Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #1,696 of 12,974
So are you saying the Empyrean is not quite as resolving as the Utopia and HD800? Would make sense given its warmer signature (something has to give). That doesn't make it worse, just different.

It's tricky as for my ears the HD800 is overly resolving and loses its magic quickly. The only thing saving this headphone is its soundstage. The Utopia is a really good headphone but again can be lost in detail depending on what it's paired with. The Empyrean has the detail but isn't quite to the point where it takes over the musicality.

Screenshot_20181207-071540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #1,697 of 12,974
So are you saying the Empyrean is not quite as resolving as the Utopia and HD800? Would make sense given its warmer signature (something has to give). That doesn't make it worse, just different.

Agree with this. The term 'musical' should not be used to describe sonic quality. It is too subjective and ambiguous. For that purpose, I have extremely musical Airpods.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,698 of 12,974
Agree with this. The term 'musical' should not be used to describe sonic quality. It is too subjective and ambiguous. For that purpose, I have extremely musical Airpods.

I would generally agree. However for me, musicality does determine quality personally. So long as all the other boxes are ticked, good midrange, decent bass extension and extended treble without being ear piercing then musicality is last on the list to dictate quality and there are so many products that tick everything BUT musicality and I just don't like them.....for me musicality is very closely related to timing btw.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,699 of 12,974
....beside the soundsignature......i find the 2.5mm balanced Cable from Meze for my Sp1000 also very nice

Great Job Meze

NOMAX

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,700 of 12,974
Everyone said the exact opposite, that the Alcantara one's are darker with more bass. And the leather pads are more neutral.

Nomax is right, Alcantara is more neutral, leather pads are darker (upper bass / lower mid hump, treble a bit recessed). Nevertheless, I listen more with the leather pads, very enjoyable and different.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,701 of 12,974
Nomax is right, Alcantara is more neutral, leather pads are darker (upper bass / lower mid hump, treble a bit recessed). Nevertheless, I listen more with the leather pads, very enjoyable and different.

I think that is what the Empyrean makes so unique and special....we have to very different soundsignatures...and everbody can choose

NOMAX

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,703 of 12,974
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #1,706 of 12,974
I can't choose because I haven't got my headphones yet, one minute nintronics are telling me after Christmas then I'm told sometime in December
If I understood my dealer and distributor correctly, my replacement that I'll receive mid-december will be from the second batch. Therefore I think there's a good chance that you'll get yours before Christmas too. Unless I get one from the second batch before Meze ships out the complete second batch

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,707 of 12,974
....beside the soundsignature......i find the 2.5mm balanced Cable from Meze for my Sp1000 also very nice

Yes but I'm missing a kink protection. But nevertheless the cable has a nice build quality and the Empyrean itself is outstanding.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,708 of 12,974
I think that is what the Empyrean makes so unique and special....we have to very different soundsignatures...and everbody can choose

NOMAX

I think in future probably top flagship headphones will be similar in this approach to Empyrean. I mean Emyprean with alcantara pads looks pretty neutral, at least according to Judes measurements. I suppose with leather pads they may offer more of a "fun" or a slightly different signature. I am allright with this approach as far as pads are easy to swap. Top headphones will probably be following similar (flat) neutrality as speakers. (I am not saying speakers are dead neutral though) Will be interesting to see measurements with leather pads.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,709 of 12,974
I think in future probably top flagship headphones will be similar in this approach to Empyrean. I mean Emyprean with alcantara pads looks pretty neutral, at least according to Judes measurements. I suppose with leather pads they may offer more of a "fun" or a slightly different signature. I am allright with this approach as far as pads are easy to swap. Top headphones will probably be following similar (flat) neutrality as speakers. (I am not saying speakers are dead neutral though) Will be interesting to see measurements with leather pads.
ZMF headphones have had this “feature” for years. Both the Auteur and the new Verite ship with two different pads that offer different signatures, with other ZMF pads also usable to change the sound to taste. It’s nothing new. Very useful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back