Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #11,686 of 12,974
Most of the people I know prefer the Velour. Me as well.
After following this thread since the beginning, my impression is that the pad preference is around 50-50% between the leather and velour. It would be interesting to set up a poll.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #11,687 of 12,974
I prefer to use copper Cables with Meze Liric and Silver cables with Meze Empyrean.
That is interesting can you elaborate on the differences between the two? I've heard the liric is similar enough to what a closed back empyrean might be.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #11,688 of 12,974
That is interesting can you elaborate on the differences between the two? I've heard the liric is similar enough to what a closed back empyrean might be.
The Liric is not at all a closed back Empyrean. Very different tuning and sound.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #11,690 of 12,974
The Liric is closer to the Elite than the Empyrean.
In what sense exactly do you mean? That the Liric sounds a bit cleaner/thinner/brighter than the Empy? The Elite is neither thin, nor bright. I think it can be misleading to say the Liric is close to any of the Meze flagships, it is not similar to the Elite either. They also play in different leagues. To me the Liric is just the odd one out of the Meze line up.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #11,691 of 12,974
@betula have you bought the Elites? Or you have to wait to sell the other two to purchase them? I asked because I saw some Elites (one of them sold) in the classifieds at a good price.

If you have not purchased yet, do you plan to buy new or used?

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #11,692 of 12,974
@betula have you bought the Elites? Or you have to wait to sell the other two to purchase them? I asked because I saw some Elites (one of them sold) in the classifieds at a good price.

If you have not purchased yet, do you plan to buy new or used?
I picked up a 2 month old pair with transferrable warranty. Should arrive on Tuesday. :)

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #11,693 of 12,974
I picked up a 2 month old pair with transferrable warranty. Should arrive on Tuesday. :)
I will wait for your impressions, you know I love to read from you :relaxed: I hope they have some of the Empy and some of the D8000 strenghts. I suppose that is exactly what you are looking for with the Elites :beerchug:

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #11,694 of 12,974
I will wait for your impressions, you know I love to read from you :relaxed: I hope they have some of the Empy and some of the D8000 strenghts. I suppose that is exactly what you are looking for with the Elites :beerchug:
Yes, exactly. Long term (2hrs+) physical and sonic comfort is a big one for me (Empy) as well as better technicalities (D8000). The Elite seems to have both. I already shared some brief impressions after my audition in the Elite thread, but a more detailed version is coming once I gave them a few weeks on my home system.

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #11,695 of 12,974
In what sense exactly do you mean? That the Liric sounds a bit cleaner/thinner/brighter than the Empy? The Elite is neither thin, nor bright. I think it can be misleading to say the Liric is close to any of the Meze flagships, it is not similar to the Elite either. They also play in different leagues. To me the Liric is just the odd one out of the Meze line up.
Technicalities and philosophy are closer to the Elite.
More reference type of approach than the Empyrean.
Of course it has its own unique tuning - according to graphs - but the sound I am hearing is definitely the Meze house sound.
Some compromises had to be made due to the closed nature of it.
I don't find it the odd one at all, it is an excellent effort to give a reference tuning with the Meze house sound in a closed back headphone.
And it is a successful one.

To my ears is closer to the Elite than the Empyrean.
This doesn't mean that they are of the same level or share the same tuning.
But they share the same DNA.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #11,696 of 12,974
Yes, exactly. Long term (2hrs+) physical and sonic comfort is a big one for me (Empy) as well as better technicalities (D8000). The Elite seems to have both. I already shared some brief impressions after my audition in the Elite thread, but a more detailed version is coming once I gave them a few weeks on my home system.

Look forward to hear how you get on with them. I love mine... I was always impressed with the Empyrean, great all day headphones but the Elites just take it to the next level. I have zero desire to buy or use another set of headphones.

They sound amazing with the TT2 but I really love how they sound with the Hugo 2 as well. There's no fiddling around trying to get them sounding perfect on the head either... just really comfortable and sound amazing.

I found BNC/Coax cables made from Oyaide FTVS-510 to really pair nicely with the Elites either single or dual BNC.

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #11,697 of 12,974
Look forward to hear how you get on with them. I love mine... I was always impressed with the Empyrean, great all day headphones but the Elites just take it to the next level. I have zero desire to buy or use another set of headphones.
Do you miss the Empy's at all, or is it a safe upgrade from the Empy to the Elite - with no worries of looking back or wishing you could have both?

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #11,698 of 12,974
Do you miss the Empy's at all, or is it a safe upgrade from the Empy to the Elite - with no worries of looking back or wishing you could have both?
They have their own sound, I could very well see someone miss the Empyrean after getting the Elite.

I keep both for sure

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #11,699 of 12,974
They have their own sound, I could very well see someone miss the Empyrean after getting the Elite.

I keep both for sure

I’m keeping both, for that reason. I do like to at least EQ down the mid bass a little on the Empy, though.

Elite paired with Hapa Audio KnØt silver, full-size is endgame for me. I’m selling everything else but Empy and HD800S, which both are fun in different ways.

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #11,700 of 12,974
The Empy will always have a special place in my heart, but the Elite just turned all those little Empy imperfections into perfection. It is next level Meze sound. I personally don't really want to listen to anything else and I tried most flagships. There are arguably better headphones but it is about personal preference at this level. Comfort is unbeatable on the Empy/Elite. As well as an easy-listening sound. While the Empy is just soft and comfy, the Elite is liquid and rounded with enhanced space and resolution. A relief and joy to the ears, not a sharp or dry microscope like some other flagships. My Empy wouldn't get much head time next to the Elite, so they will find a loving new owner soon. (I would keep them for fun if 2K was only pocket money for me, but it isn't.) I also feel I have reached some sort of an end point with the Elite where I do not feel the urge to get any other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back