Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #3,721 of 12,999
Coming back to personal findings re. these undoubtedly top tier headphones, I would just like to confirm that after living with mine for a month or so, they have only continued to exceed my expectations more as each week has gone by... and with every single one of my favourite test pieces that I've heard literally hundreds of times while assessing each new tube that I've adapted for use in my Feliks-Audio 'Euforia' OTL amp. And although many may find such repetition 'boring', I believe this is the only way to really discern overall - and more subtle - elements of performance, once a certain level has been reached in one's system.

And so, in this regard, I can only say that in my system I find these Empys to be lacking in no area whatsoever. And, more so than I have ever experienced before, the all-encompassing 'feeling' is one of being immersed in sound as if cocooned in a world far removed from any external distraction...their open nature permitting, that is! Presentation is so smooth and with a 'warmth' that is much more enticing/detailed than the slightly negative/derogatory connotation that's sometimes attached to the term. These headphones can deliver both exquisite delicacy and thunderous dynamics when called for.

A quick photo of what I personally also regard as "a match made in Heaven" (in the words of one of Meze's guys) : ie. Euforia + Hugo2 as DAC + Empyrean.....

ps. Sorry if any find my post as objectionable 'flowery prose', but I personally believe these wonderful headphones deserving of occasional said prosaic praise lol! :wink:

It's hard not to praise these things man, I keep getting my mind blown and I still using low end amp/dac which I hope to fix tomorrow. You think after so many spins of your test tunes you had heard all these was but nope Empy shows you more.

The thing that blew my mind is one tune I love I did not play on headphones. There's a part when the metal guitars come in over the symphonic parts and it's just a distorted mess. I use to think is was the engineering of the album but the Emps said "No worries I got this" awesomeness man.

So praise away brother

May 10, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,722 of 12,999
It's hard not to praise these things man, I keep getting my mind blown and I still using low end amp/dac which I hope to fix tomorrow. You think after so many spins of your test tunes you had heard all these was but nope Empy shows you more.

The thing that blew my mind is one tune I love I did not play on headphones. There's a part when the metal guitars come in over the symphonic parts and it's just a distorted mess. I use to think is was the engineering of the album but the Emps said "No worries I got this" awesomeness man.

So praise away brother

Thanks for your encouraging words Bakath...glad you don't find my ramblings 'objectionable' lol! :smile_phones:

And yes, even after many, many past repetitions of my assessment tracks, these Empyreans make not only their own testing of same extremely enjoyable (phew!), but now that I can actually start proper listening/enjoyment - after what seems to be interminable years of mostly very close scrutiny/analysis/dissection, I feel I can at last rest at ease in this hobby of ours...(or could there be yet another 'Old Master' tube just waiting to be discovered?...or an affordable DAC to trounce the Hugo2?...or cable wire to best OhnoContinuousCast silver or silver/gold? ...No teasing, please! :wink: ).

ps. I too am constantly getting Empy's "No worries, I got this"!!...wonderful....

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #3,723 of 12,999
I think good headphones need good source. I got my digione signature player delivered few days back. Setup was a breeze.
This little powerhouse works as Roon end point and has airplay as well. I opted for Dietpi. This device can output digital audio via coax RCA and BNC. right now Qutest is connected thru BNC and Gumby thru RCA to BNC connector. I am using LIFEPO4 batteries to power the Digione HAT. I no longer have to worry about noisy USB.

6099E561-A63D-45BA-A82F-2325E1740159.jpeg 8A0B501A-91FD-4160-A68D-28B3CC256ABB.jpeg B3FD4E81-24B7-466E-8690-4EDEDB207FF6.jpeg 1FB57BF7-E50F-4F43-B04E-622053C3B045.jpeg 07B45901-BB16-4D4F-AD68-B83ECC8072DF.jpeg

May 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #3,724 of 12,999
Just checked out the Emps on a Macintosh MHA 150 oh my :) Also tried the Moon 230H but that place only had Tidal as an option for music so all I could hear was mush. I think I love the Mac but did not get to hear its use the USB DAC, anyone have one and how does the DAC do?

May 11, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #3,725 of 12,999
Just checked out the Emps on a Macintosh MHA 150 oh my :) Also tried the Moon 230H but that place only had Tidal as an option for music so all I could hear was mush. I think I love the Mac but did not get to hear its use the USB DAC, anyone have one and how does the DAC do?

Then it must have been the Moon. Tidal uncompressed sounds as good as FLAC files in any system I’ve owned.

May 11, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #3,726 of 12,999
Hah, there is no such thing as resting in this hobby. Nor should there be, always striving forward is good.

At least now I have enough experience to separate what is BS from what is valid when on forums :wink:

I have couple portable rigs, and one I use with my iems is using dragonfly red. That to me with empys didnt sound great, not enough power for these, so will use PHA-3 minimum in balanced mode with them when not using my desktop system. I assume the modern daps might fare a bit better but thought people might find that useful

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #3,727 of 12,999
Then it must have been the Moon. Tidal uncompressed sounds as good as FLAC files in any system I’ve owned.

Really? I cancelled my subscription last month it was driving me crazy, it does sound pretty clean but it's not right. It's like they mess with the presentation, instruments are slightly out of place. Yeah it's nit picky but it throws me off just enough that I can't enjoy.

May 11, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3,728 of 12,999
What do you use to stream music now then, spotify?

Tidal is THE choice for quality streaming atm. It has flacs, it has MQA, DAP players support it, software apps support it (roon, audirvana), it has good selection for wide music range and always is up.

Sounds good to me. Not using a streaming service is not an option for the way i listen in 2019 tho. Some people still listen to vinyl or CDs so.....

May 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #3,730 of 12,999
Qobuz is very good as well. Quite a bit of 24/96 music.

Just did A B testing between CD Tidal and Qobuz with with the Emps and the Macintosh 150. Tidal failed hard but Q held up nicely.

Also lucked out on my DAC shopping and found a Cord Hugo on consignment, snagged it for 800. Well I think I got lucky it is a 1 not a 2 but it sounds awesome with the Emps

May 11, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,731 of 12,999
Never had a problem with Tidal....

They stream FLAC. FLAC is a widely acceptable lossless format. Its not like they’re running it through their own filters or something.

MQA is something of a different beast, I will admit. But you arent using anything in your chain that can deal with it so you prolly cant hear that.

Whatever makes you happy at the end of the day tho.... :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back