use the Siemens. But you can't go wrong with either (but all content seems to love the Siemens.)
20200705_001745657_iOS.jpg
Nice, I just have a variety I bought from the tubestore that I use in my amp for the empys. Tube rolling is fun.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #7,319 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back