Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,062 of 12,974
Ive had my Empyrean headphones for the best part of a week now. Ive probably clocked about 12-15 hours on them and the rest of the time they have been left on to run in.

There are a couple of things I feel I can say confidently about them now. Out of source which is the SP1000SS I absolutely prefer the pleather/leather pad option. Maybe its synergy, maybe its my hearing but to me this option is cleaner/clearer than the Alacantra/velour pads. Imaqing is better and details show through that bit more for me. I don't think the Alacantra pads will be getting much use unless my system changes in some way. My other observation is about the 3 metre SE cable that was included in the box. Its stiff, really stiff and to me it just does not feel premium when compared the cable that was included in the box with my LCD4Z. Luckily the previous owner also included a 2.5 balanced 1.2metre length aftermarket cable with the sale. I don't believe its anything exotic, otherwise im sure he would have said so but the difference in sound is very noticeable going balanced vs unbalanced. I find the stock cable out of the 3.5 makes the headphone sound slightly duller/darker whilst the balanced 2.5 cable makes the Empyrean more engaging, fuller sounding if you will. I also tried the 2.5 balanced with a 3.5 adapter out of the 3.5 jack and again it was clearly better than the stock IMHO.

Im listening at 85 vol in balanced vs 100 in SE to get roughly the same volume level

From my relatively short time of ownership I also confident enough to say that I believe the Empyrean is the type of headphone that will sound good out of pretty much anything but with careful equipment choices im also willing to bet it would have the ability to sound phenomenal.

How do you like the empyrean compared with the LCD 4z? How would you say they differ? I have the 4z and really like them I listen to them out of the sp1000cu until my tt2 ships. I have only listened out of the se and listen around 80-90 on the volume.

I will have a chance to compare them at a meet in 2 weeks. I am always interested in how others compare the two.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3,063 of 12,974
How do you like the empyrean compared with the LCD 4z? How would you say they differ? I have the 4z and really like them I listen to them out of the sp1000cu until my tt2 ships. I have only listened out of the se and listen around 80-90 on the volume.

I will have a chance to compare them at a meet in 2 weeks. I am always interested in how others compare the two.

With the 4Z using SE on the SP000SS I use the same range as you 80-90. Its quite rare I come across a recording that requires me to go higher.

The differences I hear is that I find the 4Z to be overall slightly fuller sounding across the entire frequency range. I think detail retrieval is about on par but I think the 4Z is slightly more forward in its presentation and as a result this leaves you with impression it has more resolution but in reality they are more equally matched than the first listen of the Empyrean would have you believe. The Empyrean has a slightly larger/wider soundstage and has slightly more air but again this is very marginal to my ears. I would class both HP's as slightly warm of neutral without any hint of harshness or sibilance.
Bottom line is that I'm really enjoying both HP's. If I had to let one go, right here, right now it would be a really tough decision to have to make but back against the wall I would keep the 4Z

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #3,065 of 12,974
I have had the Empyreans for a couple of weeks now and I think I have decided upon the leather pads as the vocals sound more prominent. The bass is really slamming so songs with repeated fast bass drum kicks sound phenomenal, almost hit as hard as the real thing, the bass just feels so hefty I love it!

The treble and mids are nicely detailed and never harsh but at the same time I never feel I am missing any of the detail which is perfect for my preference.

The sound stage is nice and wide, you really get that out of head feeling with well recorded tracks, certainly far better than the Ether Flows I had before hand, it is very easy to pick out each instrument as well if there is something specific you want to listen to in a particular song.

Interestingly the FR seems very similar my K10 CIEMs which I also love and similar to my Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II setup. I guess I like bass lol...

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,066 of 12,974
I have had the Empyreans for a couple of weeks now and I think I have decided upon the leather pads as the vocals sound more prominent. The bass is really slamming so songs with repeated fast bass drum kicks sound phenomenal, almost hit as hard as the real thing, the bass just feels so hefty I love it!

The treble and mids are nicely detailed and never harsh but at the same time I never feel I am missing any of the detail which is perfect for my preference.

The sound stage is nice and wide, you really get that out of head feeling with well recorded tracks, certainly far better than the Ether Flows I had before hand, it is very easy to pick out each instrument as well if there is something specific you want to listen to in a particular song.

Interestingly the FR seems very similar my K10 CIEMs which I also love and similar to my Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II setup. I guess I like bass lol...
Well I just received these from Meze today and only after an hour or so, what you describe (not comparing to any other headphone) is basically what I'm hearing at this point. This is one fine, smooth, beautiful sounding headphone. Very organic, warm but not dark by any means, very nice bass that hits pretty hard, mids are spot on perfect with beautiful highs that don't come close to approaching sibilant. It's very detailed, spacious, "sweet", nice resolution with everything being positioned perfectly in all frequencies.

I'm listening to some Dream Theater at present and they've never sounded better. Some of their recordings don't sound that great so I can already tell these are quite forgiving. I should mention I'm running these through a
Gumby Gen5/MJ2 with a 1950's ecc81 Philip's Miniwatt. They're blowing me away as I type as I believe I have found my endgame.
I'll probably write my first full fledged review on this site right before I send them back or to the next lucky listener.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #3,067 of 12,974
With the 4Z using SE on the SP000SS I use the same range as you 80-90. Its quite rare I come across a recording that requires me to go higher.

