Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #11,671 of 12,974
I struggle to understand how this cannot be good enough (and I have a Susvara, so I understand micro detail presentation)

I had the RAAL SR1a, but I have to admit my upstream chain wasn't the best (Anthem integrated + Mimby). I decided that I wasn't willing to invest behind a better system just for the RAAL SR1a. I also found the headphones uncomfortable in the sense that I always felt I had to sit upright (maybe better for my posture :).

With my Empy OG (leather pads) + Norne copper cable + xduoo MT604 (sylvania NOS tubes) + DX220Max, i'm hearing pretty awesome details; more than with the SR1a system (esp given limitations of the mimby; I didn't think to try the DX220). I'm surprised because I figured the xduoo wouldn't be very transparent; but I feel like I can hear more details than the DX220Max alone (maybe its the power or the presentation as the xduoo is a more mid-forward). So many different variables!!

Nevertheless, I'm starting to change my mind about my earlier statement where I said it still lacks details to it is rather has good resolution competing with the best. I think the upgraded copper cable has lot to do with this as well. YMMV as always as folks hear differently and have different equipment. It might be that Empy has a limit in which it can scale, and that LCD5 or Susvaras scale well above; But with the audio chain I have, empy is pretty awesome. When I upgrade my the chain, I'll feel differently :) I'm hoping to try a new DAC soon in this chain to see what kinda of a difference I hear and whether or not Empy or Xduoo will be the bottleneck --- This is the endless story of upgrades right? :)

And I also value musicality over technical with detail ...

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #11,672 of 12,974
I had the RAAL SR1a, but I have to admit my upstream chain wasn't the best (Anthem integrated + Mimby). I decided that I wasn't willing to invest behind a better system just for the RAAL SR1a. I also found the headphones uncomfortable in the sense that I always felt I had to sit upright (maybe better for my posture :).

With my Empy OG (leather pads) + Norne copper cable + xduoo MT604 (sylvania NOS tubes) + DX220Max, i'm hearing pretty awesome details; more than with the SR1a system (esp given limitations of the mimby; I didn't think to try the DX220). I'm surprised because I figured the xduoo wouldn't be very transparent; but I feel like I can hear more details than the DX220Max alone (maybe its the power or the presentation as the xduoo is a more mid-forward). So many different variables!!

Nevertheless, I'm starting to change my mind about my earlier statement where I said it still lacks details to it is rather has good resolution competing with the best. I think the upgraded copper cable has lot to do with this as well. YMMV as always as folks hear differently and have different equipment. It might be that Empy has a limit in which it can scale, and that LCD5 or Susvaras scale well above; But with the audio chain I have, empy is pretty awesome. When I upgrade my the chain, I'll feel differently :) I'm hoping to try a new DAC soon in this chain to see what kinda of a difference I hear and whether or not Empy or Xduoo will be the bottleneck --- This is the endless story of upgrades right? :)

And I also value musicality over technical with detail ...
The DAC makes a HUGE difference (I know this is a contentious matter)... have heard the Empy on the R7HE and Holo Spring KTE - it sounds fantastic on both.

I think the Empy scales better than expected, at least for me. The jump in SQ from the Burson Soloist 3XP (which is a very good synergy with the Empy) to the Kinki EX-M1+ is rather significant. So much so that I'm gonna sell the Soloist soon.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #11,673 of 12,974
That's good to hear! I'm also not ready (both mentally or financially) to drop $3k-$4k+ on a headphone to get something "better". I got my empy used. So glad to hear I have some headroom to improve my system. After the DAC, I'll need to upgrade the MT604 ($170) headphone amp :) but I'm so satisfied with the sound.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #11,674 of 12,974
The DAC makes a HUGE difference (I know this is a contentious matter)... have heard the Empy on the R7HE and Holo Spring KTE - it sounds fantastic on both.

