Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 2, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #9,796 of 12,974
I have question about cable again...

I'm now using Silver Dragon XLR with the Empy. I did have Meze's own Silver Plated cable before but I found the SD is superior (more details up top/bottom). Now I'm wondering if I upgrade to something like Norne Silvergarde (as listed below), would it make any significant difference in sound?

Though I can say I'm "content" with the SD, sometimes I felt the headphones sounded "boring" with certain albums. Not sure if this cable can brighten it up more without making it harsh (I'm very sensitive to sibilant). However, given that at 3Meter Norne is more than 2 times more expensive than the SD, I need information before taking a plunge.

Love to hear your thought before I push that "purchase" button.

Check out Arctic Cables.. Ive had a few Norne cables. I had three Silvergardes (S3 and S4 x2) and I always ended up selling them off as I preferred the ones from Arctic. The Norne cables are, however, built very well and look beautiful.

May 2, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #9,797 of 12,974
Check out Arctic Cables.. Ive had a few Norne cables. I had three Silvergardes (S3 and S4 x2) and I always ended up selling them off as I preferred the ones from Arctic. The Norne cables are, however, built very well and look beautiful.
Thanks for your reply. You mean this cable? I checked out their website and there is only one cable for the Empy which is currently out of stock. No option to choose from at the moment.

Also see that they have other models e.g. Silver for Utopia (can't imagine how silver would go nice with the Utopia though), and I don't know which of their line up fits the Empy best sonically.
1620007732767.png

May 2, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #9,798 of 12,974
Thanks for your reply. You mean this cable? I checked out their website and there is only one cable for the Empy which is currently out of stock. No option to choose from at the moment.

Also see that they have other models e.g. Silver for Utopia (can't imagine how silver would go nice with the Utopia though), and I don't know which of their line up fits the Empy best sonically.
1620007732767.png

They can customize their cables however u like it. Shoot them an email. Many ppl on this site will attest to their customer service. Roy and Val are awesome to work with.

Also, I have used silver with the Utopia and find it an amazing pairing. I feel that well implemented silver is not bright at all, contrary to popular belief. Am currently using their palladium offering for both Utopia and Susvara.

May 3, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #9,799 of 12,974

I'm now using Silver Dragon XLR with the Empy. I did have Meze's own Silver Plated cable before but I found the SD is superior (more details up top/bottom). Now I'm wondering if I upgrade to something like Norne Silvergarde (as listed below), would it make any significant difference in sound?

Though I can say I'm "content" with the SD, sometimes I felt the headphones sounded "boring" with certain albums. Not sure if this cable can brighten it up more without making it harsh (I'm very sensitive to sibilant). However, given that at 3Meter Norne is more than 2 times more expensive than the SD, I need information before taking a plunge.

1620006910608.png
IMHO, a bit of EQ will do wonders to achieve what you are looking for. Much more than any cable change... Saves a lot of money too. :)

May 3, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #9,800 of 12,974
Topping dx7 pro or Burson conductor 3x for Empyreans?
Sorry for the late response. After reading this whole thread, I noticed that a few folks seem to find that the Burson Conductor to be a good pairing with the Empyreans, but I'll leave that to actual owners can obviously chime in with their more informed thoughts. I definitely endorse the Topping DX7 Pro as a budget pick, but take my input with a healthy bit of salt, as I'm wet behind the ears with gear and have not tried any other options. That said, I hear what I hear, and from my standpoint, the DX7 Pro has been very good for me, definitely no lack of clean power.

If anything though, the DX7 Pro's reputation to be more on the analytical side is certainly true for me, and I personally find that with my chain, the leather pads in particular can be a bit on the harsh/bright side with a some of my music, although YMMV. As such, I do think it's possible that an upgrade to something perhaps a bit on the warmer side while still being plenty detailed (like the Conductor) might be exactly what I'm looking for in general, although I'm not going to upgrade at all without an audition and finding something I find to be worth it, as the Topping DX7 Pro is pretty solid.

Thanks to a generous offering from a fellow head-fier, I have been given the chance of borrowing a pair of Empyreans for close to a month now, so time is up for sharing some impressions!

I was curious to give a proper listening to the Empy after a couple of very brief occasions where I found them underwhelming compared to both their reputation and my expectations.
This time, I could let their sound signature sink in (they are very different sounding than my daily driver, the AB-1266), and, above all, I had the chance of playing with some combinations of earpads and cables which ended up as an eye-opening experience.

