Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #4,561 of 12,974
Same thought here. Too heavy, too ugly, too hard to drive. It sounds good, but not so much better than other more cultivated-looking headphones. :wink:

Haha. Thanks for your perspective, but the ab-1266 will stay. They sound great, I find the weird construct comfortable at least when lying down and they come closest to speakers for someone who will never own large speakers because of constant moving.
@mixman : i don’t know in which setting you listened to the Utopias, but I am right now listening to them on my Hugo2, and i cannot confirm any liteness on bass (and the soundstage is not huge but it isn’t too narrow either).

I am leaning to sell the Empy because ... well, I at this point think that the focal sound signature is more for me. But I understand why others prefer the Empy, it is definitely more relaxed .

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,562 of 12,974
Empy vs Utopia
=============
... What do you guys think?
I think the problem is that, for you, Empy & Utopia are side-grades in the best possible sense. They offer distinct but equally appealing sound alternatives. I think you summarized their differences well. Your dilemma is that you have to ‘give something up’ no matter which you sell.

I know I’m hardly one to give advice about managing gear inventory, but ...

If I were you, I’d see if I could sell some other stuff instead of your cans. Reason is that cans make the biggest difference — multiple anything else just isn’t gonna give you near as much bang for the buck. Plus it sounds like you’ll really regret selling either.
============
Anyone tempted to take issue with my characterization (side-grades) note I said equally appealing, not equally technically proficient.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #4,563 of 12,974
I think the problem is that, for you, Empy & Utopia are side-grades in the best possible sense. They offer distinct but equally appealing sound alternatives...
...I am leaning to sell the Empy because ... well, I at this point think that the sound signature is more for me. But I understand why others prefer the Empy, it is definitely more relaxed .
Or maybe not so equally appealing for you :)

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,567 of 12,974
Indeed. Haha, they also can’t decide :)

I hate to say it again, but this is a "don't sell" situation. He will likely end up re-buying the Empyrean if he sells it. Sell only if sure you don't want to listen to them again.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #4,569 of 12,974
I think the problem is that, for you, Empy & Utopia are side-grades in the best possible sense. They offer distinct but equally appealing sound alternatives. I think you summarized their differences well. Your dilemma is that you have to ‘give something up’ no matter which you sell.

I know I’m hardly one to give advice about managing gear inventory, but ...

If I were you, I’d see if I could sell some other stuff instead of your cans. Reason is that cans make the biggest difference — multiple anything else just isn’t gonna give you near as much bang for the buck. Plus it sounds like you’ll really regret selling either.
============
Anyone tempted to take issue with my characterization (side-grades) note I said equally appealing, not equally technically proficient.

I actually disagree, i do agree that HP's all have their own sound signature so changing HP's can very much alter the experience of listening to music...that said, given either the empyrean or utopia or any other TOTL HP I have always felt that in terms of faith to the music that the source itself is far more important!....lets stipulate that if i listen to either the empyrean or the utopia through a chord dave it will sound better in either case than listening through a phone!...extreme example but my point is that at the level of these HP's it is more about personal preference of their presentation whereas the source is quite a bit more of a stark choice and more important IMHO

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4,570 of 12,974
I actually disagree, i do agree that HP's all have their own sound signature so changing HP's can very much alter the experience of listening to music...that said, given either the empyrean or utopia or any other TOTL HP I have always felt that in terms of faith to the music that the source itself is far more important!....lets stipulate that if i listen to either the empyrean or the utopia through a chord dave it will sound better in either case than listening through a phone!...extreme example but my point is that at the level of these HP's it is more about personal preference of their presentation whereas the source is quite a bit more of a stark choice and more important IMHO
Really? You think changing between comparably priced TOTL electronics could make a bigger difference than changing between TOTL cans? I guess I haven’t gotten there with my source chain.

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #4,571 of 12,974
I'd say exchanging the headphones will change the character of how music is played (musical, analytical), whereas changing the source affects the overall sound quality. I am with LCMusicLover, the fist matters more than the second (given the latter is at an acceptable standard).

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #4,573 of 12,974
a top notch speaker or HP is useless if the source is subpar

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #4,575 of 12,974
a top notch speaker or HP is useless if the source is subpar
I will say I think the gap is narrowing these days and only few sources are downright subpar. Dacs I do believe are closer in quality than before. Do you have to spend $10K on a DAC or Head amp do be able to hear the recording accurately, I don't think so. Can we hear the differences between less inexpensive DAC's and the more expensive, yeah most likely, will 95% of the consumers be able to? I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back