Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 7, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #3,647 of 13,037
As a previous owner of the Z1R and the Utopia. The Utopia build materials "plastic" doesn't even compare to the Sony. None of them touch the Empyrean.
i think that all three exude superb build quality and attention to detail regardless of the different materials used in their manufacture

May 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #3,648 of 13,037
i think that all three exude superb build quality and attention to detail regardless of the different materials used in their manufacture
The Utopia creeks and feels flimsy. There is no way around it. It's the design.

May 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3,649 of 13,037
Even with specs you may or may not like how it sounds and I may not be a true indicator. On paper some may look perfect but not so musical, just accurate. Or what about tubes? Their specs like crap with the distortion but they sound good.
After you burn that cable in some please give me some impressions.

May 7, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3,650 of 13,037
Of course this is a personal thing, but I too wasn't half as impressed by the Utopias as the Empyreans...and this was via 2 tube amps, an extremely good custom built SS amp and Chord's Dave. Especially considering their cost!! They also - for me and in my system - blow the Clear right out of the water (in any area you care to name)...no contest.

Are you referring to the Empyrean's blowing the Clear out of the water or the Utopia's?

May 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #3,651 of 13,037
Are you referring to the Empyrean's blowing the Clear out of the water or the Utopia's?
Empyrean blows the Clear away. I used to own the Clear and then I reviewed the Questyle CMA twelve Master using the Clear and it didn't get much better than when I used them with the Chord Mojo. That soundstage is nothing special. Dynamic drivers can only do so much.

May 7, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #3,652 of 13,037
Unless we're stating facts like raw specs, everything we share here is an opinion! :k701smile:

Not so. Just because it looks good on paper or looks bad on paper doesn’t mean it sounds good or bad. On paper it may look perfect, but that doesn’t mean it sounds musical, maybe just accurate. Or take a look at tubes. On paper it looks horrible, but listen to it it sounds very nice.

Anyone that spends $3000 on a headphone based solely on someone’s opinion in this forum, And without the ability to return it is senseless.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #3,653 of 13,037
The Utopia creeks and feels flimsy. There is no way around it. It's the design.
yes, some owners have reported creaking. the design incorporates the use of carbon fibre to reduce the weight of the headphone. while it may feel flimsy to you, it has a high strength to weight ratio (apparently). if you think that the empyrean is the superior headphone then fine, i'm not here to try and make you change your mind. this is the empyrean thread after all. :wink:

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #3,654 of 13,037
yes, some owners have reported creaking. the design incorporates the use of carbon fiber to reduce the weight of the headphone. while it may feel flimsy to you, it has a high strength to weight ratio (apparently). if you think that the empyrean is the superior headphone then fine, I'm not here to try and make you change your mind. this is the empyrean thread after all. :wink:
I am well aware of the strength of carbon fiber and how awesome it is. The Empyrean has carbon fiber as well. The Utopia has cheap @ss plastic. And cheap plastic on the cups. For something that costs $4k when it was released is a huge disappointment. There's nothing to defend there.

May 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #3,656 of 13,037
Well after about 14 hours of burning it’s very musical, but bass light. They say about 100 hours for break in, and so hopefully the bass will improve, otherwise back it goes.
That cable with the Utopia is one of the best ones available. I'm curious to hear it with the Empyrean.

May 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #3,657 of 13,037
Empyrean blows the Clear away. I used to own the Clear and then I reviewed the Questyle CMA twelve Master using the Clear and it didn't get much better than when I used them with the Chord Mojo. That soundstage is nothing special. Dynamic drivers can only do so much.

In my system, the HD800 is neck to neck with the Meze and someway surpassed it. It has more air and able render space better. The Meze has better punchy bass however.

I think the HD800 is very capable if you have a really good amp to deal with them. My favorite amplifier so far with the HD800 is the ECP Audio L3/Ravenswood and Audio-Trchnica HA5050H.

May 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #3,658 of 13,037
In my system, the HD800 is neck to neck with the Meze and someway surpassed it. It has more air and able render space better. The Meze has better punchy bass however.

I think the HD800 is very capable if you have a really good amp to deal with them. My favorite amplifier so far with the HD800 is the ECP Audio L3/Ravenswood and Audio-Trchnica HA5050H.
We all hear differently and I don't fancy any of the HD800's. Or Sennheiser for that matter. Just isn't my cup-o-tea.

May 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #3,659 of 13,037

Where to get that ECP Amp? Hearing lot of good things about it

May 7, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3,660 of 13,037
I am well aware of the strength of carbon fiber and how awesome it is. The Empyrean has carbon fiber as well. The Utopia has cheap @ss plastic. And cheap plastic on the cups. For something that costs $4k when it was released is a huge disappointment. There's nothing to defend there.
plastics are used in high-end loudspeakers. given that the utopia contains premium leather, beryllium drivers and carbon fibre, why do you think that focal elected to use a "cheap @ss" plastic for the ear cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back