1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293
295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304
Next

Last
  1. CaptainFantastic
    For pretty much exactly 1k DAC + AMP look at the RME ADI-2 DAC. Its internal amp is more than enough and the measurements are excellent + tons of functionalities.

I am a future Empyrean buyer, so I haven't tried to combo myself, but the ADI-2 is an amazing unit that works very well with everything else that I've tried. I wonder if anyone in this thread has paired the two.

Quinto likes this.
  2. LeMat
    Very interesting comparison! Thanks. I get they are tonaly quite close, E2 being a bit more neutral/less fun than the Empy. Beyond the tonality, have you noticed any major difference in their resolving power? I did read non consistent points of view on the E2, some saying it's very resolving, some saying it's average (Elear or Clear level).

3. LCMusicLover
    It's actually hard to answer that question, which is probably the source of the varied opinions. There's a temptation to call Empy more detailed as its highs are a bit more pronounced. However, while E2 produces detail more subtly, it is there. On the other hand, Empy might seem less detailed due to the mid-bass/lower-mid rise which, on some tracks, could obscure high frequency detail.

I'm not familiar enough with Clear or Elear to compare the level of detail produced by Empy/E2. I would say that neither produces detail at the level of Utopia, but neither comes off as 'un-detailed' by comparison. Both are approximately as detailed as my Auteur, slightly less detailed than HEKv2, and a bit further below Utopia. On the other hand, both are more detailed than my (stock) HD-6xx.

I would say that the two are relatively close in the level of detail they produce, and any differences are either due to, or over-shadowed by, differences in tonality. Also, the differences between the headstages of the two sets are striking and more significant than differences in detail production.

BTW, all my impressions are based on stock pads on Utopia, HEKv2 and Ether 2, suede pads on Empy, and perforated Auteur pads.

Hope that helps -- sorry I can't be more exact.

Wildcatsare1 and xxx1313 like this.
  4. azeral
    Did we ever get the serials of the Empyreans which were claimed to be substantially different? They are printed above the right earcup as mentioned before.

I have to admit that I'm suspicious of this as a true quality control issue, and were I in Meze's shoes, I'd be pretty hesitant to pay for overseas shipping and engineering time to check out a unit that "sounds better" than another to some guy on the internet.

5. ken6217
    Let them get more than 10 hours on the headphones and close to two hundred hours that he has on the other ones before coming to any determination.

6. bimmer100
    I have two pairs of empyreans and had extensively tested them with a few different amps and can’t tell one sounds better than the other, but the easiest to test them with is the ifi pro Ican with the dual 3pin and single 4pin out. But had tried with hpa4 and azure and. But anyhow, with blind test I would t be able to tell them apart. But pad swaps are significant enough I could do a blind test and figure which is which pad.

That’s interesting.

The first thing I thought when I saw that amp with dual 1/4 output was if it had impedance difference for each output. As an older amp we sold had dual 1/4 and one was tuned for 300ohm impedance cans and the other was around 30-150ohm range. And if you listen to a pair of headphones in wrong output they sound bloated. But seems that amp has dual output and the same impedance? interesting. As all the other cans were tested too.

The more hours the empyreans have they do relax a bit in sound.

xxx1313 likes this.
  7. LeMat
    Thanks for these details! Really helpful.
    In the end, it seems we're almost splitting hairs when it comes to tonality or detail retrieval. A bit more here, a bit less there... It's like some EQing could bring those 2 cans to the same tonality, and only the soundstage would tell them apart... an improvement on soundstage worth 1k :) (beside design, quality and confort)
    Here is an interesting review on the Ether 2 that has just been published.

Quinto likes this.
  8. Currawong Contributor
    You'll always get some variation between pairs of the same headphones. This is far from anything new. Sennheiser, for example, used to measure each pair of HD800 headphones, and offer an FR chart for each individual pair. There is a thread somewhere where people were posting their charts. There was quite a bit of variance. Innerfidelity should still have Tyll's old measurements too, where he measured multiple pairs of a number of headphones.

adcustom likes this.
  9. ken6217
    Ah yes, the good ole days. Who could forget his debacle with the LCD-4 :)

adcustom and Currawong like this.
  10. MadDane
    I believe Audeze still includes a USB stick with each new headphone's sound signature.

Currawong and adcustom like this.
  11. CaptainFantastic
    A USB stick yes. But not with the sound signature. Not the MX4s and 2CB I bought in 2018.

12. popof94
    Sorry for the delay, see below the 2 serial numbers:
    F5D96DE2-00BE-49C5-9203-AB06C2CD3C69.jpeg 44C492CC-44C4-4C13-BA76-8A225561CDD0.jpeg
    For us the best one is the older with serial number 0867.

Édit: sorry, not the older. The 0867 is the more recent headphone.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Jwakeford likes this.
  13. azeral
    Interesting. They are cranking through these. For what it's worth, I've got #196 (from December of last year) and it sounds fantastic.

14. LCMusicLover
    Mine are 0205 -- shipped from Romania Feb 12.

Listening to Empy right now -- Afro-Celt Sound System are really well presented :)

15. Jwakeford

Thank god my unit was manufactured in June, and I am awaiting shipping, I am relieved I am not concerned by this plague !
    Even if my unit had been fine now I would be all worked up not knowing if my unit was to its best...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
First

Back
284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293
295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304
Next

Last