First-off, to reconnect with my previous listening, I tried them with the leather pads, and immediately I recognized the traits that I did not appreciate in my former auditions, namely a nearly bloated bass and an overly dark and warm signature which does not fit my tastes, especially with the music genres I listen the most, i.e. classical and jazz.

The revelation came when I switched to the alcantara pads, which I never tried before, and that transformed the Empyrean into a definitely more interesting animal for me...
I realize that many others in this same thread reported exactly the opposite, but I hear what I hear, and what I hear with the alcantara pads is a more balanced, neutral sound with a tighter, punchier, better defined bass / sub-bass which does not bleed into the lower midrange.

I had the possibility of rolling three headphone cables: a Moon Audio Black Dragon, their Silver Dragon and a custom solid copper core cable my friend included in the package, of which I do not know the sourcing.
The solid copper turned to be my preferred one, because of its ability to retain the full bodied sound signature of the Empyrean, together with a better sense of speed and transparency, so most of my listening since then has then been with the alcantara pads / solid copper cable.

In this configuration, I found the Empyrean a very appealing headphone, as it combines a very pleasing tonality, tilted towards a rich, meaty, round core sound presentation, with a very good handling of the technical skills one expects at this level of gear.
It has a relatively forward, but totally not fatiguing, display of midrange contents - vocals in primis - and an overall smoothness which is suggesting a relaxed abandon to listening rather than an analytical approach.
It manages to still allow a good insight in the details of a score, a wide and deep soundstage with more than decent imaging and separation.
The bass is bouncy and full without being loose in the best planar-magnetic way, and the treble is well extended as well.

I found the Empyrean most enjoyable with vocals - thanks to a visceral and luxuriant midrange -, modern pop / rock music - thanks to its energy density and rather forgiving nature -, and with thinner classical recordings.

In comparison to the other flagship headphones I had in my stable, the Empyrean fall somewhat in between the LCD-4 and Susvara in terms of overall balance, and most certainly far from the AB-1266 / RAAL SR1a colder, more analytical character.

vs. LCD-4: the Audeze have a special way of presenting the midrange, and vocals in particular, with a creaminess which is impossible to resist. Also, their bass is even deeper, more enveloping than the Empy's. On the other hand the highs are more rolled-off and the PRaT is a bit weaker on the LCD-4.

vs. Susvara: the Susvara - out of a great amp - is a more technically accomplished headphone IMHO: detail, transparency, visceral impact, bass layering, treble resolution are all superior to the Empyrean. The midrange is comparatively leaner on the HiFiMan but possibly even truer; conversely, they are less forgiving.

vs. AB-1266 TC: my system is optimized for the Abyss with the Superconductor cable, the Riviera AIC-10 amp and a carefully matched Mullard NOS tube being chosen to mitigate the coldness / thinness / recession of its midrange. Even after this (wildly expensive, by the way) optimization, the Empyrean shows a more satisfying midrange, especially in the vocals region, and a better sense of presence due to its slightly more forwardness. The TC are superior in all other areas, e.g. the slam, the theatrical soundstage management, the extension, control and articulation of the bass, the rhythmic drive and speed, transparency.

vs. SR1a: well the SR1a is the polar opposite of the Empy, they are so much yin/yang headphones, that it does not even make much sense to make a comparison. Think Lotus Elise vs. BMW X5.

A big advantage of the Empyrean over the other products mentioned above is that they are immensely easier to drive. Actually, in my system I even preferred them directly out of my Chord DAVE than from the Riviera AIC-10 to some respects (agility, detail, transparency).

All in all, I did not find any apparent flaw on the Empyrean, it goes close to the scoring full marks over most of the parameters I tend to refer in my enjoyment of audio gear, although without excelling in any specific one, and it has an overall easy to love, full and rich, signature that makes it a great choice as a single option (especially if you don't want to invest in powerful amps) or, in my situation, a very nice complement to something like the AB-1266.
Thank you so much for this review, it's a great read and extremely helpful to the rest of us. I find that your comparison to (perhaps more well regarded) TOTL choices that you own is very interesting. I would think that given your gear, it'd be really hard not to either A) be completely biased based towards the great headphones that you already own and are used to or B) get overly excited about something because it's new and fresh. Well done!

