Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #286 of 13,037
Once again, I appreciate your feedback. Yes, in a perfect world, I’d be able to have both the Empyrean and D8000 side by side and just choose which one I liked more. But unfortunately, The Empyrean isn’t for sale yet. And in terms of new technology, I’m more impressed with the design of the D8000. Of course I’m talking about the internals, not the outside. The Empyrean is clearly the more sexy of the two aesthetically. But we’re comparing a brand new damping system that gives total control of driver flexion in the D8000 vs just two different trace patterns in the Empyrean. At the end of the day, the Empyrean (and all other open back planars for that matter) still have to deal with low bass distortion because the driver will strike the magnets, or else they have to tune their headphones with that typical dramatic low bass roll off below 40 HZ to prevent too much amplitude modulation.
For those reasons, I am extremely interested in the D8000, but I have one huge problem. I’ve never heard them!

I am impressed as well. I will look forward to hearing your impressions soon.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #287 of 13,037
I am impressed as well. I will look forward to hearing your impressions soon.

If there is no shipping delay, my D8000 should be here tomorrow. I will post some pics when they do arrive. Since this is the Empyrean thread, I’ll be posting them in the Final D8000 thread.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #288 of 13,037
Hi, guys!

You probably saw this video posted a few days ago by MajorHiFi, but we wanted to post it here too, just in case.
We think it answers a lot of questions like "What makes Empyrean so special?" and "What isodynamic hybrid array means". We think Pavlo Shymanovych (founder of Rinaro Isodynamics) and Antonio Meze (lead designer and founder of Meze Audio) say it better while holding the Empyrean in their hands.

Let us know if there's anything else you need to know!
:metal:

Meze Audio team

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #289 of 13,037
@MezeTeam First of all, it's incredibly entertaining and interesting to hear the description from the two main persons behind the project and not from a salesman, it just inspires confidence and makes everything easier to understand, bravo!

There're two things that I would like to know about this extremely interesting headphone, I know that is scheduled for May 2018 and as with any product, some aspects of the product might change due to design refinement or production demands, but I would greatly appreciate if you could give me at least a rough idea of this:

- While I didn't like the bronze and black color scheme (in pictures, I've never seen the headphone in person), I'm starting to like it more. However, there're pictures of an stunning looking (it's just beautiful and classy) silver Empyrean (the one that Antonio is holding in the video, which, as it doesn't have the Meze logo, I assume it's an "unpainted" headphone)...do you plan to offer an all silver version (or all black, which would look amazing) of this headphone apart from the bronze/black?

- Can you, please, say the impedance and sensitivity of Empyrean?

PS: btw, this is just awesome :wink:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeltW2fB9hG/?taken-by=antonio_meze

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #292 of 13,037
Yes, I can see the beauty in that soundgraph! Just as important, I could easily hear the beauty in it...

These headphones looked & sounded stunning at CanJam. IMO they are the single most interesting new HP design out there at this time (w/Final H8000 & ZMF Auteur close behind).

Plus it's so nice to see new scientific/technical development in planar drivers. As many of us have found out, planars do certain things that dynamics just can't seem to match.

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #293 of 13,037
Have the good fortune to try this in Canjam SG and it’s really a transparent phone that is responsive to upstream changes.

It was hooked up to the cayin amp and dac during the show which make it a little too bright for my taste, but once I change to mojo, gosh, the sound turn warmer without losing any of the resolution. And it probably is the most comfortable headphone I had tried which is fantastic for long hours listening. Just wish that it’s a little more wallet friendly.... sigh..

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #294 of 13,037
Have the good fortune to try this in Canjam SG and it’s really a transparent phone that is responsive to upstream changes.

It was hooked up to the cayin amp and dac during the show which make it a little too bright for my taste, but once I change to mojo, gosh, the sound turn warmer without losing any of the resolution. And it probably is the most comfortable headphone I had tried which is fantastic for long hours listening. Just wish that it’s a little more wallet friendly.... sigh..

Are you able to give any more impressions? How was the balance amongst the frequencies from bass, mids, highs? Did it have a large soundstage?

Saying “bright” without reference doesn’t mean anything. What do you consider a “bright” headphone? Sennheiser 800/800S, any Grado, or any Beyerdynamic for example. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #295 of 13,037
Boys and girls,
we had a blast at #CanJamSingapore and are now getting ready for Taiwan Kaohsiung High-End Audio Show.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to our Empyrean. We hope you had fun as well.
Share your Empyrean impressions/photos with us and the community!

Cheers!
Meze Audio team

Attachments

• Empyrean at CanJam Singapore 2018.jpg
    Empyrean at CanJam Singapore 2018.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #296 of 13,037
C7B1DEFA-3D4C-4433-B2CB-1A9E189B0A1F.jpeg
Are you able to give any more impressions? How was the balance amongst the frequencies from bass, mids, highs? Did it have a large soundstage?

