Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 13, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5,431 of 12,974
I there is only one that I know of that allows for the ear cups to be tilted and has sub bass that can be heard and felt. That would be the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. I am n ok t saying that it is for everyone and I really like tha empyrean. The Abyss for me takes the best of the HD800, LCD4, Stax sr009s, and the Utopia and marries them into a really great sounding headphone. The look is most certainly not its strongest attribute for sure.
A fellow Head-Fi member once described the look of the TC as a torturing device from the middle ages. :) That paired with the difficulties of getting a good fit makes the Abyss TC a challenging choice. Although I am quite sure the sound is sublime, even to my preference. But then there is price too...
I think my perfect headphone will come out in five years. That's actually not too long to wait. :)
Sound of the Abyss TC in the comfort and build of the Empy for not more than 2.5-3K. One can dream.

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #5,432 of 12,974
I know, for some reason the Empyrean thread is not the friendliest and most accepting one on Head-Fi, but I like to experiment. :)

I still love my Empyreans out of the TT2, this combo is the best I have ever tried and owned so far. But you know, as most of us I also can't stop thinking what could be improved.
I really loved my LCD2C for the bass. I also like the bass on the LCD4 a bit more than on the Empyrean. Mids and treble however are much more natural and airier on the Meze flagship, so trading in that last bits of bass impact and clarity is not really a question for me. I quite like the natural tone of the Verité (and Aeolus) but dynamic drivers just cant give me satisfying enough bass impact versus planar transducers when it comes to EDM. I like the clarity and detail of Focal headphones but to me they are a bit too upfront especially in the treble. I need something more relaxing than Focal but perhaps not quite as warmish and relaxing as the Empy? After a short audition I actually quite liked the HD800S, or at least some aspects of it (was a surprise to me). The spaciousness, separation refinement, definition was spot on. What I missed from the HD800S is a bit more bass impact (planar fan here) and just a little more soul/musicality.
Hifiman, before I forget it... And I won't mention build quality here. I owned and liked the HEXV2. Tonality is spot on for my taste, spaciousness is almost too much (I don't always want to listen to an open air concert), bass is there but not as focused as I like. The whole picture is a bit diffuse. I prefer the LCD line for focus and bass, although Hifiman is more spacious and more natural sounding. HEKV2 is better detailed and focused (short audition) but I have similar preference problems as I had with my HEXV2.

Up to this date the Empyrean is the best compromise I have ever tried for my taste and needs. What I would improve on the Empyrean is clarity, refinement, even more insight especially in the low frequencies. A flatter and a hint crisper, clearer bass impact (like LCD4). The natural and friendly tonality of the Empyrean is spot on and a unique selling point at this price range. (Not to mention comfort.)

To me the Empyrean is the best overall package I have tried so far, but that doesn't mean I couldn't or wouldn't want to tweak anything further.
Looking at my taste and history with headphones the only candidates that would worth for me to try are the Susvara and Abyss headphones. Both the Susvara and Abyss TC cost twice as much as the Empy. Technically they must be better, but technical performance is not everything when you are ready to drop 3-6K on a headphone. The new Diana V2 looks interesting, but I love my bass and from 3-4 sources I heard bass is not Diana V2's strength.

I guess my thoughts might contribute to further Meze developments instead. Remember, even just five years ago what headphones we had. Hardly anything from what I have just mentioned. Imagine, what headphones will come out in the next five years. This hobby is sky rocketing at the moment and it is still just the beginning.

I agree with your evaluations for the most part and the only thing I have to add is that you should add the Rosson Rad-0 to the list to audition with the Susvara and Abyss. I was pleasantly surprised by it and consider it a TOTL headphone that fixed a lot of the issues I had personally with the LCD-4. I only had 20ish minutes with it while at a headphone meet but was more than happy with its performance. It did not have the comfort the Empy does though (although it is quite a bit lighter than the LCD-4).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #5,433 of 12,974
I agree with your evaluations to the most part and the only thing I have to add is that you should add the Rosson Rad-0 to the list to audition with the Susvara and Abyss. I was pleasantly surprised by it and consider it a TOTL headphone that fixed a lot of the issues I had personally with the LCD-4. I only had 20ish minutes with it while at a headphone meet but was more than happy with its performance. It did not have the comfort the Empy does though (although it is quite a bit lighter than the LCD-4).
I know, I would love to audition the RAD0 although the opinions I have heard are quite controversial. Weight is a big issue as I can't really find any headphone comfortable over 500g.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #5,434 of 12,974
I agree with your evaluations for the most part and the only thing I have to add is that you should add the Rosson Rad-0 to the list to audition with the Susvara and Abyss. I was pleasantly surprised by it and consider it a TOTL headphone that fixed a lot of the issues I had personally with the LCD-4. I only had 20ish minutes with it while at a headphone meet but was more than happy with its performance. It did not have the comfort the Empy does though (although it is quite a bit lighter than the LCD-4).
Maybe Rosson got the sound “right”, but they blew it with the ergonomics. Too heavy, too clampy, different pinnout on their cables and can’t say I am that fond of the colors either......that’s just me.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,435 of 12,974
Maybe Rosson got the sound “right”, but they blew it with the ergonomics. Too heavy, too clampy, different pinnout on their cables and can’t say I am that fond of the colors either......that’s just me.
I agree, perhaps Rosson has improved on the sound a bit, but comfort and weight is the same bad old Audeze LCD4. The flashy colours also didn't get my attention.
The potential sonic improvement is just not enough to justify the bad old ergonomics. 650g is still very heavy. Swapping to 3.5mm from mini XLR was also a mistake.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,436 of 12,974
The only issue I had ergonomics wise was that the clamping force was a tad too much.. and the colors are going to vary.. I've seen some I Liked and some I really didn't. you can custom order your colors etc... as far as the cable termination... yeah.. we can all agree that was a blunder

