Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #196 of 1,495
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #197 of 1,495
My Liric has no burn in yet, but the subbass alone is reason to keep it.

My new Definition of the Perfect headphone is now
Everything from Meze Elite + Meze Liric subbass.

Loving this headphone So far.
Also supremely comfortable.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #198 of 1,495
*Very* initial impressions of Liric vs. Rognir vs. ZMF VC.

First thoughts: build is very impressive. Overall, feels very sturdy. The copper rods are a nice touch. Well engineered with a lot of fine details in the construction. Comfort is also very good. Good job on pads and headband. Aesthetically, very appealing. Cable is okay. I'll be changing, for sure. I've been listening mostly via TT2, but also Cayin N6ii both with A02/C9 and R01.

Overall sound: they have a timbre that is not wholly dissimilar to the Rognir - very crisp and airy top end, with excellent extension, an elevated upper-mid region with what feels like a dip in the lower mids, and a very controlled but very punch sub-bass section. These are absolutely not "lush" or "romantic," but nor are they clinical or analytical. They are engaging and fairly forward in the presentation, so if you're looking for an overly smooth delivery, probably the wrong headphones for you. There is a little sizzle in the top end but it's not exactly sibilant (though I suspect some people might find it aggressive). Bass is impressive: textured, distortion free, and very articulate. Mid-bass is rather flat, so if you're looking for that ZMF style warm bump here, wrong place.

Dynamics: excellent. Very punchy with a lot of "slam" (sorry). Think the opposite of the DCA Stealth. Terrific sense of speed. I think if you're into rock, metal, electronica, fusion, jazz, you'll like these. Classical wouldn't be my choice on these.

Technical performance: very good given the price. Separation, instrument placement, imaging all carried out with precision. Sense of width and space is good (though not top tier). Layering is impressive and a pleasure to listen to, as is micro detail retrieval.

Vs. Rognir: this is what I think most people will be interested in. The good news: they have a similar timbre, as mentioned above. If you like the Rognir, you'll like these. There are some differences, though. The Rognir have a smoother top end, and I find the overall FR more cohesive. Bass has more impact, with a deeper sense of rumble (and I'm listening on the supposedly bass neutral tuning); mids on Rognir also have better texture with a cleaner presentation. Beyond timbre, the Rognir are "better" in every respect (as should be expected given price difference) except arguably the Liric has a more premium build with finer material details. But otherwise, the Rognir has a clearer sense of separation, with more refined imaging, a notably wider sense of space, and overall more robust presentation (and without wishing to sound like a fan-boy, remain the closed-backs to beat at any price).

Vs. ZMF VC: Totally different story, totally different timbre. Even on the BE2 and Vérité pads (which are the most linear), the VC have a lush presentation, with a much smoother top end. I wouldn't really say the VC are good all-rounders: they're good for classic rock (dad rock/yacht rock), jazz fusion, folk, prog rock, ambient, soundtracks, etc, but can be genre picky otherwise. Far more laid presentation compared to Liric. Overall timbre is more "natural." Also, a more picky headphone in my experience. You really need to work with the VC to get the best out of it. The Liric seems to me quite adaptable in terms of gear (though still quite power hungry and I wouldn't plan on using a sub-par DAP with them).

Summary: the Liric is a very good headphone; it offers a linear(ish) timbre with an engaging presentation and a good technical performance. The sub-bass and treble is very engaging, I will wait to see if burn-in brings about a more balanced timbre with the mids. My question, I guess, is where it would fit into the high-end closed-back eco-system. Can I see myself sitting in Starbucks with these? Not sure. Taking them on a a flight or long train journey (only in certain regions, mind you)? Yes. But otherwise, they're probably trans-portable than portable. And if they're spending 50% of their time at home, then they're competing with the big boys.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #199 of 1,495
Was stated earlier that expected lifespan of pads is 2 years. Given one needs to send them off or purchase a kit to replace them, it likely won't be cheap. It's a big enough bummer to X these off the list of TOTL closed backs I was considering. It's 2021, not 2001 -- there's no need to make pad-swapping a chore anymore. Too many great alternatives at the 2k pricepoint and lower.

Also, I remember there being a rumor a couple years ago that Meze was working on a HP that fit in between the 99C and Empyrean -- is this that headphone? Or is there something else in the works as well? I assumed it wouldn't be another TOTL offering, but perhaps it was/is.
Year is irrelevant. It's quite often folks love to mention what year/century we live in and what shouldn't be a thing anymore according to that. Mechanical wristwatches are still a thing and cost ridiculous amounts, we are far past needing those with how far tech has come, yet folks spend a pretty penny to own those.

Also seems in general a lot of complaints based on high expectations considering the brand, esp regarding their history (aka past products).

I'll type it again, year is irrelevant. We could be in 2122 and glue will still be a thing, just probably more improved (or the same, who knows). Or car accidents, despite the species pushing hard for smart so number of accidents are lessened, taking away human error markedly increases chances of survival. Who knew. 🦇

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #200 of 1,495

First thoughts: build is very impressive. Overall, feels very sturdy. The copper rods are a nice touch. Well engineered with a lot of fine details in the construction. Comfort is also very good. Good job on pads and headband. Aesthetically, very appealing. Cable is okay. I'll be changing, for sure. I've been listening mostly via TT2, but also Cayin N6ii both with A02/C9 and R01.

