Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #4,276 of 12,974
I get to demo the Empyreans! Has anyone used Lotoo Paw Gold or Questyle QP1R?

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,279 of 12,974
I'm thinking LPG should be plenty powerful enough

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #4,280 of 12,974
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #4,281 of 12,974
My LPGT drives them brilliantly :thumbsup:

One of these days I would like to try the Touch, but I just couldn't get myself off the beauty of the original with that cool gold wheel.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #4,282 of 12,974
Just picked these up.
Very surprised by how good these sound out of damn near everything I try them with, as had been noted by the previous owner. I listened for a good while today off of a *smartphone* and it was completely fine. Brought a laptop to a local dealer, and strangely found that they sounded 95% as good out of a Mojo or a Schiit Fulla 2 as they did with a Chord DAVE. I also had access to a Utopia, which I heard improve all the way up to the DAVE. Still, even with the TOTL Focal/Chord combo, I didn't like it as much as the Empyrean with modest amplification.

Went home incredibly pleased that I probably wasn't missing too much with my Mojo. As a strange side-note, I had a very similar experience with my preferred IEM (Campfire Audio Solaris) and the DAVE; maybe it just didn't have the synergy for either, but I found this intriguing that both these top-range products didn't need prestige electronics to sound fantastic. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,283 of 12,974
AVB 2004 Empy's :)

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,284 of 12,974
I had these people re terminate my cable to 4pin XLR https://oidiosound.co.uk/ was a fast turn around and a reasonable price.

Just had my cable back from oidiosound after having it re-terminated using Furutech 4pin XLR.

The guy commented on the quality, said he has fitted many brands but none match the Furutech.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,285 of 12,974
Just picked these up.
Very surprised by how good these sound out of damn near everything I try them with, as had been noted by the previous owner. I listened for a good while today off of a *smartphone* and it was completely fine. Brought a laptop to a local dealer, and strangely found that they sounded 95% as good out of a Mojo or a Schiit Fulla 2 as they did with a Chord DAVE. I also had access to a Utopia, which I heard improve all the way up to the DAVE. Still, even with the TOTL Focal/Chord combo, I didn't like it as much as the Empyrean with modest amplification.

Went home incredibly pleased that I probably wasn't missing too much with my Mojo. As a strange side-note, I had a very similar experience with my preferred IEM (Campfire Audio Solaris) and the DAVE; maybe it just didn't have the synergy for either, but I found this intriguing that both these top-range products didn't need prestige electronics to sound fantastic. I'll take it.

Yes, this is is indeed a very real characteristic of the Empyrean. They sound GREAT even on "low end" gear.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jul 16, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #4,286 of 12,974
The Empyreans with the leather pads are really heating up my ears. Does anyone else experience this? I just switched to AKG K812, and no heat...

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #4,287 of 12,974
The Empyreans with the leather pads are really heating up my ears. Does anyone else experience this?

To the contrary, I find the velour pads are doing that to me. I started with velour and don't even bother touching the leather ones. But one day I was experimenting with the leather and I surprisingly stuck with it.

In general I know velour is supposed to be cooler to the ears compared to the leather but I'm not sure that's the case for me with this cans :thinking:

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #4,288 of 12,974
To the contrary, I find the velour pads are doing that to me. I started with velour and don't even bother touching the leather ones. But one day I was experimenting with the leather and I surprisingly stuck with it.

In general I know velour is supposed to be cooler to the ears compared to the leather but I'm not sure that's the case for me with this cans :thinking:

How are these headphones stacking up to the others you own?

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #4,289 of 12,974
How are these headphones stacking up to the others you own?

Truly the king. Comfort, sound, everything.

I can’t even force store owners to recommend me another pair to buy cause there’s nothing out there that will fit my criteria that is better than the Empys.

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #4,290 of 12,974
Yes, this is is indeed a very real characteristic of the Empyrean. They sound GREAT even on "low end" gear.

Glad there's some consistency between my impression here and what's seen elsewhere. I've only heard the Empyrean with solid state gear so far, and I've been encouraged elsewhere to explore OTL tube amplification, which I found really interesting. Is it possible to generalize about what your customers select/prefer on amplification for this headphone? Of the gear you've heard with it (assuming you have access to a lot of good options), what do you find most enjoyable?

I'm still happy with the Mojo for now, but I'm compiling a set of places to look/amplifier shortlist for when I want to move beyond a minimalist setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back