Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #184 of 12,974
Haven't visited that link yet. But the Auteur is definitely a dynamic, not a planar. Listened to 2 pairs of Auteurs yesterday...

I listened to like 4 LOL. Had to try them at every booth I saw them at as I was seriously considering buying them. Only reason I didn't was cause Zach said they didn't have any to sell on saturday

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #185 of 12,974
Yea, it's nothing terrible and I'm feeling it's more of an attribute to it's warmth. Not to take away from the aeon since I do believe they are wonderuful

Yesterday I heard the AFO at least 3 times in different booths (3rd and longest time @Schiit). Also had the chance to compared AFO to AFC.

This is all personal and subjective...but my reaction was:
  • AFO is definitely a contender in the upper mid-level. There's a like to like about its comfort & sound.
  • It does have somewhat of a veil, also not the best soundstaging around. But you could say the same about the HD650, and that design gets great respect. IMO it's how the headphone conveys music--how it makes you feel, listening to music (not headphone minutiae). AFO passes that test quite nicely...music sounds & feels very good on it.
  • AFC? Not so much. I found it to be more closed in, less sense of space (naturally--it's not open). And weirdly, I didn't feel its bass was quite as good as the AFO's, which is counterintuitive.

Like the AFO a lot. But it's not in the same sphere as Empyrean. There's just more there in the Empyrean (as there should be at 4X the price).

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #187 of 12,974
So I fudged up and didn’t get a chance to hear them again. :frowning2:. I walked in to listen but ended up having a very nice conversation with a fellow headfi’r in the Meze room. Anotnio Meze was in the middle of an interview so we left the room to talk more. I totally forgot to go back ha. I feel like that conversation with that person was more important.

I’m sorry I don’t have more to contribute on this. I DO really want to hear a final tuning of it. Hopefully I’ll get the chance some time.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #188 of 12,974
So I fudged up and didn’t get a chance to hear them again. :frowning2:. I walked in to listen but ended up having a very nice conversation with a fellow headfi’r in the Meze room. Anotnio Meze was in the middle of an interview so we left the room to talk more. I totally forgot to go back ha. I feel like that conversation with that person was more important.

I’m sorry I don’t have more to contribute on this. I DO really want to hear a final tuning of it. Hopefully I’ll get the chance some time.
If they had units for sale, I would have left the show with one of the ones with pads that fit properly around the ears. I really liked these. Though a quieter environment would have been better to really hear if the detail level was up to snuff for me or not.

Also idk if you spoke to him again but after @Faucet_Evangelist and I spoke to you when he said he hated them he tried the ones with pads that actually fit and liked it a lot more haha. The on ear type pads killed a lot of the bass, and something was wonk with the set up immediately on the right when you walk in vs the much better tube set up in the back.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #189 of 12,974
Also idk if you spoke to him again but after @Faucet_Evangelist and I spoke to you when he said he hated them he tried the ones with pads that actually fit and liked it a lot more haha. The on ear type pads killed a lot of the bass, and something was wonk with the set up immediately on the right when you walk in vs the much better tube set up in the back.

I'm not convinced that the first setup I tried wasn't broken. I mean, they swapped that amp by the time we came back, so clearly something was up. But yeah, when it was working properly I was definitely impressed.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #190 of 12,974
I'm in Australia, but from what I read here it looks like a miss opportunity for me, the price is hard to swallow and the sound quality is not up there with the price.

On the technical side, looks like the unique design / technology that they are using for this headphone probably has not matured yet, hence the sound quality is not optimal.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #191 of 12,974
The headphone look great and the sound d signature is something I would enjoy. Lets hope the research on this trickle down onto a new design inspirer by this new driver approach.

I myself looking forward to their upcoming iem.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #194 of 12,974
Aici nu sunt de acord, produsele facute in Romania tind sa fie exportate, dar ca si calitate pura, de obicei eu zic ca avem produse de buna calitate :darthsmile:

Cu atat mai mult cu cat Meze au experienta foarte buna in Casti si au expertiza calumea + unul dintre cele mai precise instrumente de masurare din lume pentru a putea face un tuning eficient la Meze Empyrean.

Sa nu mai zicem cate componente de masina sunt produse in Romania, eu zic ca suntem printre cei mai buni si ar trebui sa fim mandrii de tara noastra.
But the manufacturers that make stuff in Romania tend to be of foreign origin, so the factories produce stuff according to foreign standards. We don't actually really make stuff ourselves.

Meze is a very new company compared to most other audio companies. The products they initially launched with were not very impressive and seemed to be rip-offs of some other Chinese headphones. The subsequent products were better (I own a pair of their IEMs which are OK) but with fashion cans most of the time you are paying for the design of the headphone rather than the [arguably] more important aspect which is the sound.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #195 of 12,974
But the manufacturers that make stuff in Romania tend to be of foreign origin, so the factories produce stuff according to foreign standards. We don't actually really make stuff ourselves.

Meze is a very new company compared to most other audio companies. The products they initially launched with were not very impressive and seemed to be rip-offs of some other Chinese headphones. The subsequent products were better (I own a pair of their IEMs which are OK) but with fashion cans most of the time you are paying for the design of the headphone rather than the [arguably] more important aspect which is the sound.

Welp, a properly EQ'ed 99C surpasses the state of being a fashion headphone to my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back