Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #4,591 of 12,974
I have both both the empyrean and the utopia and that would be a difficult one for me. I feel like between these 2's radically different presentations I have all my bases covered honestly and would not want to let either go. If it were one tho, it would be the Utopia. For a couple reasons, one, the empyrean is finer from a build quality point of view and two I can probably get more money for it on the secondary market. But I'd never, honestly. Not yet.

Thanks for this – makes me feel better :). Because I cannot decide, so it seems there is no sale going forward. I also carefully read the criticisms some put out here against the Utopia, and I can assure them, plug the Utopia into a powerful amp like an ican pro and you will hear their authority, the opposite of thin. They are transformed. The lovely Empy sounds pretty much the same from whereever I play it, one of its big advantages.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #4,592 of 12,974
Thanks for your perspective, but this is not what I hear with the utopia (i summarised my impressions vs the empy in an earlier post). But we all hear different.

I actually don't think we are hearing different, I think we are weighing our enjoyment differently. I didn't think the Utopia was anywhere near special enough to justify the price, I think it sounds good but many headphones sound as good but different. I'm sure if I heard some of the headphones I prefer to the Utopia on your "ideal Utopia set-up" my opinion would be the same: the sound good but not special enough for the asking.

Anyways, back to Empy discussion

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #4,594 of 12,974
Thanks for this – makes me feel better :). Because I cannot decide, so it seems there is no sale going forward. I also carefully read the criticisms some put out here against the Utopia, and I can assure them, plug the Utopia into a powerful amp like an ican pro and you will hear their authority, the opposite of thin. They are transformed. The lovely Empy sounds pretty much the same from whereever I play it, one of its big advantages.
I just see the Empy as a more complete HP than the Utopia. The Empy has a better soundstage and more full response. the Utopias bass is punchy and dynamic but not very full. For me also the Utopia's high end can also get a little irritating after a while. I just see it as a two trick pony and those tricks are detail and dynamics, which it is outstanding at, but for me not enough to buy them, despite the fact that they are bargains right now especially used.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #4,595 of 12,974
I actually don't think we are hearing different, I think we are weighing our enjoyment differently. I didn't think the Utopia was anywhere near special enough to justify the price, I think it sounds good but many headphones sound as good but different. I'm sure if I heard some of the headphones I prefer to the Utopia on your "ideal Utopia set-up" my opinion would be the same: the sound good but not special enough for the asking.

Anyways, back to Empy discussion
you could be doing both

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #4,596 of 12,974
I have just returned to my TT2/Empyrean after 6 days deprivation. :)
I don't think these headphones should be judged or reviewed from lesser gear than this. All the very slight criticism I have ever read about them simply vanishes. Crystal clear sound, clean bass, amazing dynamism, pinpoint accuracy and spaciousness while keeping a musical and pleasant tone. What an achievement, really. TT2 brings out the best from them.
Truly an absolute top shelf combo these days. And my perfect endgame in 2019. :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #4,597 of 12,974
I have just returned to my TT2/Empyrean after 6 days deprivation. :)
I don't think these headphones should be judged or reviewed from lesser gear than this. All the very slight criticism I have ever read about them simply vanishes. Crystal clear sound, clean bass, amazing dynamism, pinpoint accuracy and spaciousness while keeping a musical and pleasant tone. What an achievement, really. TT2 brings out the best from them.
Truly an absolute top shelf combo these days. And my perfect endgame in 2019. :)

LOL. Nothing worse than audio snob. Especially when it’s matter of personal opinion

So are people supposed to read reviews of this headphone only with and game source components, but yet own components that you deem not endgame? How are potential customers supposed to know how it will sound with the “common man” service components? LOL.

Besides, everyone’s idea of endgame is different. To me personally if the only source there was Hugo, I would give up audio and just buy another motorcycle.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,598 of 12,974
LOL. Nothing worse than audio snob. Especially when it’s matter of personal opinion

So are people supposed to read reviews of this headphone only with and game source components, but yet own components that you deem not endgame?

Besides, everyone’s idea of endgame is different. To me personally if the only source there was Hugo, I would give up audio and just buy another motorcycle.
First time someone calls me a snob, that is a very mature way to start a conversation.

