Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 24, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #6,361 of 13,028
@MezeTeam I can't find the original post, but I read somewhere that Meze is working on more than one new headphones and more than one new pads for the Empyrean. I know everything is super secret and the present circumstances delay work, but is there any chance you could give us a vague estimation when something (either new headphones or the new Empyrean pads) might be announced? End of Summer? End of 2020? Next year?
On the one hand I am really interested to see what tuning options the Empyrean owners get from the new pads, on the other hand my gut feelings tell me that a 'more affordable Empyrean' is on its way. A bit like it was with the 99Classics and 99Neo. Sound quality pretty close to the original, but in a lot cheaper chassis.
If a 'baby Empy' would be released somewhere between £1000-1600 I am pretty sure that would be a hit. Just my thoughts running of course...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #6,362 of 13,028
@MezeTeam I can't find the original post, but I read somewhere that Meze is working on more than one new headphones and more than one new pads for the Empyrean. I know everything is super secret and the present circumstances delay work, but is there any chance you could give us a vague estimation when something (either new headphones or the new Empyrean pads) might be announced? End of Summer? End of 2020? Next year?
On the one hand I am really interested to see what tuning options the Empyrean owners get from the new pads, on the other hand my gut feelings tell me that a 'more affordable Empyrean' is on its way. A bit like it was with the 99Classics and 99Neo. Sound quality pretty close to the original, but in a lot cheaper chassis.
If a 'baby Empy' would be released somewhere between £1000-1600 I am pretty sure that would be a hit. Just my thoughts running of course...

Yes, we have several headphone projects on-going concurrently, but we don't have a deadline on these projects. Meze Audio insists "perfection within budget", so until we achieve the quality we are aiming at, we don't have a launch date.

Among the projects, the most predictable entry probably will be a revision to 99Classic. Can't tell you much about the project content at this stage, but given this is our "evergreen" headphone in past 5 years. we'll make sure something surprisingly good when it comes out. :L3000:

Last edited:
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #6,365 of 13,028
What have I just missed?
Probably something juicy! I was wondering the same thing...
Funny, I got a notification that Meze Team had replied to my post. Probably a silly response to my snide comment about 'Hotel California'.

Just to be clear, I loved Hotel California ... the first 17 million times I heard it. I owned a couple different vinyl recordings -- bought a copy when it first came out. And I owned James Gang albums in the early 70s, so was a big Joe Walsh fan before he ever joined the Eagles. (Actually, 'Rides Again' is still in my rotation.)

But the whole 'great song to evaluate your equipment' thing has made it wear out its welcome :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #6,366 of 13,028
Seems a bit odd that Meze's interaction with users would be through an employee that is so far away (Hong Kong!) from the offices of the company.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #6,367 of 13,028
Funny, I got a notification that Meze Team had replied to my post. Probably a silly response to my snide comment about 'Hotel California'.

Just to be clear, I loved Hotel California ... the first 17 million times I heard it. I owned a couple different vinyl recordings -- bought a copy when it first came out. And I owned James Gang albums in the early 70s, so was a big Joe Walsh fan before he ever joined the Eagles. (Actually, 'Rides Again' is still in my rotation.)

But the whole 'great song to evaluate your equipment' thing has made it wear out its welcome :)
Most mesmerising tracks start to loose some of their astonishing factor after clicking replay 2-300 times...

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #6,369 of 13,028
-1 for Hotel California :)

But I agree, other than Utopia, Empyrean was the best sounding set of my full-size cans when driven by my Opus #2 or Plenue II. All others 'required' an external amp with those DAPs.

Hahaha.
It's just taste, or too much time. ^^
Funny. :)

While I can name several full size headphones that can be considered "portable friendly", most of them are dynamic headphones. Planars eat current and this happens to be the weak link of battery driven DAP, so portable friend full-size planar is difficult to come by, and if these headphones are scalable like Empyrean and Utopia, it will enhance the practicality of the headphone dramatically.

I have adopted several tracks as my "ruler", aka measurement tools for audio performance. These tracks are "always" there in order to maintain consistency in measurement, you don't change the marking on a ruler, right? Yes, they are boring after you head them 1000 times, but rulers are supposed to be boring. On top of the variety of audio elements in the first 2 min intro of Hotel California, the popularity of this track is also an important consideration. I can find this track in almost any demo booth, and when I audition a new, unknown product, a familiar track will minimize the variable of playback and improve the efficiency of the audition exercise. :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #6,372 of 13,028
Has anyone tried pairing the Empy with the ECP T4? I have settled on the TT2 for a SS and DAC option and currently use the LP as a hybrid tube amp. I do like the LP using the TT2 as a DAC. Just wondering if L4 could drive the Empy's.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #6,374 of 13,028
Has anyone tried pairing the Empy with the ECP T4? I have settled on the TT2 for a SS and DAC option and currently use the LP as a hybrid tube amp. I do like the LP using the TT2 as a DAC. Just wondering if L4 could drive the Empy's.
I guess the reason you use the LP as an amp with the TT2 is because you want a warmer tube sound? I have not heard the ECP T4. I would think other than that you would have to use a really good tube amp to keep up with the TT2.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #6,375 of 13,028
I guess the reason you use the LP as an amp with the TT2 is because you want a warmer tube sound? I have not heard the ECP T4. I would think other than that you would have to use a really good tube amp to keep up with the TT2.

Yes the LP with HiVac 12AU7, WE 396A or Tube Monger 's Mini Mullard (CV3986) do give a warmer sound yet with detail from the TT2 DAC.

How about just the audio 'new shiny object'..........does that count? :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back