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #5,437 of 12,974
I there is only one that I know of that allows for the ear cups to be tilted and has sub bass that can be heard and felt. That would be the Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC. I am n ok t saying that it is for everyone and I really like tha empyrean. The Abyss for me takes the best of the HD800, LCD4, Stax sr009s, and the Utopia and marries them into a really great sounding headphone. The look is most certainly not its strongest attribute for sure.
I have been reading about 1266 TC sound qualities, including bass. However I was not aware of its earcup tilting capability. That puts it into another league. I will look more carefully into it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #5,438 of 12,974
I have been reading about 1266 TC sound qualities, including bass. However I was not aware of its earcup tilting capability. That puts it into another league. I will look more carefully into it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yep u can rotate the earcups to change how it rests on your head (to allow a small gap, which is needed for an optimal sound with these headphones), and you can also adjust the metal headband as well to further fine tune.

By far.. The Meze is the most comfortable in my lineup. Followed by utopia, verite, and lastly abyss.

I had decided to put up the Meze for sale in my local buy/sell.. I had neglected the Meze in favour of the abyss, utopia and verite closed.

But yesterday I decided to give it another listen just for kicks. Put on the suede pads. Hooked up with a norne silvergarde. I was immediately smiling. I think my listening tastes have changed a bit; I now much prefer the Meze with suede pads. With the leather pads, it sounds a bit bloated to me. Not sure if it's the cable.. But I did enjoy the detail and highs. So very sweet and smooth. Nicer separation than the verite closed too.

I'm going to listen to the Meze over the weekend and have a rethink if I'm going to let them go.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #5,439 of 12,974
*double post

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #5,440 of 12,974
Sound of the Abyss TC in the comfort and build of the Empy for not more than 2.5-3K. One can dream.

Betula, have u tried the Verite open/closed?

I have the closed version. This may come close to what you are looking for..

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #5,441 of 12,974
Yep u can rotate the earcups to change how it rests on your head (to allow a small gap, which is needed for an optimal sound with these headphones), and you can also adjust the metal headband as well to further fine tune.

By far.. The Meze is the most comfortable in my lineup. Followed by utopia, verite, and lastly abyss.

I had decided to put up the Meze for sale in my local buy/sell.. I had neglected the Meze in favour of the abyss, utopia and verite closed.

But yesterday I decided to give it another listen just for kicks. Put on the suede pads. Hooked up with a norne silvergarde. I was immediately smiling. I think my listening tastes have changed a bit; I know much prefer the Meze with suede pads. With the leather pads, it sounds a bit bloated to me. Not sure if it's the cable.. But I did enjoy the detail and highs. So very sweet and smooth. Nicer separation than the verite closed too.

I'm going to listen to the Meze over the weekend and have a rethink if I'm going to let them go.
Man, your post just proves it is all about personal preference.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,442 of 12,974
Betula, have u tried the Verite open/closed?

I have the closed version. This may come close to what you are looking for..
I have tried the Verité open. I really liked the sound, but I liked the Empy even more for the lush and thick sound and bass impact versus the Verite's natural sound and balance. Planar bass impact is just a must for me. I listen to a lot of progressive ambient sort of music.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #5,443 of 12,974
I have tried the Verité open. I really liked the sound, but I liked the Empy even more for the lush and thick sound and bass impact versus the Verite's natural sound and balance. Planar bass impact is just a must for me. I listen to a lot of progressive ambient sort of music.

Give the closed version a try.
There is more bass impact/slam. More midbass.
Highs are a bit more forward.

I preferred the closed to the opened.

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #5,444 of 12,974
Interesting that I too had been a leather pad guy, until a week or so ago, and have a new appreciation for the suede pads. Long term, hard to say that I am a suede convert, but I could barely make it through a song or 2 with the suede pads a few months ago before going back to the leather pads so we'll see.

I also have Verite open ordered and will see how they stack up vs. (or compliment) the Empy's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back