All I meant was it is somewhat pointless to drive a super sport car with an egg under the accelerator pedal. Yes, 100 mph is still fun in a Ferrari, but a Ferrari is not about 100 mph. End game level headphones shine with end game level components, whether you like it or not. This is not snobbery.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,599 of 12,974
OK, Maybe a poor choice of words.

Not everyone can listen to their headphones with top of the line equipment. Some people even use a DAP. Is the best way to drive it? Of course not, but that’s what they have. They have the same right to know how the headphones sound with this type of equipment and lesser expensive equipment, then just end game equipment.

If you look at reviews from Project86 he will always include a variety of components depending on the type of component he is reviewing.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,600 of 12,974
OK, Maybe a poor choice of words.

Not everyone can listen to their headphones with top of the line equipment. Some people even use a DAP. Is the best way to drive it? Of course not, but that’s what they have. They have the same right to know how the headphones sound with this type of equipment and lesser expensive equipment, then just end game equipment.

If you look at reviews from Project86 he will always include a variety of components depending on the type of component he is reviewing.
IMO components should match the headphones someone is using otherwise they are missing out and it is also unfair to judge a higher-end component in a lower-end setup.

If someone can only afford mid-fi gear, perhaps shouldn't write reviews about summit-fi headphones. There are a lot of nice mid-fi headphones that nicely match sweet sounding mid-fi amps/DACs.
The only scenario I think it is justifiable to keep high-end headphones with mid-fi gear is if someone is planning to upgrade the gear as well in the relatively near future to match the new headphones. But that stage is too early to make final judgements about the headphones and write buying advice about it.

Just my opinion, don't have to agree.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #4,603 of 12,974
To call someone names is a pretty childish way to articulate your disagreement. This is cold logic, not snobbery.

It is not calling someone a name. It’s is a characterization of ones attitude.

If someone says, I don’t know how anyone doesn’t drive a BMW, that would be considered snobbery. Calling them an asshole would be calling them names.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #4,604 of 12,974
IMO components should match the headphones someone is using otherwise they are missing out and it is also unfair to judge a higher-end component in a lower-end setup.

If someone can only afford mid-fi gear, perhaps shouldn't write reviews about summit-fi headphones. There are a lot of nice mid-fi headphones that nicely match sweet sounding mid-fi amps/DACs.
The only scenario I think it is justifiable to keep high-end headphones with mid-fi gear is if someone is planning to upgrade the gear as well in the relatively near future to match the new headphones. But that stage is too early to make final judgements about the headphones and write buying advice about it.

Just my opinion, don't have to agree.
Totally agree with Ken. Those “mid fi” guys may call YOU crazy for spending so much on gear because they cannot hear the difference between their Schiit Stack and your gear. I am happy with my Empy’s on my lowly THX, RME combo. Would I be happier with more expensive gear.....maybe. That is the whole point of the Empy that it doesn’t need TOTL amps and DAC’s to sound good. Would it sound better on better gear? It depends on who is listening. You have to remember not everyone hears the same and for them, if they cannot hear the difference between their Jot and your TT2 then they SHOULD NOT buy it, as it would be a waste of money. I suppose at that point you might say they shouldn’t then even bother getting the Empy........:face_palm:

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #4,605 of 12,974
It is not calling someone a name. It’s is a characterization of ones attitude.

If someone says, I don’t know how anyone doesn’t drive a BMW, that would be considered snobbery. Calling them an asshole would be calling them names.
That's very nice. Now you are calling me an a$$hole. I have finished talking to you thank you very much.
Totally agree with Ken. Those “mid fi” guys may call YOU crazy for spending so much on gear because they cannot hear the difference between their Schiit Stack and your gear. I am happy with my Empy’s on my lowly THX, RME combo. Would I be happier with more expensive gear.....maybe. That is the whole point of the Empy that it doesn’t need TOTL amps and DAC’s to sound good. Would it sound better on better gear? It depends on who is listening. You have to remember not everyone hears the same and for them, if they cannot hear the difference between their Jot and your TT2 then they SHOULD NOT buy it, as it would be a waste of money. I suppose at that point you might say they shouldn’t then even bother getting the Empy........:face_palm:
This is the Empyrean thread, my friend. Why is it a sin to say that the Empyrean will sound the best out of TOTL gear?
Anyone can buy anything they desire regardless the level of their hearing. The more Empyreans are sold the better it is for Meze. But yeah, if someone can't hear the difference between mid-fi and high-end gear, why bother buying TOTL headphones at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back