The differences I hear is that I find the 4Z to be overall slightly fuller sounding across the entire frequency range. I think detail retrieval is about on par but I think the 4Z is slightly more forward in its presentation and as a result this leaves you with impression it has more resolution but in reality they are more equally matched than the first listen of the Empyrean would have you believe. The Empyrean has a slightly larger/wider soundstage and has slightly more air but again this is very marginal to my ears. I would class both HP's as slightly warm of neutral without any hint of harshness or sibilance.
Bottom line is that I'm really enjoying both HP's. If I had to let one go, right here, right now it would be a really tough decision to have to make but back against the wall I would keep the 4Z

To my ears, the lcd4z was superior in the stock form except its heavy weight. With either Reveal or Sonarworks plug-in, the lcd4z would be even better.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,068 of 12,974
Mar 13, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #3,069 of 12,974
I'm running these through a
Gumby Gen5/MJ2 with a 1950's ecc81 Philip's Miniwatt.

Almost the exact same setup as me other than I am using iFi 6922 NOS tubes, although I do have a set of Miniwatt in the draw!

I love a bit of Dream Theater as well and I agree that they sounds pretty great with the Empyrean, it is really the kind of sound presentation that you can just lay back and chill too.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,070 of 12,974
Empyrean received -- burning in (on my head right now) driven by my Cowon Plenue 2 with volume @ 100/140 from balanced output via Lavricables silver cable.

Initial impressions are...useless, since my work environment is too noisy :)

I will say that the Ether 2 vs Empyrean battle should be quite interesting.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #3,071 of 12,974
Empyrean received -- burning in (on my head right now) driven by my Cowon Plenue 2 with volume @ 100/140 from balanced output via Lavricables silver cable.

Initial impressions are...useless, since my work environment is too noisy :)

I will say that the Ether 2 vs Empyrean battle should be quite interesting.
Couldn't resist having a listen when I got home last night -- I'm liking what I hear so far. Still feeling that the E2 vs Empy shoot-out will be hotly contested, probably with no clear winner.

Empy are home burning in all day and night, today and tomorrow. By the weekend I'll have more than 50 hours on them so they should be burned-in enough to begin forming impressions. Since my rig includes 2 different amps, I can burn in the Empy on my Bryston and listen to other cans via my LP.

The un-boxing experience was great. Travel case is quite nice, and initial visual impact was stunning. I mean I've seen lots of pictures, but...

Pad swapping is soooo easy!

I didn't do any comparative listening, just swapped pads back and forth to try it out.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #3,072 of 12,974
Couldn't resist having a listen when I got home last night -- I'm liking what I hear so far. Still feeling that the E2 vs Empy shoot-out will be hotly contested, probably with no clear winner.

Empy are home burning in all day and night, today and tomorrow. By the weekend I'll have more than 50 hours on them so they should be burned-in enough to begin forming impressions. Since my rig includes 2 different amps, I can burn in the Empy on my Bryston and listen to other cans via my LP.

The un-boxing experience was great. Travel case is quite nice, and initial visual impact was stunning. I mean I've seen lots of pictures, but...

Pad swapping is soooo easy!

I didn't do any comparative listening, just swapped pads back and forth to try it out.
That’s good you have 2 amp. I do have Valhalla 2 but I’m mostly using it with LP or Mojo.
It sounds very good with either however with LP there is just too much gain as this is very sensitive HP.
I hope you have good preamp. I have to rely on Schiit Sys to attenuate a bit. Also I have started using Mojo as DAC and have to go below 2V out to reduce gain of LP

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #3,074 of 12,974
That’s good you have 2 amp. I do have Valhalla 2 but I’m mostly using it with LP or Mojo.
It sounds very good with either however with LP there is just too much gain as this is very sensitive HP.
I hope you have good preamp. I have to rely on Schiit Sys to attenuate a bit. Also I have started using Mojo as DAC and have to go below 2V out to reduce gain of LP
Actually, my big gain problem was LP ==> Utopia. Close to unusable between channel imbalance at low volume pot setting and very sensitive cans not needing much power.

I have an Emotiva XSP-1 active preamp which I have used for over a year. But with LP, I noticed some coloration that I didn't like. (Never noticed when driving my SS Bryston amp.) I actually took the Emotiva out my chain, driving the LP direct from my Pontus DAC, despite the gain issues. Now I've got a Hattor mini passive preamp, and I'm quite pleased with the results. The Hattor seems really transparent -- I can't hear it at all.

As a result, I run the LP with the volume set to 12:00 o'clock, and attenuate 30 - 40 dB (depending on which cans I'm using) via the preamp.

Silly expense, but I'll recoup most of it when I sell my Emotiva. Actually, the Emotiva is packed with features I mostly don't use.

Hattor is quite minimal, 3 inputs, 2 outputs, balance and gain adjustments. Very solidly built, with a nice remote in a solid metal case vs the typical cr@ppy plastic $hit. (Emotiva remote is also metal & very solid).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #3,075 of 12,974
I'm very surprised to see that there is no entry for Empyrean in the showcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back