I think the Empy scales better than expected, at least for me. The jump in SQ from the Burson Soloist 3XP (which is a very good synergy with the Empy) to the Kinki EX-M1+ is rather significant. So much so that I'm gonna sell the Soloist soon.
I love the Burson house sound but it leans very warm. I didn't like most of my collection on the Burson 3x Reference. I would think the Empy is too warm to play nicely with the Soloist. I'd probably opt for something a bit more analytical. Not surprised to hear that you like the Holo Spring Dac as it's probably one of the worlds best Dac's. Especially for the money.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #11,675 of 12,974
I love the Burson house sound but it leans very warm. I didn't like most of my collection on the Burson 3x Reference. I would think the Empy is too warm to play nicely with the Soloist. I'd probably opt for something a bit more analytical. Not surprised to hear that you like the Holo Spring Dac as it's probably one of the worlds best Dac's. Especially for the money.
I understand I stand largely alone on this but I prefer the R7HE. I find it more musical with a larger stage, and a slight upper hand on layering and detail (perhaps the upper hand on detail that is evident - to me anyway - could be attributed to the power regen built into the R7HE? Not sure). The R7HE also presents bass with a weight and authority that is rather addictive. Edit: Thought I'd add that the R7HE can't compete on looks, it's not the prettiest DAC aesthetically, but sonically it is just stunning.

Oddly enough I also rather enjoyed the Empy with the Soloist 3XP (before I bought the Kinki EX-M1+). I agree the Soloist runs warm (sonically) and that the Empy will generally synergise well with a more neutral amp. The EX-M1+ is a fantastic solid state amp. It's sound is crystal clear without being bright or analytical, and yet it's ability to layer instruments and present a palette of detail to dine on at will is quite remarkable.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #11,676 of 12,974
I went back to the Empy leather pads as a reference point after spending the last day on the Elite pads. Let me just say, the bass is back! I prefer the sound with the leather pads. (I think) the Empy loses some of it's character (which I love so much) with the Elite pads. There are benefits, as I posted earlier, but they come with some sacrifice, and it's not worth sacrificing the Empy's soul for the benefits the Elite pads bring, not in the long run anyway. For short stints, sure, but it's a lot of money to spend for short bursts of enjoyment. The leather pads are still king.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #11,677 of 12,974
That's good to hear! I'm also not ready (both mentally or financially) to drop $3k-$4k+ on a headphone to get something "better". I got my empy used. So glad to hear I have some headroom to improve my system. After the DAC, I'll need to upgrade the MT604 ($170) headphone amp :) but I'm so satisfied with the sound.
You could look into the Qudelix 5K. Its only $100, but I personally think the sound is superb and it easily drives the Empy's.

I got it to use with Oratory1990's Empy EQ-profiles and I could not be happier.

If you are not familiar with Oratory1990, he is a (very dedicated) sound engineer that tests headphones with a special rig and measure their frequency response, and then uses this to create a specific EQ-profile that brings its closer to the "Harman optimal target". Check out his subreddit if you think this sounds interesting!

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #11,678 of 12,974
The amp also makes a huge difference. I've heard that the empyrean are easy to drive, which may be true, but when I went from my previous amp to the current one it was a world of a difference. granted it was about 10x the price but it really made the empyrean blossom.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #11,679 of 12,974
I went back to the Empy leather pads as a reference point after spending the last day on the Elite pads. Let me just say, the bass is back! I prefer the sound with the leather pads. (I think) the Empy loses some of it's character (which I love so much) with the Elite pads. There are benefits, as I posted earlier, but they come with some sacrifice, and it's not worth sacrificing the Empy's soul for the benefits the Elite pads bring, not in the long run anyway. For short stints, sure, but it's a lot of money to spend for short bursts of enjoyment. The leather pads are still king.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the copper cables with the different pads

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #11,680 of 12,974
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the copper cables with the different pads
Will share thoughts here. I'm looking forward to the copper cable. Will prob only have it towards the end of Jan.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #11,682 of 12,974
I notice majority of people here prefer the Leather pads over the Velour.
Personally i prefer the more relaxed sound of the Velours. I find music a bit more intoxicating.

Anyone else prefer the Velour over leather?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #11,683 of 12,974
Personally i prefer the more relaxed sound of the Velour. I find music a bit more intoxicating.

I enjoy the Empy with both pads. I switch between them every now and then. I switched back to the Alcantaras after reading your post. I haven't listened to them since I upgraded my amp from the Burson Soloist 3XP to the Kinki EX-M1+. They sound fantastic.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #11,684 of 12,974
Personally i prefer the more relaxed sound of the Velour. I find music a bit more intoxicating.

I think, the pad choice depends on preferred music genres. I also use the leather pads 95%, but that is because I mostly listen to modern music. The leather pads offer a more solid bass performance which is incomparably better than the velours. The velours on the other hand are more open, more natural and balanced in the mids and treble: great for classical/acoustic music. With the velours you loose the solid bass, but with the leathers you get narrower and more congested upper frequencies. The choice depends on which compromise you are willing to take with your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back