Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,163 of 12,974
I hope that you are alright, and you have no health issues whatsoever. Enjoy the music.
I was stabbed last Saturday, out with the Mrs minding my own business and two blokes kicked off and he stabbed me by accident,could've died three inch stab wound, hopefully get a decent pay out so I can buy the Mrs a pair of Meze Empyrean as well

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,164 of 12,974
That's a nice opportunity for everybody to listen to them and see if the hype is real. And while you there ask if you can listen to them right out of Chord Dave. Now, that's what I call magical sound.

Someone said Nintronics wouldn't have any so I'm made up they got a pair for ppl to listen to them today, whoever goes will have a great day, meeting Rob watts was the highlight of my day,not sure what the set up will be but I'm sure Chord blu 2 Dave hugo TT 2 and M scaler will be on demonstration. I hope they have the Meze audio Empyrean hooked up to Hugo TT 2 and M scaler and can give us all in here some feed back. I went to the hi-fi lounge open day

Have you heard that pair yet, especially with that pairing?
Just back from Nintronics.

Sorry, it was me who said a couple of days ago that they wouldn’t have the Empyrean. I was only reporting what they told me. Turned out it was just a delay in them being sent the headphones and they finally turned up yesterday, but only for a couple of days. So still a wait for the proper demo pair.

Yes I did have a listen. I arrived midway through Rob’s first talk. So rather than walk in on that I decided to take advantage of the peace and quiet in the demo areas to have a listen to the Empyreans straight out of the DAVE, and compare to the Utopias with stock cable. Not a conclusive listen as I was listening to a few unfamiliar tracks from one of Nintronics’ DAPs (via optical). The Utopia is my preferred headphone at home but the one I was listening to sounded nowhere near as good as mine. Could be because it was straight out of the DAVE, whereas I am now used to listening through M Scaler technology. Could have been the music. What did come across quite clearly was that these are very different headphones tonally. The Utopia was clearly brighter, with transients more emphasised than the Empyrean. But also a little noisier than I am used to. In contrast, the Empyrean was more even-handed, not as ‘in your face’ but still with very good detail. It sounded more refined.

As I said, not a conclusive listen for me. But there was enough there with the Empyrean to warrant further investigation. I will try to get a home demo when a proper demo model is available.

I did have a good longish chat with Rob before his second talk, which I sat in on. He gave every indication of being genuinely interested in my mention of research conducted on guinea pigs that indicated that drinking too much coffee could damage your hearing. Seriously. Look it up.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,165 of 12,974

Sorry, it was me who said a couple of days ago that they wouldn’t have the Empyrean. I was only reporting what they told me. Turned out it was just a delay in them being sent the headphones and they finally turned up yesterday, but only for a couple of days. So still a wait for the proper demo pair.

Yes I did have a listen. I arrived midway through Rob’s first talk. So rather than walk in on that I decided to take advantage of the peace and quiet in the demo areas to have a listen to the Empyreans straight out of the DAVE, and compare to the Utopias with stock cable. Not a conclusive listen as I was listening to a few unfamiliar tracks from one of Nintronics’ DAPs (via optical). The Utopia is my preferred headphone at home but the one I was listening to sounded nowhere near as good as mine. Could be because it was straight out of the DAVE, whereas I am now used to listening through M Scaler technology. Could have been the music. What did come across quite clearly was that these are very different headphones tonally. The Utopia was clearly brighter, with transients more emphasised than the Empyrean. But also a little noisier than I am used to. In contrast, the Empyrean was more even-handed, not as ‘in your face’ but still with very good detail. It sounded more refined.

As I said, not a conclusive listen for me. But there was enough there with the Empyrean to warrant further investigation. I will try to get a home demo when a proper demo model is available.

I did have a good longish chat with Rob before his second talk, which I sat in on. He gave every indication of being genuinely interested in my mention of research conducted on guinea pigs that indicated that drinking too much coffee could damage your hearing. Seriously. Look it up.
Nice one mate glad you enjoyed the day, as long as Rob watts didn't say wine damages your ears I'll be OK! I'm so relieved they don't sound like the focal utopia, I owned a pair and hated them

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,166 of 12,974

Bass differences? What sounded better overall?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,168 of 12,974
Unfortunately, there was little bass of note in the few tracks I had access to, which were from just two albums as far as I could see - gentle soft rock I think you would describe it as.

Most people say the Utopia is a little bright but not excessively bright like the hd800. You clearly say that the Empyrean is less bright than the Utopia. So would you call the Empyrean treble as smooth yet detailed? You wouldn’t call it a dark headphone right?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,169 of 12,974
Bass differences? What sounded better overall?

It's all in the detail. The focal bass has slam extension, the Empyrean offers up low level bass with texture and decay.

Most people say the Utopia is a little bright but not excessively bright like the hd800. You clearly say that the Empyrean is less bright than the Utopia. So would you call the Empyrean treble as smooth yet detailed? You wouldn’t call it a dark headphone right?

Yes the Empyrean is less bright than the Utopia. If a HD800 had babies with an LCD4 they would call it Empyrean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back