I totally agree with you about the differences between the leather and Alcantara pads, even though your chain is superior than mine, and we listen to totally different music.

Again, to sum it up the most general, simple terms, for me, with my present equipment, the leather pads are high reward/high risk, and are best suited for slower and less complex music (again, being very general here). The Alcantaras being the more solid choice really shocks me. If the Alcantaras still sounded like they did when my Empys were brand new- I would have been totally disappointed overall, and that's fascinating to me. My biggest question, how much of it is equipment breaking in versus my brain getting used to the Empys?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter, because perception is everything, and I'm really happy. I'm sure that there are other headphones that are purely better at detail retrieval, but I'm honestly not too hung up on that, I find that the Empys offer microdetails in a way that I find that to be natural and enjoyable. I hear chairs move around in song that I haven't heard before and can almost visualize the positions of the chairs, just more details in everything, seemingly (with Alcantara pads). I've listened to Violent Femmes "Add It Up" dozens of times over the years, and tonight was the first time that I SAW Gordon Gaino smirk when singing a certain line. Very cool. The resolution and overall sound makes me not want to listen to my Elexes, period, no offense to anyone who also owns and likes the Elex (and they're a heck of a lot less money).

Headphones are one of the most subjective hobbies that I've been around (besides visual art and music itself), but there are definitely key distinct similarities with other hobbies I've enjoyed.

Depending on the hobby, I find that often, buying better quality/flagship gear is not assured to work better for everyone. Why? Higher quality gear is typically designed by opinionated enthusiasts with their own specific tastes in mind, just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #9,801 of 12,974

1620006910608.png
Norne Silvergarde is about as good as it gets.
Certainly gets a recommendedation from me.

However it doesn't make the sound brighter at all, so if that is your goal you might need EQ or look elsewhere

May 3, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #9,802 of 12,974
IMHO, a bit of EQ will do wonders to achieve what you are looking for. Much more than any cable change... Saves a lot of money too. :)

Norne Silvergarde is about as good as it gets.
Certainly gets a recommendedation from me.

However it doesn't make the sound brighter at all, so if that is your goal you might need EQ or look elsewhere

Too bad my setup doesn't allow any form of EQ (aurender as a streamer direct to QB9 Twenty). I'd love to try EQ though.

May 3, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #9,803 of 12,974
Too bad my setup doesn't allow any form of EQ (aurender as a streamer direct to QB9 Twenty). I'd love to try EQ though.
How about Roon? That's what I use, feeding into the auralic.

May 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #9,804 of 12,974
As a matter of curiosity how you use the Auralic in a Roon setup? I assume you are talking about the Auralic Aries?

May 3, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #9,805 of 12,974
As a matter of curiosity how you use the Auralic in a Roon setup? I assume you are talking about the Auralic Aries?
Yes, auralic aries g2 connected via utp, as a Roon endpoint. USB to m scaler.

May 3, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #9,806 of 12,974
So I have the Rai Penta for a week now and really like it as well.

Meze is my favourite headphone manufacturer now and proved that they are capable of more than a one hit wonder

May 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #9,807 of 12,974
A question for Empys lovers, which music genre do you prefer with them? (and which you don't like or prefer with other headphones?). I know that they are considered a good all-genre headphones, but maybe you like them more with some particular genres.

Right now, I'm enjoying a lot rock and metal with my re-purchased DT 1990 Pros :L3000:

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #9,808 of 12,974
So I have the Rai Penta for a week now and really like it as well.

Meze is my favourite headphone manufacturer now and proved that they are capable of more than a one hit wonder
The Meze 99 classics is also a little wonder, but not coming close to the Empyrean. For closed-back needs I would prefer if the long-hinted Empyrean-level closed-back HP would materialize.

May 3, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #9,809 of 12,974
Aurender does not play well with anyone outside its ecosystem, so using EQ through Roon is out of question.

The reason I picked Aurender as my music service is that, when I compared the SQ of their music server with my setup at the time (Mac & Audirvana+ which sounded superior (with my specific setup) to Roon Nucleus+), Aurender blew my Mac out of the water.

It seems if I wanna use EQ, I'd have to switch brand, as, AFAIK, EQ is not possible with any Aurender models (even with their high-end $22K WE20SE).

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #9,810 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back