Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #5,386 of 12,984
So listening to hard hitting trance and the Diana doesn't disappoint. Though nowhere near the Empy on same song. So that's it for bass. Now let them break in a bit. See what happens in the future.
I think the Diana and the Empy are more complements to each other rather than competitors. The Diana are more neutral, analytical and the Empy more fun and dare I say musical?

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,387 of 12,984
I think the Diana and the Empy are more complements to each other rather than competitors. The Diana are more neutral, analytical and the Empy more fun and dare I say musical?

The V2 is musical as well. Though you are right they are not competitors. The amp I used was the v281 then it got even better when switched to the Pendant. It's my favorite amp in my collection, doing that tubey magic.

These are just my initial impressions of the V2.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,389 of 12,984
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #5,391 of 12,984
I don't remember saying it. I believe in break in.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,392 of 12,984
If you ever get a chance listen to the Empy's on a good tube amp that handles planar.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #5,393 of 12,984
An expensive product must look expensive. That is not to be discussed. You can say there is no gravity, but there is.
I understand the focus of Meze on their product design. But the technical foundation must be good too. Rinaro has developed a new voice coil design for Meze. The Hybrid array driver is the the first in a isodynamic headphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,394 of 12,984
@Bonndam How the the Sendy Audio Aiva compares to the Empyrean? I saw it somewhere on a best list, but just based on preis, the shall be in a different league.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #5,395 of 12,984
@Bonndam How the the Sendy Audio Aiva compares to the Empyrean? I saw it somewhere on a best list, but just based on preis, the shall be in a different league.
The Empyrean beats it.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #5,396 of 12,984
they are competitors but if you own both then you have the luxury of calling them complementary. :wink:

i won't comment again on the use of "musical" as a descriptor for how a headphone sounds, but i will say that the diana sounded clearer than the empyrean to me.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #5,399 of 12,984
May be but its like $4K. I would rather spend that to get Metrum Pavane DAC.
I can get very good Pi HAT and LPS for like $500 to $600 and get all the output raging from AES to I2S. BNC to RCA
Pi2AES board is like $150 and DIGIONE Signature is like $250 and good LPS will cost another $200 to $300. Still better value for money.
Sounds like you get much noise on the mains with that system...smps that lps use..makes noise that travel in to
other components. But if you isolate..then it is good.

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #5,400 of 12,984
OT about musicality.

I guess that most can recognize that we have SQ parameters that is of technical character and that the reason we call them technical is because they are quantifiable and objective in nature. Those technical character can be measured by: Frequency response, Impedance, Phase, THD, Impulse response and so on.

The question is are those measurements and description related to objective data enough to properly describe how music truly sound then using headphone A or headphone B? To me it’s not sufficient to capture the qualitative difference in SQ between them. If someone would ask me I would say that the qualitative aspect (aka subjective) difference are as imperative as the technical aspects then it comes to evaluating which headphone that I like the sound from best.

Just because we don’t know how to measure and calculate all sound character, and more important how they act together, doesn’t mean that we don’t experience them. Musical is a (somewhat vague) subjective description, no doubt. Though, most people when they share their impression of a headphone, DAC or amp does it solely by using there ear and in relation to other audio gear that they have. So if their SQ impression is purely subjective (even than they describe objective parameters), why would it be a problem to use a subjective description to express what we heard and fell?

To me musical is an impression of the SQ without divide it in specific characteristics and instead focus on the SQ as a whole. Every now and then I read a long well-articulated review, in the end am still left unknown if he/she liked it, did it make them want to listen more and tap their feet (that is musical to me). If someone OTOH simply would tell me that they liked headphone A and said something like: I could listen to it for hours and it sound so good and musical without sacrifice any technical aspect and then add some details and compare it to another headphone, I may find that I have got more valuable information than from the very long and overly detailed review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back