Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 12, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #3,751 of 13,029
When i got these headphones, I also ordered Woo Audio Headphone stand for it but somehow I never felt comfortable putting these on headphone stand and ended up creating a bed for it in a glass display case I got from Ikea, Please don't laugh at me :smile_phones:. That Woo Stand is now exclusive for my HD600 and 800s. Right now my Wife is away and I am not sure what her reaction will be when she comes back.

Need a picture of that beauty in the glass case please.

I rested mine in the Woo stand as well.

May 12, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #3,752 of 13,029
Hahaha.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm putting them back to bed in the attache case every evening.

I didn't baby the Utopias like this so not sure why. (maybe the plastic) I'm sure I'll grow out of it. I'm paranoid about knocking them off atm.

Qobuz looks promising. It's a bit rough around the edges technically at the moment, especially if you speak english.

Had some issues getting it working with Audirvana, but I realized the integration doesn't work until you get on a subscription not just the "free" account.

Guess I'll enjoy both over the next month. I didn't find either to be superior to the other right away. Prolly cause I'm using Audirvana and SoX "To DSD" mode on both. They both sound pretty great. If it gets different music in front of me, that's a success.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #3,753 of 13,029
@tradyblix

How is Empyrean with the TAZ? I've been meaning to get that for my all-in-one desktop solution.

LOVE the overall aesthetic of the unit itself.

May 12, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,754 of 13,029
@tradyblix

How is Empyrean with the TAZ? I've been meaning to get that for my all-in-one desktop solution.

LOVE the overall aesthetic of the unit itself.

I'm really enjoying it, I think they have a good synergy. Compared to the Sabre based, non FPGA dacs I've used in the past

it's a smoother, more refined, more musical, dare I say warmer, sound. It's precise without being analytical.

I don't find it to be overly warm with the Empyrean, but liquid, mellow, incisive, and delicate.

I really enjoy this amp's various options, as it displays well input and output formats and I can experiment with whether I like DSD oversampling in Audirvana,

or whether I like PCM oversampling in Audirvana and DSD remastering in the device, and what sound shaping on the DSEE side for strings,

percussion and female and male voices I want to employ on PCM signals. With great headphones, like these,

those subtle changes can make a real difference, especially for avoiding listening fatigue.

The option to emulate an analogue like amp sound vs solid state is cool too, I often alternate between on and off. Slightly more attack and solid stateness with it off,

smoother and deeper and more tubey with it on.

It's headamp's power may not be the most capable of amps out there, but on most every headphone I've no complaints. The LCD2 (2013) I used to own was the hardest

to drive, with that I was within 10 db of no headroom before I was at an enjoyable loudness level. I think LCD's have gotten more efficient since then tho. Utopia and this

are driven more easily with up to 15-20 dbs of room at high gain, and I listen loud.

It really has a great synergy with the Utopia and I'm finding that it is just as pleasant with the Empyrean as well.

And yes, it's build quality, output options, and simplicity are very attractive for a desk unit or work unit.

I'm a bit partial to Sony tho. The first device I used for music, that got me hooked, was a sony walkman. Back in their heyday :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3,755 of 13,029
Any comments/impressions on pairing the Empyrean with the Massdrop CTH or Carbon? Or any recommendations for a good pairing in that price range?

Looking for a neutral/clean but still musical amp with an XLR output, as I don't want to reduce or further the Empy's natural warmth. Later on will upgrade to something more TOTL but need some time for my funds to replenish first :L3000:

If you can get one, the THX AAA 789 is a nice match. I reckon you're cheaping it out quite a bit with a CTH. It'll drive them though.

Really? I cancelled my subscription last month it was driving me crazy, it does sound pretty clean but it's not right. It's like they mess with the presentation, instruments are slightly out of place. Yeah it's nit picky but it throws me off just enough that I can't enjoy.

The MQA masters are not masters at all, but have been messed with. If they aren't using an alternate master for the file, they are running it through a DSP.

MQA is something of a different beast, I will admit. But you arent using anything in your chain that can deal with it so you prolly cant hear that.

You're only missing a very short digital filter, which you can emulate in software. Otherwise, you're getting all the distortion added to it by their alterations.

More on topic, how do you feel the Empy sounds with the Hugo by itself ? I heard that is an analytical sounding DAC and wondering how it works with the warmer Empy ?

It's a nice match. It's a very precise DAC in the sense that you can very clearly make out the depth of the soundstage and the placement of instruments. It can be too much of a good thing for some people. The other, non-portable alternative is the iFi Pro iDSD which is more "musical", at the slight expense of the ultra detail the Hugo 2 can deliver. If you're listening to a less than great recording, you can always switch filters to one slightly more forgiving with the Hugo 2 though.

May 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #3,756 of 13,029
The MQA masters are not masters at all, but have been messed with. If they aren't using an alternate master for the file, they are running it through a DSP.
Amos are you able to elaborate on that?
Particularly on what that means for most of tidals masters, if that is the case, and what that means for masters v non masters of the same album?
Thanks

May 12, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #3,757 of 13,029
I don't want to derail the thread with the details. The best thing to do is to go to the General forum on Audiophile Style and read the (unfortunately rather large) MQA threads. There has been plenty of analysis of the actual tracks and the technical claims. One of them is here, but it's somewhat technical. Unfortunately a lot of the technical information is buried in multiple threads.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #3,758 of 13,029
I don't want to derail the thread with the details. The best thing to do is to go to the General forum on Audiophile Style and read the (unfortunately rather large) MQA threads. There has been plenty of analysis of the actual tracks and the technical claims. One of them is here, but it's somewhat technical. Unfortunately a lot of the technical information is buried in multiple threads.
No dramas

I’ll have look at that link and thread

Thanks

May 12, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #3,759 of 13,029
When i got these headphones, I also ordered Woo Audio Headphone stand for it but somehow I never felt comfortable putting these on headphone stand and ended up creating a bed for it in a glass display case I got from Ikea, Please don't laugh at me :smile_phones:. That Woo Stand is now exclusive for my HD600 and 800s. Right now my Wife is away and I am not sure what her reaction will be when she comes back.

So your wife’s away, and you made a bed for your headphones. Any dinner plans for you and Ms Empyrean too? :)

May 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,761 of 13,029
I know it might sound played out, but get some rose petals.
And please post a pix!

And of course she should be properly named....
The girl name Emperatriz is pronounced in Spanish as ehM-Peh-Raa-TRIY-TH or in Spanish-Latin American as ehM-Peh-Raa-TRIYS †. Emperatriz's language of origin is Latin. The name Emperatriz means 'empress'.

Or just plain Emma.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #3,762 of 13,029
And please post a pix!

And of course she should be properly named....
The girl name Emperatriz is pronounced in Spanish as ehM-Peh-Raa-TRIY-TH or in Spanish-Latin American as ehM-Peh-Raa-TRIYS †. Emperatriz's language of origin is Latin. The name Emperatriz means 'empress'.

Or just plain Emma.

We might have a new Meze model in nine months!

May 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #3,763 of 13,029
Any comments/impressions on pairing the Empyrean with the Massdrop CTH or Carbon? Or any recommendations for a good pairing in that price range?

Looking for a neutral/clean but still musical amp with an XLR output, as I don't want to reduce or further the Empy's natural warmth. Later on will upgrade to something more TOTL but need some time for my funds to replenish first :L3000:

It might be a bit of a stretch but the Cavalli liquid platinum is pretty good. I am enjoying it with the Abyss Diana Phi , clears, and LCD x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back