Meze Empyrean dead driver after 1 year
Aug 26, 2020 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TomTauro

New Head-Fier
Meze Empyrean dead driver, after 1 year, in the middle of a listening sessions the left driver died out of the blue. Cables, another source tried, nope. :frowning2: Have had to send back the factory to Romania. Now I am waiting and hoping...Very disappointing from a high priced product. Anybody here with similar troubles with the Meze Empyrean???

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 18
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 18
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 18
Sep 14, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Is this the first accounted for driver failure?
I no longer have an empyrean so do not follow the emoyrean thread but I still have not read of one failure

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 18
I no longer have an empyrean so do not follow the emoyrean thread but I still have not read of one failure
Rare??? Not that rare. I had a driver die after 12 months. Headphones sent to Romania where they said they replaced both drivers. A further 12 months on and a second driver has just died. So did they replace both drivers or is this "the other one"that has failed this time? No way to tell. I usually use the headphones with the mini XLRs facing forward and it's the LH one which has failed both times. These headphones left the factory in August 2020. Was this Covid related QA?

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 18
Mines still good after 4 years. Can it make it past a Utopia ? (5.5 years)

Headphones change all the time, there are new, better headphones,

So I say re-up. Part of the hobby. It's good, it provides for a renewal mechanism.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 18
That's crap, when you spend so much on a product like that you expect reliability to come with it and a year is anything but.

Hopefully just a fluke that could happen with anything.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 18
That's crap, when you spend so much on a product like that you expect reliability to come with it and a year is anything but.

Hopefully just a fluke that could happen with anything.
Well, I agree, but Focal apparently doesn't mainly because I didn't pay full retail at an "Authorized Dealer". They don't wanna help grey market folks.

Now I bought straight from Meze at full retail, which will be the last time I do that, and we'll see how they go, but you only have a limited warranty on these things and 5 years is past most warranties.

Hifiman apparently has a good rep for replacing their gear, probably because the markup is so high lol.

How long do you expect headphones with moving parts (voice coil, "nano-scale" diaphragms, etc) to last for ? They are going to have a finite lifetime. Even my 2012 and 2016 OLED TVs have burn in issues.

Do not fool yourself that this hobby is an "investment" in any way, shape or form. It's luxury spending.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 18
I mean headphones like HD600 made of plastic and costing 300 dollars can last very long time - decades for some folks. That headphone has replaceable parts too like the head pad. I just expect something that is more than 10X as expensive to have the premium build quality behind it as well...

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 18
I mean headphones like HD600 made of plastic and costing 300 dollars can last very long time - decades for some folks. That headphone has replaceable parts too like the head pad. I just expect something that is more than 10X as expensive to have the premium build quality behind it as well...
Yeah, I have an HD600. No self respecting audiophile would be without one. It was really nice, for it's time. I wish we'd gotten a real successor to it but I don't think HD700 or HD660 S is it.

I can still listen to minimal songs with lush vocals on it and it's sublime balanced. But its soundstage is intimate, and it's just not detailed enough once you had a little of that sugar.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Meze Empyrean dead driver, after 1 year, in the middle of a listening sessions the left driver died out of the blue. Cables, another source tried, nope. :frowning2: Have had to send back the factory to Romania. Now I am waiting and hoping...Very disappointing from a high priced product. Anybody here with similar troubles with the Meze Empyrean???

What source are you using?

In speakers, the most common cause of failure is due to clipping from underpowered amps.

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 18
What source are you using?

In speakers, the most common cause of failure is due to clipping from underpowered amps.
That did occur to me as I have an identical problem to TomTauro and coincidentally the left hand driver. Running a Burson Soloist 3XP and the Meze usually run OK with the amp on Medium setting. Generally running on the High setting often makes them uncomfortably loud even when the volume is approaching zero. Some reviewers are running the same amp with the Empyreans. You'd think they'd know the score.

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 18
That did occur to me as I have an identical problem to TomTauro and coincidentally the left hand driver. Running a Burson Soloist 3XP and the Meze usually run OK with the amp on Medium setting. Generally running on the High setting often makes them uncomfortably loud even when the volume is approaching zero. Some reviewers are running the same amp with the Empyreans. You'd think they'd know the score.

Yeah I doubt it's the amp in this case, likely just a random failure. Meze are a great company and no doubt will stand by their products and sort this issue for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back