Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #4,621 of 12,975
A calm voice is welcomed. Thanks for your input.
I can understand why someone is buying the Empyrean with a Magni 3 for instance, but can't accept that this individual would never want to upgrade that Magni 3. (Exaggerated example on purpose.)
Yes, the Empyrean sounds good out of many budget amps. But I would argue that Magni 3 with Empyrean is more enjoyable than let's say an LCD2 out of Qutest and Taurus MKII or a Focal Clear out of an iFi Pro iDSD combo. All being around the same price.
I think it is important to get the priorities right. Many folks go for expensive headphones without improving their gear. I think that's not necessarily the best route.
you're expressing your opinion, which is fine, but that is all you're doing

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #4,626 of 12,975
I’ll try. First off Betula I’ve enjoyed your posts on the Empyrean. I’ve been researching possible headphone additions and the Empy sounds intriguing. And your enthusiasm for it adds to me wishing to hear one.

But for you to say, or imply that you have to have equipment at the level of a Chord TT2, my goodness. First off who decides the TT2 is the benchmark here? In my research I read posts saying they didn’t enjoy Chord equipment. So it is sort of fuzzy on what the benchmark even is. We all hear things differently as well.

Heck, I’m currently listening on the main headphone rig with the RME DAC to Jotunheim to HD650. I’d love to find out what others think of plugging or if they’ve plugged into a similar rig. But if I’m interpreting you accurately you’d tell me nope my rig isn’t good enough for an Empy.

Imagine if Meze suddenly issued a memo. Everyone that owns an Empy, if you’re not using it with equipment on the level of a TT2 or above you are to immediately return your Empy to the factory so we can find a better home for it.

Just kidding with you a little here, but dang if I’m going to spend 3k for a headphone I’d like to read reviews with it being used on all sorts of gear from a Jot to a Dave, with Woo equipment different tubes, tunes ect . Maybe in my upgrade cycle I’d like to get the Empy first and then if I audition a Chord (or whatever) and if it seems to be an upgrade then I’d make that leap later on you know?

And heck, In closing I’d love to hear the TT2 it sounds interesting! I have nothing against Chord whatsoever. I’ve never heard one I have only gone by user impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,627 of 12,975
I’ll try. First off Betula I’ve enjoyed your posts on the Empyrean. I’ve been researching possible headphone additions and the Empy sounds intriguing. And your enthusiasm for it adds to me wishing to hear one.

But for you to say, or imply that you have to have equipment at the level of a Chord Hugo, my goodness. First off who decides the Hugo is the benchmark here? In my research I read posts saying they didn’t enjoy Chord equipment. So it is sort of fuzzy on what the benchmark even is. We all hear things differently as well.

Heck, I’m currently listening on the main headphone rig with the RME DAC to Jotunheim to HD650. I’d love to find out what others think of plugging or if they’ve plugged into a similar rig. But if I’m interpreting you accurately you’d tell me nope my rig isn’t good enough for an Empy.

Imagine if Meze suddenly issued a memo. Everyone that owns an Empy, if you’re not using it with equipment on the level of a Hugo or above you are to immediately return your Empy to the factory so we can find a better home for it.

Just kidding with you a little here, but dang if I’m going to spend 3k for a headphone I’d like to read reviews with it being used on all sorts of gear from a Jot to a Dave, with Woo equipment different tubes, tunes ect . Maybe in my upgrade cycle I’d like to get the Empy first and then if I audition a Chord (or whatever) and if it seems to be an upgrade then I’d make that leap later on you know?

And heck, I’m closing I’d love to hear the Hugo it sounds interesting! I have nothing against Chord whatsoever. I’ve never heard one I have only gone by user impressions.
It was about a TT2, not the Hugo. And all I said was, IMO you need to spend approximately the same amount on gear that you spend on your headphones, otherwise you are missing out. People keep twisting and misinterpreting my words. Head-Fi is often like a shark's nest, you throw in something and before you realise you become the bait.
I regret bringing this question up and I think it is time to move on.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,628 of 12,975
It was about a TT2, not the Hugo. And all I said was, IMO you need to spend approximately the same amount on gear that you spend on your headphones, otherwise you are missing out. People keep twisting and misinterpreting my words. Head-Fi is often like a shark's nest, you throw in something and before you realise you become the bait.