Saying “bright” without reference doesn’t mean anything. What do you consider a “bright” headphone? Sennheiser 800/800S, any Grado, or any Beyerdynamic for example. Thanks!

I think you are mistaken, I am not saying it’s a bright headphone, i am saying it’s a transparent headphone that is responsive to your source. Like I mention in my post, when I switch over to mojo it immediately turns warmer. To my ears, Senns HD800 is a bright headphone becoz no matter what you use upstream, you can only tame its treble glare but it will never lose it’s sound signature. For comparison, I using hd800, hd650 and hifiman edition x at home with questyle cma600i.

I can’t say a lot on Empyrean other sound signature as I test it during show conditions.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #297 of 13,037
Hi All, newbie here. Just wish to share some of my thoughts regarding this headphones during Canjam Singapore 2018. Meze was my 1st stop.
1. This and the Final Audio D8000 was on my radar. Sadly not due to my financial ability but more on my curiosity. Both are great end game headphones. But if I have to choose, the Empyrean will be my choice. Due to my inexperience I cannot describe the SQ accurately. What I heard was IMHO, way better than my own LCD2C, or other cans that I have auditioned. They are very comfortable. Looks extremely beautiful. If there is such thing as love at 1st sight, that was my moment in audio world.

2. It is my 1st time to meet the creators of such a beautiful headphones (or any headphones). Pavlo was the most friendly and approachable rep among the exhibitors. He was very enthusiastic and genuinely sincere with everything he said. Unforgettable moment for me. Wish him and Antonio all the best and to keep up the good work in bringing more quality products in the future.

3. Now the bad. Not happy with the Empyrean being a limited edition and with that price. This will be out of reach of many people. Sadly being a limited edition, not many will be able to hear and experience the bliss I heard and felt that day. Please try it out if you are able to. This is a masterpiece borne out of love by their creators.

Regards,
Melvin

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #298 of 13,037

I think you are mistaken, I am not saying it’s a bright headphone, i am saying it’s a transparent headphone that is responsive to your source. Like I mention in my post, when I switch over to mojo it immediately turns warmer. To my ears, Senns HD800 is a bright headphone becoz no matter what you use upstream, you can only tame its treble glare but it will never lose it’s sound signature. For comparison, I using hd800, hd650 and hifiman edition x at home with questyle cma600i.

I can’t say a lot on Empyrean other sound signature as I test it during show conditions.

I think this gold-on-black is a new color I didn't see at CanJam.

The Empyrean is just about the most visually compelling design I've ever seen in headphones (& there are some nice ones out there). The grillwork is pure art.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #299 of 13,037
Hi All, newbie here. Just wish to share some of my thoughts regarding this headphones during Canjam Singapore 2018. Meze was my 1st stop.
1. This and the Final Audio D8000 was on my radar. Sadly not due to my financial ability but more on my curiosity. Both are great end game headphones. But if I have to choose, the Empyrean will be my choice. Due to my inexperience I cannot describe the SQ accurately. What I heard was IMHO, way better than my own LCD2C, or other cans that I have auditioned. They are very comfortable. Looks extremely beautiful. If there is such thing as love at 1st sight, that was my moment in audio world.

2. It is my 1st time to meet the creators of such a beautiful headphones (or any headphones). Pavlo was the most friendly and approachable rep among the exhibitors. He was very enthusiastic and genuinely sincere with everything he said. Unforgettable moment for me. Wish him and Antonio all the best and to keep up the good work in bringing more quality products in the future.

3. Now the bad. Not happy with the Empyrean being a limited edition and with that price. This will be out of reach of many people. Sadly being a limited edition, not many will be able to hear and experience the bliss I heard and felt that day. Please try it out if you are able to. This is a masterpiece borne out of love by their creators.

Regards,
Melvin
In regards to your number 3-

I was told at CanJam NY 2017 at the Meze booth that they had a big headphone in the works but they were unsure of selling it or not. They said something to the effect of "We just want to show what we are capable of..." I didn't press him on more details (since he was nice enough to share that) but after that interaction I was waiting patiently to hear more about "that" headphone. I have to believe now that the Empyrean has to be what he was talking about. This headphone to me easily seems like a statement piece for them, like what was mentioned in NY.

For it to be a limited run and also the price connected to it I am not surprised. Do I want it to be affordable for my self and still keep the same technology and R&D? DUH!!! haha.

I like the fact they they are making a dream of theirs come to fruition, and also to be able to sell it to the select few that appreciate it its sound. Also- who knows but hopefully we can get some sort of trickle down effect of the technology into more Meze cans!

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #300 of 13,037

Regards,
Melvin

Did they say anything about their launch date? Is it still May?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back