Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 3, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #3,616 of 13,028
IF I didn't already own the 4z, I would certainly have a pair of these fine headphones. But since I do own the 4z already, will just have to experience them vicariously thru you guys.
Any funds allocated to audio gear near future will be to dac and amp. Which the stuff I have now is working so well I am just not motivated to do anything about it. Oh well.

May 3, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #3,617 of 13,028
hello fellow members,
I own the Utopia and Ether2 and enjoy them both. They are polar opposites imo, which has lead me to develop interest for the Verite or Empryean.
to get to the point_
I was wondering if anyone has heard both and can chime in and give their thoughts on Verite vs Empryean,
any insight would be appreciated!

May 3, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #3,618 of 13,028
May 3, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,619 of 13,028
hello fellow members,
I own the Utopia and Ether2 and enjoy them both. They are polar opposites imo, which has lead me to develop interest for the Verite or Empryean.
to get to the point_
I was wondering if anyone has heard both and can chime in and give their thoughts on Verite vs Empryean,
any insight would be appreciated!
hmmm....its a tough one but before you read my comment I want you to know I have never heard Verite. I was in queue in Canjam but the ZMF booth was very small and it was very very crowded to get a chance.
Coming to your dilemma, I see you own Mjo2 with Gumby, thats the pair with which I heard Empyrean in Canjam and was immediately sold.I guess you won't go wrong with either HP.
If you had good OTL amp then Verite would have been the way to go but with Hybrid amp you can go either route.
I haven't heard Verite but AFAIK ZMF headphones sounds organic and gets rave review. If you like Sennehiser sound signature and fan of it then you will like ZMF as well. ZMF are more fun version of sennheiser. Zach while giving me Aeolus, another ZMF HP, told me that it may sound like HD 650 so I guess his HPs have similar sound profile as Senns but in a more fun way. Both Empyrean and Verite are colored and are not neutral based on impression and reviews. I like Empyrean and have tried it out of LP and Lyr3. I like it more out of Lyr 3.so you can get the best out of it from cheap amp as well.
Also do note they are priced same however with Verite you may have to wait for few weeks or months as they are hand made once you place order.

sorry to say but I see you already have Utopia, HD800, Ether2, if you ask me you don't need either of 2 what you need is a solid TOTL Amp to pair with your existing headphones.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #3,620 of 13,028
hmmm....its a tough one but before you read my comment I want you to know I have never heard Verite. I was in queue in Canjam but the ZMF booth was very small and it was very very crowded to get a chance.
Coming to your dilemma, I see you own Mjo2 with Gumby, thats the pair with which I heard Empyrean in Canjam and was immediately sold.I guess you won't go wrong with either HP.
If you had good OTL amp then Verite would have been the way to go but with Hybrid amp you can go either route.
I haven't heard Verite but AFAIK ZMF headphones sounds organic and gets rave review. If you like Sennehiser sound signature and fan of it then you will like ZMF as well. ZMF are more fun version of sennheiser. Zach while giving me Aeolus, another ZMF HP, told me that it may sound like HD 650 so I guess his HPs have similar sound profile as Senns but in a more fun way. Both Empyrean and Verite are colored and are not neutral based on impression and reviews. I like Empyrean and have tried it out of LP and Lyr3. I like it more out of Lyr 3.so you can get the best out of it from cheap amp as well.
Also do note they are priced same however with Verite you may have to wait for few weeks or months as they are hand made once you place order.

sorry to say but I see you already have Utopia, HD800, Ether2, if you ask me you don't need either of 2 what you need is a solid TOTL Amp to pair with your existing headphones.

thanks for giving your thoughts, I appreciate it!

the reason why I have interest in the Empryean or the Verite is due to that I find the Utopia/HD800 and E2 to be polar opposites in how they present themselves and was giving thought to something in between the two per se. Every headphone currently listed in my signature are probably going to be let go except the Utopia/E2/ and ECF so I was thinking about using the funds for another totl headphone or actually changing up my amps like you suggested.
Any suggestions?

