Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 3, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #9,812 of 12,974
Aurender does not play well with anyone outside its ecosystem, so using EQ through Roon is out of question.

The reason I picked Aurender as my music service is that, when I compared the SQ of their music server with my setup at the time (Mac & Audirvana+ which sounded superior (with my specific setup) to Roon Nucleus+), Aurender blew my Mac out of the water.

It seems if I wanna use EQ, I'd have to switch brand, as, AFAIK, EQ is not possible with any Aurender models (even with their high-end $22K WE20SE).
Ah right, something I didn't know...

May 3, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #9,814 of 12,974
A question for Empys lovers, which music genre do you prefer with them? (and which you don't like or prefer with other headphones?). I know that they are considered a good all-genre headphones, but maybe you like them more with some particular genres.

Right now, I'm enjoying a lot rock and metal with my re-purchased DT 1990 Pros :L3000:
I listen to mostly electronic music (house, techno, drum 'n bass, trip-hop, experimental, dub), rock and metal. I also listen to music from a lot of different genres, and I don't personally find the Empyrean to be particularly unsuited for any genre. It's definitely not a winner at every genre, but individual tracks that don't play all that well from the Empyrean are rather incidental and it's not very predictable.

I do tend to lean a bit more towards my HD580 for calmer acoustic/vocal music, simply because its timbre remains to be something special.

May 3, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #9,815 of 12,974
Empyrean is about timbre and tonality.
It is not about ultra detail , super fast transients , uber stage and other selling points of most TOTL cans.
It poses all the above attributes in satisfying and well blended quantities.
But again it is about timbre.
If you prefer to listen to acoustic instruments as they sound in real life then the Empyrean is as close as it gets , with a few quirks of course.
Nothing is perfect.
If you don't care about unplugged or real instruments then you might be better served elsewhere.
I listen to quite a lot of classical, jazz and classic rock. No EDM at all, is this headphone suitable for my tastes?

May 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #9,817 of 12,974
I listen to quite a lot of classical, jazz and classic rock. No EDM at all, is this headphone suitable for my tastes?

I listen to classical pretty much exclusively and the Empyrean presents a very warm, rich concert hall experience. One of my absolute favorites for classical as long as I'm using the micro-suede pads.

May 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #9,818 of 12,974
Ah right, something I didn't know...
Thanks for your opinion anyway... would love to try EQ approach someday if I can.

May 4, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #9,819 of 12,974
Yes is one of the best for classical music and any kind of acoustic music.
Speaker like experience with rich and full presentation with great timbre.

May 4, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #9,821 of 12,974
Hey hive mind :) what are the recommended tube amps within EU for empys? My consideration list with priorities right now:
1. Feliks euforia
2. Auris HA - 2SF
3. Audiovalve luminare
Will be pairing with metrum pavane or ear pl868pl (as a phono stage)

May 4, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #9,822 of 12,974
Hey hive mind :) what are the recommended tube amps within EU for empys? My consideration list with priorities right now:
1. Feliks euforia
2. Auris HA - 2SF
3. Audiovalve luminare
Will be pairing with metrum pavane or ear pl868pl (as a phono stage)
What's your price Limit?

Within EU, does thst mean thst it originally comes from EU, or that you can buy it from distributors in EU countries?

May 4, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #9,823 of 12,974
What's your price Limit?

Within EU, does thst mean thst it originally comes from EU, or that you can buy it from distributors in EU countries?
Would not like to spend much more then ~2.5k€. I meant, the amps that are available in EU

May 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #9,825 of 12,974
Would not like to spend much more then ~2.5k€. I meant, the amps that are available in EU
Ok in that price range there are:

Feliks Euforia Anniversary Edition (even though price got increased to 2800 in some countries) - warm tubey character, well liked with the Empyrean but doesn't offer much power if you also need it for other headphones.

Depending on country the Cayin HA-6A.
Usually you can get it from many countries, however pricing is very random (some countries ask 2500 others 3600€)
If it is available, I can totally recommend it though.
It has a more modern less tubey sound, imo it hit the sweetspot.

McIntosh releases their new MHA 200 this month, maybe this turns out to be a hit as well. It also doesn't offer gobs of power, but with the Empyrean that is of no concern. (Price varies hugely just like cayin though)

Gott read up on the Auris, the Nirvana is amazing with the Empyrean. Maybe the little brother delivers as well

Turns out most others I had in mind are either US or more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back