Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,126 of 13,028
Anyone tried them with MASSDROP X EDDIE CURRENT ZDT JR.
How is the synergy? The drop is active

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #4,127 of 13,028
I noticed that there aren't any power specs for the ZDT JR.

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #4,128 of 13,028
Empyrean for me was love at first sight (first audition), but we know that can be misleading.

Happened to me with the Clear actually, I loved them at audition, bought them and then couldn't live with them as they were too energetic, borderline aggressive.

The Empyrean keeps growing on me day by day. I just love them more and more. They offer the technicalities of a true TOTL flagship while staying musical, entertaining, alive, fun, engaging and addictive.

Funny the storage issue came up, I was about to ask how you guys store your Empys. I am also a bit worried about dust getting into the cups and drivers.
Putting the headphones back into the case would be a bit of a hassle mostly due to detaching the cable each time.

I was looking into the Stax cover? But it looks a bit silly. I found these which could possibly work. Anyone using something similar? Is it just another silly idea?
I quite like the IKEA box too..

What does @Meze say? How important is dust protection?

Just to let you know Stax cover may be too tight for Empyrean as they are not very wide

I've used the stax cover with the stax stand together with an Auteur and it was quite hassle-free. You have to align it a little when using with bigger headphones while pulling it on, though. And I might be wrong, but dust gets almost everywhere regardless of the method used against it, you can only minimize it.

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #4,129 of 13,028
Anyone else have a driver crackling issue with their Empyreans?

I hear crackling on both drivers/ear cups when there is no music playing but I push the cups a little closer to my ears.

Mine are new from a local dealer so less than 25 hours on them so far. Not sure if this will go away after more burn in or I should have them replaced.

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #4,130 of 13,028

I hear crackling on both drivers/ear cups when there is no music playing but I push the cups a little closer to my ears.

Mine are new from a local dealer so less than 25 hours on them so far. Not sure if this will go away after more burn in or I should have them replaced.

I will have a look at mine when I get home but as far as I am aware that is fairly normal behaviour as when you push the cups it creates a pressure differential which flexes the drivers a bit producing sound.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #4,131 of 13,028

Sounds like driver crinkle. Common for planars. My Ether Flows did that. Try not to push on them once they’re on your head.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #4,134 of 13,028
Just wanted to see if it was common with other Empyreans. Mine are a week old so I can still swap them fairly easily.
Some level of planar crinkle is normal with most headphones when the air pressure is changing inside the cups. (Putting on and off the head, gently pressing on the cups.)
This slight noise can increase by time, when the drivers loosen up a little bit.

My new Empyrean doesn't make any noise like this.
I never experienced the crinkle with new planar headphones (bought LCD2 twice and HEXV2) one of the LCD2s and the HEXV2 developed this issue after hundreds of hours. Even then however it wasn't too bothering, only occurred when I put them on or took them off my head never when playing music. Audeze said it is normal for a planar to have this noise after some usage. I didn't use my second LCD2 long enough to check it.

If the crinkle noise bothers you, contact your retailer and send the headphones back. I would say it is a little bit unusual for a new pair on this level especially since none of the new Empy owners experienced this. I would contact the retailer and see what they say.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,135 of 13,028

You hear that when you're pressing the cups with your hands?

It may be driver flex. Pretty much every headphone that is planar will have it to some degree. Some have it much more while others not at all. It is usually heard when you press on your cups and you push the cups closer to your ears.

Sundara - Has very little
HE6SE - Has tons of it
LCX-MX4 - Has some
Thror - Not at all
Brainwavz Alara - A bit
Verum One - Very little.

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #4,136 of 13,028
You hear that when you're pressing the cups with your hands?

It may be driver flex. Pretty much every headphone that is planar will have it to some degree. Some have it much more while others not at all. It is usually heard when you press on your cups and you push the cups closer to your ears.

Sundara - Has very little
HE6SE - Has tons of it
LCX-MX4 - Has some
Thror - Not at all
Brainwavz Alara - A bit
Verum One - Very little.

Yep, my LCD-2's do this.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #4,137 of 13,028
I've had my Empyreans for about a month now and have honestly enjoyed them from day one. However, I put New World Symphony on for the first time with them last night and I'm realizing they are actually quite detailed and have decent soundstage. That's to say, if you were looking at these just for a more "fun" sound, I think you can expect more than that.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #4,138 of 13,028
I've had my Empyreans for about a month now and have honestly enjoyed them from day one. However, I put New World Symphony on for the first time with them last night and I'm realizing they are actually quite detailed and have decent soundstage. That's to say, if you were looking at these just for a more "fun" sound, I think you can expect more than that.

Agreed. The Empyrean has a very "enjoyable and pleasing" sound, but isn't at all lacking in detail and soundstage.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jul 3, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #4,139 of 13,028
Agreed. The Empyrean has a very "enjoyable and pleasing" sound, but isn't at all lacking in detail and soundstage.
I think this is the magic of the Empyrean in one sentence.
Out of a great source they offer TOTL technical performance while never ever getting cold or analytical.
We never again have to choose between a technical/analytical and a musical/fun listen. The Empyrean is a 2 in 1 package. Pretty phenomenal and addictive IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back