Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #6,391 of 12,984
I agree with Betula in that I think the TT2 is such a good source, SS amp that the LP is a bit of a let down for it. I have to admit I used to own the LP and did not find it detailed enough for my RME DAC, let alone a TT2. I do think yes you would have to go to Pendant level in order to preserve the TT2 signal. Heck, I would love to have a TT2 alone.

Thanks, mixman!
Yes the TT2 alone IS a very nice SS amp and I am thrilled with the sound. I just want a tube option and it may end up being the Pendant, ECP T4 or I just stay with the LP seeing I have a nice assortment of tubes that work well with that amp.

BTW, Betula was singing the praises of the TT2 / Empy for some time on this forum and I thank him for the push off the ledge I needed!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #6,392 of 12,984
Thanks, mixman!
Yes the TT2 alone IS a very nice SS amp and I am thrilled with the sound. I just want a tube option and it may end up being the Pendant, ECP T4 or I just stay with the LP seeing I have a nice assortment of tubes that work well with that amp.

BTW, Betula was singing the praises of the TT2 / Empy for some time on this forum and I thank him for the push off the ledge I needed!
Ha, the irony of it all is....I believe Betula is now using the RME and no longer the TT2.

@betula......Did you sell your TT2 yet?

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #6,393 of 12,984
I'm looking for a better amp , not necessarily the most powerful . I know the empys are not hard to drive , but they surely do scale with better amp .
better off using the hugo 2 directly without an amp....they have no problem driving them and it will be far more transparent

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #6,394 of 12,984
Hello Guys,
With Hugo2 as my dac , what will be a good amp to buy to pair nicely with the empyrean. Budget is up to $1.5k
Just see how you find the hugo 2 and from there if you want to tweak the sound with an amp.

i am happy with my auralic taurus 2 amd don’t feel the need for a change (second hand definitely within your budget) am am curious with gsx mini though i have not heard it (a little over your budget)

i have not lived with the tt2 but demoed it with my empyrean and hekse. with the empys (within a 2 hour demo) the tt2 did not match up with current preferences FOR ME. who knows if i took it home and got accustomed to it it might have been fine. But in only these initial impressions i was not compelled to go in the direction of the tt2 for the empyreans. Hekse maybe.
(my dac is the metrum hex which for me has an analogue sound so different somewhat to the tt2 - ps i do like the chord qutest dac)

i have also found some amps have matched up well with the empys for me and others haven’t

that’s my 2c in amp recommendation

and do strongly consider a good silver cable in your tweaking if you feel you would like to. I have the norne silver draug

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #6,396 of 12,984
Ha, the irony of it all is....I believe Betula is now using the RME and no longer the TT2.

Just as a casual reader, I should point out that Betula did post (nice, long, informative post) in the RME ADI-2 DAC thread about the reasons for trying the RME, how it is a step down from the TT2 for him (as it should be for 1/5th the price), comparison RME to the TT2, etc. Worth a read to get the complete picture. We all have reasons for switching gear and we are not always on an upward trajectory.

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #6,397 of 12,984

I still have the TT2 but unfortunately it soon has to go purely for financial reasons.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,398 of 12,984
I still have the TT2 but unfortunately it soon has to go purely for financial reasons.
Yeah I am sure many of us have been there before. Having to give up prized gear because of the practicalities of life.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #6,399 of 12,984
The Empryean was sounding VERY good straight off the tt2, but when I switched to my big amp(WA33)
I was getting low end rumble that was very addictive.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #6,400 of 12,984
Yeah I am sure many of us have been there before. Having to give up prized gear because of the practicalities of life.
Indeed. It is not painless, but life is more than audio and sometimes you just have to reprioritise.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #6,401 of 12,984
The mini is another good option but being a warm headphone to me at least the mini extended the warmth but still good option. Do you want to spend 8 grand 5 grand or 1700 usd. Maybe the SPL would be a good match to try.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #6,402 of 12,984
The mini is another good option but being a warm headphone to me at least the mini extended the warmth but still good option. Do you want to spend 8 grand 5 grand or 1700 usd. Maybe the SPL would be a good match to try.
I have always been interested in the Mini and the Phonitor 2 is an intriguing option as well. Can you compare the two?

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #6,403 of 12,984
no, I've only had the mini.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #6,404 of 12,984
1C8C3DD6-256F-4285-9014-26F83954567D.jpeg

Evening listening session. I can go all night .😀

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #6,405 of 12,984
I know a few regulars here have tried the ZMF Pendant with the Empy and would like their impressions of this pairing.
I am thrilled with the TT2 amp for SS and my LP for tube/hybrid and don't really have any complaints with my favorite tubes in the LP.

I do, however, have the itch to try the ZMF Pendant or ECP T4 with the Empy and Verite open.
The only in depth Pendant review I have read was by @Torq (Ian) and he felt the Empy had a bit too much bloom in the bass.
Both amps are right at $2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back