Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 9, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #3,707 of 13,029
Any comments/impressions on pairing the Empyrean with the Massdrop CTH or Carbon? Or any recommendations for a good pairing in that price range?

Looking for a neutral/clean but still musical amp with an XLR output, as I don't want to reduce or further the Empy's natural warmth. Later on will upgrade to something more TOTL but need some time for my funds to replenish first :L3000:

May 9, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #3,708 of 13,029
I mean look at these badboys lol Screenshot_20190509-125410_Instagram.jpg

May 9, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,709 of 13,029
Any comments/impressions on pairing the Empyrean with the Massdrop CTH or Carbon? Or any recommendations for a good pairing in that price range?

Looking for a neutral/clean but still musical amp with an XLR output, as I don't want to reduce or further the Empy's natural warmth. Later on will upgrade to something more TOTL but need some time for my funds to replenish first :L3000:
I'll take a listen with my Carbon tonight. Don't have CTH, so can't help there.

My bias is to avoid more warmth, hence my preference for Bryston BHA-1/Empy vs Liquid Platinum/Empy. Also, prefer silver cable vs copper.

May 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #3,710 of 13,029

Empyrean works quite well with the CTH. I used it the other day with the little Massdrop SDAC and the combo was very impressive overall - CTH is neutral to slightly crisp/detailed in tonality (at least with the stock tube which I enjoy), so definitely not overdoing the warmth of the Empyrean.

May 9, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #3,713 of 13,029
Pete has the "Special Edition Bone Conduction Empyreans". Those are sitting so low; that they can take the pulse from your neck and send it to an app on your phone!
I have a giant head lol!

May 10, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #3,714 of 13,029
I didn't sell anything to buy anything else. I don't own either of them currently. I'm calling it how I see it from the outside. I no longer stand by Focal and it's products. I have my reasons for it. It's too risky knowing that any moment the driver can fail. I know anything can break but not at the percentage that the Utopia broke already. And, the headphone feels cheap to me. I don't care what any of you people say trying to defend that headphone/brand.

Cool. I figured you'd anchor on that. At least you honestly laid out your bias for all to see. Credit to you for that.

Congrats to new Empyrean club members and Enjoy !

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #3,715 of 13,029
@PeteSTRADAMUS I guess we should all strive to be professional and respectful. Calling something "pure garbage" is not respectful or mature. There are ways to state one's opinion without going so low; it just results in hurt feelings and endless arguments.

It's not just that. It's wrong. And people should not be afraid to say it's wrong. Just my opinion. The Utopia is in no way "Pure Garbage". It's a headphone that gives the Empyrean a real complement in actual fact for a different presentation style.

There are moments that both headphones have brought to me in the same music, but in different ways. Who would not want to celebrate that ?

This is not the Utopia thread tho. Let's all table it and continue on, respectfully.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #3,717 of 13,029
You just refuse to quit. it has metal in the outside grill. The rest is plastic besides the Beryllium. I owned them. I know what I'm talking about. The design is pure garbage and people started selling them off. It's a high percentage of driver failure. That's why they gave out the 5-year warranty. The freaking letters fall off the cups haha.

I do not own the Empyrean, but come here to read comments about them because I could be interested, read stuff like this and think...well you know....I won't believe much that I read.

May 10, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #3,718 of 13,029
I do not own the Empyrean, but come here to read comments about them because I could be interested, read stuff like this and think...well you know....I won't believe much that I read.

I find that if I read a lot of opinions about gear, the body of opinions gives me an idea of what I might personally like. But it’s true that we have to take all opinions with a grain of salt, since they involve an element of subjective perception which can differ among people, differ within a person over time, and be highly influenced by experiences and expectations (including expectations created by what we write and read in these forums). Buyer beware!

May 10, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #3,719 of 13,029
lets not derail Empyrean thread with discussion on Utopia's design.
Those who are interested in discussing Utopia can go that thread.

May 10, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #3,720 of 13,029
Coming back to personal findings re. these undoubtedly top tier headphones, I would just like to confirm that after living with mine for a month or so, they have only continued to exceed my expectations more as each week has gone by... and with every single one of my favourite test pieces that I've heard literally hundreds of times while assessing each new tube that I've adapted for use in my Feliks-Audio 'Euforia' OTL amp. And although many may find such repetition 'boring', I believe this is the only way to really discern overall - and more subtle - elements of performance, once a certain level has been reached in one's system.

And so, in this regard, I can only say that in my system I find these Empys to be lacking in no area whatsoever. And, more so than I have ever experienced before, the all-encompassing 'feeling' is one of being immersed in sound as if cocooned in a world far removed from any external distraction...their open nature permitting, that is! Presentation is so smooth and with a 'warmth' that is much more enticing/detailed than the slightly negative/derogatory connotation that's sometimes attached to the term. These headphones can deliver both exquisite delicacy and thunderous dynamics when called for.

A quick photo of what I personally also regard as "a match made in Heaven" (in the words of one of Meze's guys) : ie. Euforia + Hugo2 as DAC + Empyrean.....

DSC_0024 (2).JPG

ps. Sorry if any find my post as objectionable 'flowery prose', but I personally believe these wonderful headphones to be deserving of occasional said prosaic praise lol! :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back