Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 20, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #271 of 1,495
IMG_20211120_095240.jpg

image.jpg

I like this extra protection with the thin film mesh.
@Andykong Any idea why there isn't one in the Elite/Empyrean?

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #272 of 1,495
IMG_20211120_095240.jpg
image.jpg
I like this extra protection with the thin film mesh.
@Andykong Any idea why there isn't one in the Elite/Empyrean?

The Elite/Empyrean have metal mesh integrated into the pads that protects the driver rather than fabric. I can see fabric being better for fine particles and also comfort for those with wide ears but I was impressed with the quality of the Elite pads.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #274 of 1,495
I hurry back home right after lunch to try my newly arrived liric. the soundstage indeed is wide for a closed back and its bass presence is relatively less than the empyrean. my empyrean is running from xlr out of topping a90, with vol at about 10 o'clock position only (low gain). with the liric, even they have same sensitivity rating, likely due to the 3.5mm SE out with 3db less output, i need to dial up the vol to 11 o'clock position to get similar SPL.

the liric is enjoyable and dynamic. the soundstage is wider than the utopia and stellia. but the focal duo are much more energetic which may appeal to listeners value dynamic. the DCA stealth sounds much darker with very typical DCA house sound. if not insist in pursuing the best technicality, i don't think it's worthy to go for the stealth. in fact, my empyrean (2nd hand) and liric (new) combined cost me about the same as the stealth (new). closed back cans have their use case yet it's highly unlikely that people will use liric on the street with portable gear. for listening at home where noise isolation is not in very high demand, i think empyrean will be better in most aspects. not just for the sound quality, the exquisite grille, the carbon fibre yoke, genuine leather pads, the golden look diaphragm and the impressive metal briefcase all are better than the liric, for just a small price gap!

with my liric put on. i can still clearly hear my computer's youtube video streaming if i dont mute it. if noise isolation is very important like listening during flight, i'll rather turn to sony or bose's excellent anc headphones or tws. or during daily commuting in the city, I'll likely use anc tws earbuds or my M15 - VE8 or just ear setup. the CM iem in fact block out noise much better than the closed back cans.

Attachments

• 20211120_172844.jpg
    20211120_172844.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #275 of 1,495
Incisive, balanced, and lucid impressions, as ever! Glad you got to demo the Liric and glad you like them. I also agree with your account of the Stealth - they show you the ingredients of the music in a neutral way but fail to produce any sense of musical pleasure when doing so.
Thanks, my friend.

I'm sufficiently impressed with the LIRIC; I might go for another audition on Monday. However, as it stands, this looks like a close contender for my next purchase. Its signature has a good balance between the aspects of musicality and technicality; this is probably what I seek most in a headphone - something that provides good detail without sacrificing the all-important "fun" component. The LIRIC does this well, IMO. :)

Sadly (or thankfully), the same could not be said of the Stealth. It's very detailed for a closed can, no doubt, but it just didn't sound inviting or engaging. As you've succinctly summarized, they show you everything - clearly - but you don't derive sufficient enjoyment from the sum of its parts.

@Malevolent
Do you still have the Klipsch Heritage HP-3? I am curious how the Liric does sound compared to HP-3.
I'd like to have different headphones with different soun signatures.
Yes, I still have the Heritage HP-3 - it remains one of the prettiest headphones on the market. :)

The Klipsch has a heavier mid-bass boost, slightly poorer technicalities (detail, clarity), and is a lot brighter and peakier than the LIRIC. The HP-3 has a "v-shaped" signature, whilst the LIRIC tends to be more balanced in its overall sound. The HP-3 has greater energy and excitement at the expense of a loss in linearity and resolution.

If you're looking for a headphone that's different from the HP-3, the LIRIC certainly offers a sound that's varied enough as to offer a decent complement to your existing collection.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #276 of 1,495
Could anybody compare between the Liric vs Sony mdr-z1r? I'm very interested in this comparison. After several closed back hp's I actually own a lsa hp2 ultra, which sounds amazing for me. But some days ago I tried the Sony's from a friend of mine...and for my tastes maybe it's the definitive closed back headphone.

Regards

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #277 of 1,495
Could anybody compare between the Liric vs Sony mdr-z1r? I'm very interested in this comparison. After several closed back hp's I actually own a lsa hp2 ultra, which sounds amazing for me. But some days ago I tried the Sony's from a friend of mine...and for my tastes maybe it's the definitive closed back headphone.

