Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 4, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #9,826 of 12,975
Ok in that price range there are:

Feliks Euforia Anniversary Edition (even though price got increased to 2800 in some countries) - warm tubey character, well liked with the Empyrean but doesn't offer much power if you also need it for other headphones.

Depending on country the Cayin HA-6A.
Usually you can get it from many countries, however pricing is very random (some countries ask 2500 others 3600€)
If it is available, I can totally recommend it though.
It has a more modern less tubey sound, imo it hit the sweetspot.

McIntosh releases their new MHA 200 this month, maybe this turns out to be a hit as well. It also doesn't offer gobs of power, but with the Empyrean that is of no concern. (Price varies hugely just like cayin though)

Gott read up on the Auris, the Nirvana is amazing with the Empyrean. Maybe the little brother delivers as well

Turns out most others I had in mind are either US or more expensive.
Have also been looking for a tube amp to go into my chain, read so many good things on the Euforia, shame I can't seem to find a place to audition the unit here in Hong Kong, slightly hesitant to blow a massive wad of money on something I can only go on reviews by. :slight_frown:

The only few tube HP amps that I have seen around so far are the Manley Absolute which I wasn't too impressed by, the Cayin Ha300 and the PrimaLuna Evo series. I recall you mentioning the PrimaLunas a while back, what are you thoughts on that unit?

J

May 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #9,827 of 12,975
Have also been looking for a tube amp to go into my chain, read so many good things on the Euforia, shame I can't seem to find a place to audition the unit here in Hong Kong, slightly hesitant to blow a massive wad of money on something I can only go on reviews by. :slight_frown:

The only few tube HP amps that I have seen around so far are the Manley Absolute which I wasn't too impressed by, the Cayin Ha300 and the PrimaLuna Evo series. I recall you mentioning the PrimaLunas a while back, what are you thoughts on that unit?

J
I'm curious about the Manley but don't have an experience with that one and the Empyrean.

The PrimaLunas are integrated amps, since they are so similar to the Cayin HA-6A I only recommend them if you want to use speakers as well or are set on KT150s.

Otherwise the Cayin ha-6a offers similar performance for way less money.

May 4, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #9,828 of 12,975
May 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #9,829 of 12,975
How does the empyrean perform with jazz piano solo (e.g. Keith Jarrett) and especially classical piano solo (from Lang Lang, Igor Levit etc.,etc. to Glenn Gould). I like my ZMF Verite and HD800s for most of my preferred music styles but they both are not ideal for piano solo to my taste. So I hope the Empyrean could fill this gap in my stable. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #9,830 of 12,975
May 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #9,831 of 12,975
May 4, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #9,832 of 12,975
How does the empyrean perform with jazz piano solo (e.g. Keith Jarrett) and especially classical piano solo (from Lang Lang, Igor Levit etc.,etc. to Glenn Gould). I like my ZMF Verite and HD800s for most of my preferred music styles but they both are not ideal for piano solo to my taste. So I hope the Empyrean could fill this gap in my stable. Thanks for your advice.

I have to admit I have not put it on for piano solo for quite some time. Now I just tried my favourite, Mozart piano sonatas by Roberto Prosseda. I love how the deep registers are coming through with timbre. One can feel also the hall where it was recorded.
Then Keth Jarrett The Köln Concert. Danger! Goose bumps are coming!

Well, finally it really depends on your taste :)

May 4, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #9,833 of 12,975
Incredible. I'm at the goal..😳👍

Screenshot_20210504-221822_Neutron Player.jpg

May 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #9,834 of 12,975
The musicality and timbre of the Empyreans are magnificent for piano solos.

The leather pads give a more intimate, richer sound and treble extension. But try the alacantara if you prefer the open air experience.

May 4, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #9,836 of 12,975
May 4, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #9,837 of 12,975

Funny you should ask this just as I was about to email some music/hifi friends about this CD:
Belanger and Bisson, Conversations; UHQ CD.
And what I was going to say was that on my headphone system with Empyrean, the piano on this CD really, really sounds like a piano; and I've only ever found that before with high end vinyl. My speaker system is primarily high end LP, with a modest CD player. The headphone system is CD only with a very good Lector DAC (multibit and valve). It is rare that, as a vinyl junkie, I admit that CD is as good! Or perhaps here, even better!!

Anyway, on the headphone system, I get the percussion of the piano, fast leading edges, natural tonality, it just sounds right and good. Of course you need a good source and amp to get all this. I do tend to believe that a good multibit player or dac contributes to this percussion and power, and valves contribute to the tone and atmosphere. But given a good source and amp of any type, the Empy will do piano well.

Piano on Cheryl Bentine's CD Talk of the Town is sounding very good as I type - quite distracting!

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #9,838 of 12,975
I'm curious about the Manley but don't have an experience with that one and the Empyrean.

The PrimaLunas are integrated amps, since they are so similar to the Cayin HA-6A I only recommend them if you want to use speakers as well or are set on KT150s.

Otherwise the Cayin ha-6a offers similar performance for way less money.

The amp itself was well put together, with all the knobs and switches feeling pretty good. With all the available tuning options available, and the fact that it could also be used as a preamp, I can see how this would make a pretty flexible unit for some, I do intend to add a set of speakers at some point so the preamp function is a must have. But overall having heard it and tweaking with the settings and inboard EQ, it didn't wow me like the TT2 did.

May 5, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #9,839 of 12,975
For that it might be just perfect.
Got my Rai Penta in the meantime, and yeah for pleasant background music during work they are perfect.

Very comfortable even for hours and the sound signature is also non fatiguing.
The tonal Balance is impressive and I really enjoy them.

Can't wait for my custom eartips

May 5, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #9,840 of 12,975
Ok so I've been testing switching between various equipment: Jotenheim 2, Bifrost 2, Matrix Element X and Euphoria AE.

To me the Matrix is probably a better DAC and works better with the Euphoria than the Bifrost (in my opinion) but... wow that Schiit combo is unbelievable!

The Matrix / Euphoria combination is clean, refined and smooth (to be expected from tubes) - really wonderful, clear and mellow... But...that Schiit stack is just punchy fun fun fun. Really impressed with the value of that equipment.

That Euphoria absolutely transformed the Matrix DAC which quite frankly could sound a little clinical (and therefore boring) from the built in Headphone out. The AE smooths it off beautifully and its a clear, refined, wine sipping listening experience.

I had assumed that the Bifrost 2 would come into the picture and replace the Matrix as the new DAC and I would sell that but both combinations are fabulous.

I'll have to put one in the bedroom now which was always going to be an option anyway.

I find the standard Oratory 1990 EQ settings (for Alacantra) sound great with both combos. The EQ I posted the other day is horrible haha (far too much bass). It only needs 1 or 2 dB extra in the low end of you're a bass head.

Anyway; also got some Silver Dragon V3 cables on the way. I'll be interested to hear how they compare the the Meze Cooper upgrade cables.

At any rate, I'm a happy camper so thanks for the suggestions here.

:gs1000smile:

Attachments

• 20210505_194023.jpg
    20210505_194023.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back