Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #6,781 of 12,974
@Roasty
Offtopic question: did you inquire how much the wildism holo may Costs?
If I recall correctly, you intended to do that.

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #6,782 of 12,974
@Roasty
Offtopic question: did you inquire how much the wildism holo may Costs?
If I recall correctly, you intended to do that.

I was quoted HKD29980 for a L2 Holo May, but that was for an early bird discount.

At that price, the Rockna Wavelight is another contender. I much prefer the aesthetics of the Rockna.. Not a big fan of the lettering/font used on the Holo dacs. It is seems less apparent on the May though, and the two box setup may appeal to some.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #6,783 of 12,974
I was quoted HKD29980 for a L2 Holo May, but that was for an early bird discount.

At that price, the Rockna Wavelight is another contender. I much prefer the aesthetics of the Rockna.. Not a big fan of the lettering/font used on the Holo dacs. It is seems less apparent on the May though, and the two box setup may appeal to some.
I see, the two Box Setup indeed does appeal to me.
Imagine it beneath a WA 33 and some copper Empyreans.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #6,784 of 12,974
Ok, Empyrean people question time... which loudspeaker has a sound signature similar to the Empyreans? Obviously, speakers and headphones are different but I'm focusing on the overall sound signature here. Your input is appreciated!

I bought the Empy because it was described as having the sound signature of the floor standing speaker I am getting next. After a month with the Empy's I tend to agree that the Empy sounds like this speaker. I am using a Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3B with the Empy. That combo sounded so good that I decided to get 2 Benchmark AHB2 amps to run in mono to get the similar sound as the Empy with the floor standers. The AHB2 has the same THX circuit as the HPA4 headphone amp.

The speaker is the relatively new Yamaha NS 5000. It is a tour de force of technology and is the only box speaker in the world where all 3 drivers, including a 12 inch woofer are made from the same material. The coherent sound you get from this speaker is one of the best in the world. I went on a audio demo tour last eyar in Los Angeles and I heard tons of speakers.

This new driver material is supposedly better than Beryllium. Yamaha was the first speaker maker to use Beryillium in the 1970's, in the tweeter and mid-range of the NS 1000. It is only now that many other high end speakers use Beryllium. Yamaha recently released a 2 driver monitor based on the same driver material called the NS 3000 for $6K. You will see a review of that maybe this up coming week on some audio site or magazine. The NS 5000 is $15K and a little large for my room but I am now considering sharing my kids play room (our living room) with the big bookshelf NS 5000. I also think a speaker in-between the NS 3000 and NS 5000, maybe NS 4000 will also be released soon. The Empy and my current KEF LS50's will hold me out until I know what exact Yamaha model to get.

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6,785 of 12,974
Based on your picture, you have a very nice vintage Pioneer stereo that would likely have the Empy's sounding glorious................have you used it yet???? All I use are vintage amps, driving low impedance headphones (Denon LA7000) all the way up to very hard to drive planars (HE-6SE) and have NEVER been disappointed with the sound.
I have been using it a little the last few days and while its not as clean and there is a little hum on quite passages compared to the Klipsch it does provide a fuller sound with so much more power on tap.

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #6,786 of 12,974
Loving the Empyrean so far. I had a 3 hour listening session yesterday with no ear fatigue after which was nice. I can now again listen to new albums and not care how they were recorded as they would be brutal on some of my previous headphones. I listen to a lot of metal and late last night I decided to give it a little treble bump to give guitars more edge and it actually worked out pretty well. I have tried to EQ in the past and never liked it and went back to stock. Going to do another 3 hour session today and if there is no ear fatigue then I might leave the EQ on. Saves cash on a silver cable as I had a look at those they look nice but damn are they expensive.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #6,787 of 12,974
Loving the Empyrean so far. I had a 3 hour listening session yesterday with no ear fatigue after which was nice. I can now again listen to new albums and not care how they were recorded as they would be brutal on some of my previous headphones. I listen to a lot of metal and late last night I decided to give it a little treble bump to give guitars more edge and it actually worked out pretty well. I have tried to EQ in the past and never liked it and went back to stock. Going to do another 3 hour session today and if there is no ear fatigue then I might leave the EQ on. Saves cash on a silver cable as I had a look at those they look nice but damn are they expensive.
Quite often the recommendation re eq is boost 3-6db around 1 khz (If you haven’t already done that)
That works for me

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #6,788 of 12,974
I bought the Empy because it was described as having the sound signature of the floor standing speaker I am getting next. After a month with the Empy's I tend to agree that the Empy sounds like this speaker. I am using a Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3B with the Empy. That combo sounded so good that I decided to get 2 Benchmark AHB2 amps to run in mono to get the similar sound as the Empy with the floor standers. The AHB2 has the same THX circuit as the HPA4 headphone amp.

The speaker is the relatively new Yamaha NS 5000. It is a tour de force of technology and is the only box speaker in the world where all 3 drivers, including a 12 inch woofer are made from the same material. The coherent sound you get from this speaker is one of the best in the world. I went on a audio demo tour last eyar in Los Angeles and I heard tons of speakers.

This new driver material is supposedly better than Beryllium. Yamaha was the first speaker maker to use Beryillium in the 1970's, in the tweeter and mid-range of the NS 1000. It is only now that many other high end speakers use Beryllium. Yamaha recently released a 2 driver monitor based on the same driver material called the NS 3000 for $6K. You will see a review of that maybe this up coming week on some audio site or magazine. The NS 5000 is $15K and a little large for my room but I am now considering sharing my kids play room (our living room) with the big bookshelf NS 5000. I also think a speaker in-between the NS 3000 and NS 5000, maybe NS 4000 will also be released soon. The Empy and my current KEF LS50's will hold me out until I know what exact Yamaha model to get.
Those Yamaha's look very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #6,789 of 12,974
I have found the same thing. This is the first can I can listen to at any volume and not be fatigued after hours. I really like these guys.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #6,790 of 12,974
Which silver cable?

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #6,791 of 12,974
A lot of these silver cables are darn expensive that Im tempted to learn how to make them myself. I sometimes wonder what's the mark up? like times 10 of material?

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #6,792 of 12,974
Added a Richard Gray:
15921514810957100679865902922788.jpg

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #6,795 of 12,974
Quite often the recommendation re eq is boost 3-6db around 1 khz (If you haven’t already done that)
That works for me
I use Apple Music on a Mac mini so I use EQ within the app. I usually go through each slider and adjust to what I like then go back after 30 minutes and see if I like it which I usually laugh because its horrible. I then have a look at a graph and try and increase where it dips but usually still prefer stock tuning. I then just selected the preset treble booster and then halved what the preset increase was. Listened for awhile and liked it, went back 30 minutes later still liked it. Switched off EQ, listened for a bit then switched it back on and I preferred the EQ so I'm going to stick with it for now. Still no ear fatigue so happy days :)

Just got to decide if I need the Feliks Euforia now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back