May 4, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #3,621 of 13,028
…I find the Utopia/HD800 and E2 to be polar opposites in how they present themselves…
I absolutely agree with this. To my ears, Empy is much closer to E2 than Utopia. That said, it does present a warmer, lusher sound. In that sense, Utopia and E2 are closer, so at some level, Empy does represent a good alternative. I haven’t heard Verite, but from reviews and impressions I’ve read think it might be the opposite side of the coin, closer to Utopia, but also different enough to be another good alternative.

May 4, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #3,622 of 13,028
Just received mine yesterday. My previous 2 headphones were Aeon Flow Closed and Senn HD 820.

The HD 820 is good but omg the Empyrean takes my listening to another level. Truly worth the asking price.

May 5, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #3,624 of 13,028
Just received mine yesterday. My previous 2 headphones were Aeon Flow Closed and Senn HD 820.

The HD 820 is good but omg the Empyrean takes my listening to another level. Truly worth the asking price.

Congrats! Those first couple days with the Empy are magical.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
May 6, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,625 of 13,028

Congrats raymogi...and just wait 'til they, and the cable have burned in! Even after a good many hours, I'm still noticing improvements in performance...albeit more subtle ones now.

And have just discovered another one that is rather more obvious, and perhaps especially appropriate for anyone who may sometimes find these headphones 'splashy'...ie. yesterday they highlighted an unpleasant difference between a track ripped from a CD on my (expensive) laptop, thence to USB stick, thence straight (no cable) into my Naim UnitiCore server/player...and the same track ripped by Naim's CD player direct to its internal SSD. Both using EAC software, and 'just 0s and 1s'?...but what a difference! Splash galore from the former, but smooth, sweet upper frequencies from the latter...complete with exquisite detail.

And so this would indicate to me, at least, as being an example that any hint of 'splashy' treble is much more likely to be a result of something else in the chain, rather than the Empyreans themselves.

May 6, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #3,626 of 13,028
Congrats raymogi...and just wait 'til they, and the cable have burned in! Even after a good many hours, I'm still noticing improvements in performance...albeit more subtle ones now.

And have just discovered another one that is rather more obvious, and perhaps especially appropriate for anyone who may sometimes find these headphones 'splashy'...ie. yesterday they highlighted an unpleasant difference between a track ripped from a CD on my (expensive) laptop, thence to USB stick, thence straight (no cable) into my Naim UnitiCore server/player...and the same track ripped by Naim's CD player direct to its internal SSD. Both using EAC software, and 'just 0s and 1s'?...but what a difference! Splash galore from the former, but smooth, sweet upper frequencies from the latter...complete with exquisite detail.

And so this would indicate to me, at least, as being an example that any hint of 'splashy' treble is much more likely to be a result of something else in the chain, rather than the Empyreans themselves.
I am waiting for my Digione signature player. Have heard good thing about it and I want to remove source related issue. Many time brightness and harshness are source induced irrespective of headphones.

May 6, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #3,628 of 13,028
I decided to try the Danacable Lazuli headphone cable. I just received it but haven't heard it yet, however if the musical presentation is as good as the cable and packaging representation, then it should be excellent.

IMG_2131.jpg
IMG_2132.jpg
IMG_2133.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg
IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2136.jpg
IMG_2137.jpg
IMG_2138.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2141.jpg
IMG_2142.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,629 of 13,028
Nice looking cable but you can do better with higher end connectors. I would spend more money on Furutech connectors and you will love your cable even more.

May 7, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #3,630 of 13,028
I'm subscribed, but haven't been reading the whole thread. Have enough people heard this headphone for us to say how, on average, it's perceived to compare with the LCD-3, LCD-4, HD800S, Clear, Utopia, etc.? Is it just another really good headphone, or does it stand out as something truly special?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back