Regards
YEEEEEES please @ddlo , notice you have both. I have been struggling to get at least a companion for my Z1R, because i don't see myself replacing them. FWIW in my chain Z1R also have a wider soundstage than Utopia/Stellia.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #278 of 1,495
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #279 of 1,495
People may hate me for this, but you know what I would love to see? A larger (physically, think ELITE/Empyrean pad sized) closed back from Meze, with the exact ELITE driver, with the closed back tech and headband from the LIRIC. I'd have an incredibly hard time not being interested in that headphone, if it was ever created.
Same, i couldn't buy one fast enough, even at 4k. Been waiting for years.

Thanks it was actually a reply to me, was looking for other impressions as well. Not that i don't trust him :p

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #280 of 1,495

Regards
i feel liric projects wider sound while z1r hits harder on the bottom end. many said it has peak above 9k treble range too. the mid is a bit recessed as many measurements shown. both rated at 100db/mw but i think z1r is easier to drive to the same SPL. i think z1r sounds quite different from most european makers. as they're priced similarly, i myself would pick up the liric over z1r just just from sound quality aspect. but sony signature series does not often come up with a new model, if you like the sound signature, then there's no reason to skip this beautifully built cans.

beyond sound signature, z1r weights a bit less too with a huge cup. I've big ears and the liric cups are touching my ears. the z1r feels more comfortable. and it comes with a short 4.4mm cable as well as a longer 6.3mm one. audio technica also makes same design choice for their closed back in offering 1 balanced and 1 SE cables. that's much more sensible! i got a free 4.4mm cable anyway from the local agent so no complaint here anyway. but the 3.5mm cable entry of z1r protrudes a lot from the back (probably due to the bug cup to house the 70mm driver too), i can't lean my head on headrest. that's a big mistake in ergonomic aspect!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #281 of 1,495
i feel liric projects wider sound than while z1r hits harder on the bottom end. many said it has peak above 9k treble too. the mid is a bit recessed as many measurements shown. the z1r is also rated at 100db/mw but i think it's easier to drive to the same SPL. i think z1r sounds quite different from most european makers. as they're priced similarly, i myself would pick up the liric over z1r just from sound quality aspect. but sony signature series does not often come up with a new model, if you like the sound signature, then there's no reason to skip this beautifully built cans.

z1r weights a bit less too with a huge cup. I've big ears and the liric cups are touching my ears. the z1r feels more comfortable. and it comes with a short 4.4mm cable as well as a longer 6.3mm one. audio technica also makes same choice for their closed back in offering 1 balanced and 1 SE cables. that's much more sensible! i got a free 4.4mm cable anyway from the local agent so no complaint here anyway. but the 3.5mm cable entry of z1r protrudes a lot from the back (probably due to the bug cup to house the 70mm driver too), i can't lean my head on headrest. that's a big mistake in ergonomic aspect!
I've actually used the Z1R since launch, and they remain my favourite headphones to date, closed or open. I'm curious if speed an technicalities are better on Liric. They were definitely a cut above on the Elite, but even at home , i'm much better served by closed backs.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #282 of 1,495
I've actually used the Z1R since launch, and they remain my favourite headphones to date, closed or open. I'm curious if speed an technicalities are better on Liric. They were definitely a cut above on the Elite, but even at home , i'm much better served by closed backs.
i haven't heard the elite. in just the few hours i listened to liric, i feel it's not as good as empyrean on technicality side. the sound signature of z1r is very different from the meze line-up, i prefer something with more mid presence and musicality. my favorites are actually he1000se (unfortunately also an open back) for over-ear and kse1200 for iem. but i'm not a critical listener and listen music (dominantly pop and japan anime music) mostly from streaming services. please assess my subjective comments with that in mind.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #283 of 1,495
Did you get a chance to listen to it out of Dave?
I am continuously amazed about the human hearing and brain. We (or at least some) can recongnise what is being said. We can recognise who is speaking. And we (or many on this forum) can recognise on which HP it is listened to.

Latest obbservation: When listening to music, and it is busy in many frequency layers, my brain does not care too much about what is going on in the upper regions, when it is not disturbing. Much more attention is paid to the bass, and some to the middle, if I do not steer it willingly. When the upper mids or lower highs are too much present, it is more disturbing than pleasant for me.

