Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #5,401 of 12,974
OT about musicality.

I guess that most can recognize that we have SQ parameters that is of technical character and that the reason we call them technical is because they are quantifiable and objective in nature. Those technical character can be measured by: Frequency response, Impedance, Phase, THD, Impulse response and so on.

The question is are those measurements and description related to objective data enough to properly describe how music truly sound then using headphone A or headphone B? To me it’s not sufficient to capture the qualitative difference in SQ between them. If someone would ask me I would say that the qualitative aspect (aka subjective) difference are as imperative as the technical aspects then it comes to evaluating which headphone that I like the sound from best.

Just because we don’t know how to measure and calculate all sound character, and more important how they act together, doesn’t mean that we don’t experience them. Musical is a (somewhat vague) subjective description, no doubt. Though, most people when they share their impression of a headphone, DAC or amp does it solely by using there ear and in relation to other audio gear that they have. So if their SQ impression is purely subjective (even than they describe objective parameters), why would it be a problem to use a subjective description to express what we heard and fell?

To me musical is an impression of the SQ without divide it in specific characteristics and instead focus on the SQ as a whole. Every now and then I read a long well-articulated review, in the end am still left unknown if he/she liked it, did it make them want to listen more and tap their feet (that is musical to me). If someone OTOH simply would tell me that they liked headphone A and said something like: I could listen to it for hours and it sound so good and musical without sacrifice any technical aspect and then add some details and compare it to another headphone, I may find that I have got more valuable information than from the very long and overly detailed review.
still off topic - the problem isn't that the term "musical" is being used subjectively but that it is so broad. when someone uses the word "musical" to describe how a headphone or any other piece of audio equipment sounds to them, what do they mean by that? i think it begs the question "can you be more specific?" - back on topic.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #5,402 of 12,974
still off topic - the problem isn't that the term "musical" is being used subjectively but that it is so broad. when someone uses the word "musical" to describe how a headphone or any other piece of audio equipment sounds to them, what do they mean by that? i think it begs the question "can you be more specific?" - back on topic.

One more reply about musicality

Musicality is a quality aspect that "tell" that it sound good in a tuneful and harmonious way.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,404 of 12,974
Ok...not you then..yes with planars ti is important to have lots of current...i have hugo tt2...so no plans for tube amp.
Justin Weber was excited for me to try my HE6se and I gotta say the Pendant ran them just fine. This amp push out alot of juice into 300 ohms. There is a Hi Z output for high impedance and low z for the lower ones. Bass is the first thing I pick up with the NOS tubes I'm using.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #5,405 of 12,974
they are competitors but if you own both then you have the luxury of calling them complementary. :wink:

i won't comment again on the use of "musical" as a descriptor for how a headphone sounds, but i will say that the diana sounded clearer than the empyrean to me.

I also found the Diana a little clearer, but not necessarily in a good way. I think it's a little bright and not having quite the same full sound as the Empy. Also, the Diana isn't really meant to compete against the Empy as Abyss considers it a portable headphone where no one would consider the Empy portable.Thus their only real similarity is price.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #5,406 of 12,974
I also found the Diana a little clearer, but not necessarily in a good way. I think it's a little bright and not having quite the same full sound as the Empy. Also, the Diana isn't really meant to compete against the Empy as Abyss considers it a portable headphone where no one would consider the Empy portable.Thus their only real similarity is price.
Are using v2 or phi. I have no complaint with the v2. I don't think I'd use them in a portable set as efficiency is not that great.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5,407 of 12,974
Are using v2 or phi. I have no complaint with the v2. I don't think I'd use them in a portable set as efficiency is not that great.
No, I heard the Phi, not the V2. If you like the Diana......wait till you hear the 1266!

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #5,408 of 12,974
I need some help on purchasing tips. ]
im gonna have to blind buy as there arent any place around here to audition.

LCD 4/4z
meze empyrean
zmf verite

these are the 3 i have narrowed down.

i currently have the andromedas and the hd6xx, looking to get a more fun headphone for long work sessions.
i heard the lcd 4 quite heavy. i like to wear my headphones for hours. so comfort is key.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #5,409 of 12,974

LCD 4/4z
meze empyrean
zmf verite

i currently have the andromedas and the hd6xx, looking to get a more fun headphone for long work sessions.
i heard the lcd 4 quite heavy. i like to wear my headphones for hours. so comfort is key.
Lcd has a dip in the upper mid range to treble....i think that is problematic.....at least for me. It is like som information has yust
disappeared

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #5,410 of 12,974

LCD 4/4z
meze empyrean
zmf verite

I'd narrow down to the Empy and Verite. If it's open office then the VC. From my headphones the VO is my favorite. I also just got the Diana v2 and I'm digging them. The Empy is most comfy, folowed by the Diana then the verite open. The Diana is more low key less chance of being laughed at. Next is clarity the Diana and Verite win here. Getting a sound with the Empy. Resolution goes to the Verite. Diana v2 is most forgiving of bad recordings.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #5,411 of 12,974

LCD 4/4z
meze empyrean
zmf verite

Empyrean for comfort/long sessions — no contest there! Possibly my biggest regret in selling them.

As far as SQ, try these searches:

https://www.head-fi.org/search/37175981/?q=Empyrean&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=890270
https://www.head-fi.org/search/37176013/?q=Verite&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=871859

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #5,412 of 12,974
Thanks for the feedback guys.
i feel like leaning more to the verite for the looks and customer service(i believe there is a lifetime driver support for original owner.

however how would they all sound with chord mojo? right now i have the chord mojo and dragonfly red, one for cafe/home, the other for bus rides with my andros (never a boring bus ride :ksc75smile:)
i think ill use it with mojo for a while before i get my financials straight again then maybe ill get a cma 600i or hugo 2.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #5,414 of 12,974
"different strokes for different folks" as they say. i found that the diana's clarity and resolution made the empyrean sound somewhat thick and veiled. and try telling abyss headphones that "the diana isn't really meant to compete against the empy". both are high-end headphones that are competing for our dollars. yes, the diana is designed to be portable and it also holds its own against full-sized totl headphones that i've heard, including the utopia, which i own.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #5,415 of 12,974
No, I heard the Phi, not the V2. If you like the Diana......wait till you hear the 1266!

I agree once you get the 1266 setup properly it is an incredible listening experience. Just make sure you have lots of good power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back