Ha, yeah I guess I should have stayed out of it. I just wanted to make the point that I don't mind hearing/reading impressions of an Empy through a Jot (or whatever). And I changed the Hugo to TT2 in my post, yeah, if I'm trying to make a point I should at least use the right title for the equipment, sorry about that.

And I've been on the other side of the shark frenzy at least once (it was about a Yggy a year or so back on a question about an upgrade and it became a mini feeding frenzy) so I know how you feel. I like that you put IMO in there. Heck, when it comes down to it it's all just opinion anyway (including my own of course!!). That said I like reading yours and everyone elses.

Again, I've enjoyed your posts on the Empy and dang you've made me want to try one. I'm afraid to read your TT2 posts if there are any, your enthusiasm will probably make me want one of those too :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,629 of 12,975
I’m not a scientist, but I don’t think sharks have nests.

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #4,631 of 12,975
I will simply say this. the Hugo2 convinced me I want to go to TT2 and Mscaler, not in that order, asap.

I’m sure theres other nice stacks out there.

I do think that people tend to blame everything on headphones when their stack might be part of it. Especially reviewers.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #4,632 of 12,975
To bring up another heated topic - so, did anybody compare the Empy with the Verite? I'd be really interested.
Nah, not a heated topic like having to have a TOTL stack for your Empy's. Anyway, the Empy is a little more analytical, has more resolution with more energy in both the treble and bass. The Verite is warmer sounding, has a sweet midrange, less thick sounding than the Empy, with a spacious and more 3D soundstage. I would say they are different enough that you could own both. Neither are absolute analytical cans but are on the warm side of neutral.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,633 of 12,975
First time someone calls me a snob, that is a very mature way to start a conversation.

All I meant was it is somewhat pointless to drive a super sport car with an egg under the accelerator pedal. Yes, 100 mph is still fun in a Ferrari, but a Ferrari is not about 100 mph. End game level headphones shine with end game level components, whether you like it or not. This is not snobbery.

FWIIW I totally agree, it is difficult to pass judgment properly on a HP if one person is listening through a phone and the other is listening through a chord dave...obviously impressions will be different in both cases and both people could be correct given their sources

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #4,634 of 12,975
To bring up another heated topic - so, did anybody compare the Empy with the Verite? I'd be really interested.
Empy sounds thicker with more bass and better low-end extension due to its planar transducer. Verite somewhat sounds more delicate and thinner in texture when you compare them. Tonality is actually similar, neutral/warm with perhaps the Empy being a bit warmer. Detail retrieval is around the same level with slight differences regarding the gear you use. Empy's soundstage is bigger. For modern music I would go with Empy, for jazz or classical the Verite can be a strong alternative. Empy is easier to drive, Verite according to most ZMF owners sounds at its best from good tube amps.

Nah, not a heated topic like having to have a TOTL stack for your Empy's. Anyway, the Empy is a little more analytical, has more resolution with more energy in both the treble and bass. The Verite is warmer sounding, has a sweet midrange, less thick sounding than the Empy, with a spacious and more 3D soundstage. I would say they are different enough that you could own both. Neither are absolute analytical cans but are on the warm side of neutral.
You are bending reality too which is just fuel on the ashes. Nobody said Empy needs a TOTL stack. It runs nicely from entry level stacks, but improves a lot with better gear. If someone spends 2-3K on the Empy, another 2-3K for good quality DACs and amps is like giving respect to these cans to allow them to sound at their best. 2-3K is not TOTL stack for someone who can buy 2-3K headphones. TOTL stacks start at 8-10K.

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #4,635 of 12,975

Thanks for your perspective. Quite interesting ... since I am looking for a closed back, and the closed verite could be the one.

Also, thanks betula for your insights on the verite,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back