Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #11,701 of 12,975
Do you miss the Empy's at all, or is it a safe upgrade from the Empy to the Elite - with no worries of looking back or wishing you could have both?

Not as much as I thought. The comfort and finish are no different. If you love everything about the Empy... if you didn't look for the upgrade cable to lift the bass a touch then there's a good chance you may miss it. But if you did go looking, then there is a good chance you could live with the Elite without but...demo is your friend.

For me, I trusted the dealers take on the differences and knew it was the direction I wanted.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #11,702 of 12,975
That's good to hear! I'm also not ready (both mentally or financially) to drop $3k-$4k+ on a headphone to get something "better". I got my empy used. So glad to hear I have some headroom to improve my system. After the DAC, I'll need to upgrade the MT604 ($170) headphone amp :) but I'm so satisfied with the sound.
You may care for the Erish balanced amp by Geshelli Labs. They're right at about $200 I believe. I initially got as a starter, but like it the more I use it so gonna stick with it for the foreseeable future. Lots of reviews of it as well, always helps. 🦇

Edit: it's apparently $230 now, upgraded. Mine is the older one.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #11,703 of 12,975
The Empy will always have a special place in my heart, but the Elite just turned all those little Empy imperfections into perfection. It is next level Meze sound. I personally don't really want to listen to anything else and I tried most flagships. There are arguably better headphones but it is about personal preference at this level. Comfort is unbeatable on the Empy/Elite. As well as an easy-listening sound. While the Empy is just soft and comfy, the Elite is liquid and rounded with enhanced space and resolution. A relief and joy to the ears, not a sharp or dry microscope like some other flagships. My Empy wouldn't get much head time next to the Elite, so they will find a loving new owner soon. (I would keep them for fun if 2K was only pocket money for me, but it isn't.) I also feel I have reached some sort of an end point with the Elite where I do not feel the urge to get any other headphones.
Your wallet and me hope so. :beerchug:

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #11,704 of 12,975
The Empy will always have a special place in my heart, but the Elite just turned all those little Empy imperfections into perfection. It is next level Meze sound. I personally don't really want to listen to anything else and I tried most flagships. There are arguably better headphones but it is about personal preference at this level. Comfort is unbeatable on the Empy/Elite. As well as an easy-listening sound. While the Empy is just soft and comfy, the Elite is liquid and rounded with enhanced space and resolution. A relief and joy to the ears, not a sharp or dry microscope like some other flagships. My Empy wouldn't get much head time next to the Elite, so they will find a loving new owner soon. (I would keep them for fun if 2K was only pocket money for me, but it isn't.) I also feel I have reached some sort of an end point with the Elite where I do not feel the urge to get any other headphones.
I think you summed it up better than me. Any desire I had for other headphones disappeared when the Elites arrived in Nov21. Nothings changed.

The Empyrean were my first Meze headphones and I had them for 18 months and loved them... the Elites just feel like endgame for me. They match the TT2 & Hugo 2 just perfectly.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #11,705 of 12,975
Has anyone tried their Meze upgrade (Furukawa) cable on other headphones? If so, did you notice a tight fit / struggle to remove them once in?

I had them happily paired with my ZMF VC but moving house led me to discover that removing the cable was quite difficult. So much so that I’m tempted to think they’re either faulty or are slightly off the standard dimensions for mini xlr 😕

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #11,706 of 12,975
I think you summed it up better than me. Any desire I had for other headphones disappeared when the Elites arrived in Nov21. Nothings changed.

The Empyrean were my first Meze headphones and I had them for 18 months and loved them... the Elites just feel like endgame for me. They match the TT2 & Hugo 2 just perfectly.
Chord + Meze is indeed a match made in heaven.

I used to own a TT2 with my first Empyrean which unfortunately I had to sell at some point.

I am very happy with my RME-ADI 2 & Soloist 3XP at the moment, but in the long run I might get the TT2 again and probably be done with my audio purchases for quite a few years, if not forever. :)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #11,708 of 12,975
You really do not believe in that statement, right ?! :beyersmile:
I never did, but the Elite really makes me think: 'why would I need anything else or anything more?'. Also this is about the absolute top of my budget. So, who knows. Only time will tell I guess.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #11,709 of 12,975
You really do not believe in that statement, right ?! :beyersmile:
He has to leave the forum to believe in that statement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We will miss his headphone impressions but that decision will be better for his economy :relieved:

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #11,712 of 12,975
"He has to leave the forum to believe in that statement..."

I have actually been pondering about that idea. :)
You're not the only one...

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #11,713 of 12,975
"He has to leave the forum to believe in that statement..."

I have actually been pondering about that idea. :)

I did... but after listening to other headphones and listening to the Elites I thought.... na, I'm good... I can look at all these bottles of booze on display here and not feel thirsty :)

I would like to point out I didn't mean that internally... as he reaches for a bottle of beer! My only danger is if Meze bring out another TOTL :anguished:

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #11,714 of 12,975
I did... but after listening to other headphones and listening to the Elites I thought.... na, I'm good... I can look at all these bottles of booze on display here and not feel thirsty :)

I would like to point out I didn't mean that internally... as he reaches for a bottle of beer! My only danger is if Meze bring out another TOTL :anguished:
It becomes problematic if you look into amps and DACs to pair with your Meze instead... especially since price ceilings kick in a lot later for those components.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #11,715 of 12,975
Chord + Meze is indeed a match made in heaven.

I used to own a TT2 with my first Empyrean which unfortunately I had to sell at some point.

I am very happy with my RME-ADI 2 & Soloist 3XP at the moment, but in the long run I might get the TT2 again and probably be done with my audio purchases for quite a few years, if not forever. :)
Right now my main set up is TT2 and Elite, but still I don't feel brave enough to say "forever". True, this set up make me stop looking or feel missing from most of other flagship out there.

However, as we know, Meze release new flagship once for around 4 years, so I'll wait for that moment :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back