I suppose the above gives a sort of explanation why I prefer the Empy to other hp's with more treble energy. It's presentation is just tailor made to my listening preferences.

Latest example: BEYRIES: Alone (Album Landing) - I love how the bass is enveloping and filling the air around 0:55. (Best so far from Solitaire P on MHA200)
Around 3:40 it start to be busy. After 4:00 there are parts where a cymbal struggling in the background.

The Empy elegantly hiding that struggling, showing only that there is something there. With the K812 (usually too bright for me) there is an unbearable mesh around there.

With the Lyric on Dave there were no struggle, no mash, there were nice clean cymbal hits in the background. Amazing.

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #284 of 1,495
I might be reading the wrongs things into this but it reads as a rush-on to get reviews out before really discovering the true sound of the headphones over time.

You can't discover the "real sound of a set of headphones" unless you buy them, and take some time.
This means that listening to them in a store, or at a convention, is not going to do it.

And i can tell you what you need to know about the Liric's.
Its this..

If you prefer the Audeze, ZMF, Empyrean, type of sound, where you get thick, rich, warm, tonality, then do not buy the LIRIC.
Its is not that sound.
It is a very precise and "pinpoint accuracy" type of toneality FR, that as compared to the warmer, thick, sounding headphone i mentioned will sound very analytical when you hear it.
It does not try to sound "warm", and it absolutely sounds precise.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #285 of 1,495
Boys and girls of Head-Fi, gather around for yet another exciting launch!
We are so happy to announce the release of LIRIC, Meze Audio’s first high-end closed-back planar headphone that is re-engineered for portable use.

“In our folklore, lyricism is found in the smallest of details, from odes to poems, from flute songs to the melismatic tunes of the “doina” (a style of voice singing specific to Romania). Our first closed-back isodynamic headphone was born out of love for music, poetry, and the indisputable attachment we have to our country’s culture.

We’ve been wanting to do a portable planar for a while, and following two successful collaborations with Rinaro, it was a natural next step. Naming it LIRIC was not a game of chance. It was an ideal metaphor to paint the authentic, vivid and poetic sound disguised behind its ethereal silhouette.”
- Antonio Meze, Lead Designer & Founder Meze Audio

MezeAudio_ClosedBack_PlanarMagnetic_Liric.jpg

Why a closed-back planar magnetic?

With LIRIC, we wanted to create an outdoor headphone that goes beyond the limitations of a closed-back design. By combining the Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver with the patent-pending Phase-X™ system from Rinaro, we were able to create an experience comparable to that of an open-back headphone, which translates to a spacious soundstage and accurate imaging that allows you to hear the track exactly how it was initially recorded.

LIRIC is the first closed-back headphone powered by Rinaro’s Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver. Created exclusively for Meze Audio, the MZ4 driver offers the same dual-shaped voice coil array seen in the Meze Audio Empyrean and Elite. Over 30 years of R&D have gone into developing this technology, resulting in one of the lightest and most advanced planar magnetic drivers on the market. An innovation to the MZ4 driver is the Phase-X™ system, created by Rinaro as a way to minimize phase distortion issues, typically found in closed-back headphone designs.

Meze Audio_Liric_LifestyleS.jpg

Tech Specs

HEADPHONE SPECIFICATION OVERVIEW

Driver Type - Rinaro Isodynamic Hybrid Array® MZ4
Operating Principle - Closed
Ear Coupling - Circumaural
Frequency response - 4 - 92,000 Hz
Impedance - 30 Ω
Nominal SPL - 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
Maximum SPL - 130 dB
THD - <0.15 %
Weight - 391 g

MZ4 PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Geometrical Shape - Ovoid
Size - 92mm x 63mm
Weight - 71g
Casing - Fibreglass reinforced polymer

MZ4 DIAPHRAGM SPECIFICATIONS

Type - Rinaro Isoplanar® MZ4
Active Area - 3507 mm2
Weight - 0.08 g
Acoustic Mass - 6.5 kg/m4
Lower Frequency Limit - 4 Hz
Upper Frequency Limit - 92,000 Hz

Want to know more? Head over to LIRIC’s official website.
Is there a reason you didn’t go for a warmer - more empyrean tuning? This is what I want! Maybe you can do another warmer version in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back