Overall sound: they have a timbre that is not wholly dissimilar to the Rognir - very crisp and airy top end, with excellent extension, an elevated upper-mid region with what feels like a dip in the lower mids, and a very controlled but very punch sub-bass section. These are absolutely not "lush" or "romantic," but nor are they clinical or analytical. They are engaging and fairly forward in the presentation, so if you're looking for an overly smooth delivery, probably the wrong headphones for you. There is a little sizzle in the top end but it's not exactly sibilant (though I suspect some people might find it aggressive). Bass is impressive: textured, distortion free, and very articulate. Mid-bass is rather flat, so if you're looking for that ZMF style warm bump here, wrong place.

Dynamics: excellent. Very punchy with a lot of "slam" (sorry). Think the opposite of the DCA Stealth. Terrific sense of speed. I think if you're into rock, metal, electronica, fusion, jazz, you'll like these. Classical wouldn't be my choice on these.

Technical performance: very good given the price. Separation, instrument placement, imaging all carried out with precision. Sense of width and space is good (though not top tier). Layering is impressive and a pleasure to listen to, as is micro detail retrieval.

Vs. Rognir: this is what I think most people will be interested in. The good news: they have a similar timbre, as mentioned above. If you like the Rognir, you'll like these. There are some differences, though. The Rognir have a smoother top end, and I find the overall FR more cohesive. Bass has more impact, with a deeper sense of rumble (and I'm listening on the supposedly bass neutral tuning); mids on Rognir also have better texture with a cleaner presentation. Beyond timbre, the Rognir are "better" in every respect (as should be expected given price difference) except arguably the Liric has a more premium build with finer material details. But otherwise, the Rognir has a clearer sense of separation, with more refined imaging, a notably wider sense of space, and overall more robust presentation (and without wishing to sound like a fan-boy, remain the closed-backs to beat at any price).

Vs. ZMF VC: Totally different story, totally different timbre. Even on the BE2 and Vérité pads (which are the most linear), the VC have a lush presentation, with a much smoother top end. I wouldn't really say the VC are good all-rounders: they're good for classic rock (dad rock/yacht rock), jazz fusion, folk, prog rock, ambient, soundtracks, etc, but can be genre picky otherwise. Far more laid presentation compared to Liric. Overall timbre is more "natural." Also, a more picky headphone in my experience. You really need to work with the VC to get the best out of it. The Liric seems to me quite adaptable in terms of gear (though still quite power hungry and I wouldn't plan on using a sub-par DAP with them).

Summary: the Liric is a very good headphone; it offers a linear(ish) timbre with an engaging presentation and a good technical performance. The sub-bass and treble is very engaging, I will wait to see if burn-in brings about a more balanced timbre with the mids. My question, I guess, is where it would fit into the high-end closed-back eco-system. Can I see myself sitting in Starbucks with these? Not sure. Taking them on a a flight or long train journey (only in certain regions, mind you)? Yes. But otherwise, they're probably trans-portable than portable. And if they're spending 50% of their time at home, then they're competing with the big boys.
The rose gold rods are a nice touch

fixed it for you

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #202 of 1,495
Hmm promising early reviews/initial impressions, but I think i'll wait until Meze reveals the earpad replacement kit. If the price is fair and it isn't too difficult I just might place an order for these.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #203 of 1,495
Can't tell for the Liric yet, but Empyrean needed lots of burn in while the Elite sounded amazing from the first minute

My Empyrean was an ex-demo, so I didn't know the unbox condition, but my Elite and Liric are new in box, and the different is so obvious.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #204 of 1,495
Just looked at the Liric drivers and they don't look like Empyearn and Elite they have what looks like bone structure is best word. Look and see it is Aluminum in color and you can't make out the switch coil like on the two open backs. So good that they are not just throwing same old drivers in different chassis but living with the design that will become Meze house look and they should stick and just improve it forever. You can feel the hard structure at the bottom of the pads so I was right in my design theory.

My Empyrean was an ex-demo, so I didn't know the unbox condition, but my Elite and Liric are new in box, and the different is so obvious.
you have all three I want to get the Empyrean to use the Elite pads on it and want do it till someone can say the Elite hybrid pads do improve the Empyrean. I bought the original leather and it was not worth it.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #205 of 1,495

Great impression, and I am looking forward to your follow up when the Liric is settled.
By the way, do you happen to know whether your Rognir is Reference turning or Fun (or bass heavy) turning?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #206 of 1,495
Great impression, and I am looking forward to your follow up when the Liric is settled.
By the way, do you happen to know whether your Rognir is Reference turning or Fun (or bass heavy) turning?
Thanks, glad it was helpful.

I never had full confirmation, but I think my Rognir are Reference tuning, though I really need to double check this. From what I gather, Kennerton started the "Fun" tuning quite recently.

BTW: the Liric sounds very good on A02/C9! The tube warmth slightly smoothens the top end without undermining any detail.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #207 of 1,495
My Empyrean Was also used, from someone who bought them blind and instantly disliked them.

They had less than 50h on them when I bought them and continued to improve in my first 80h with them.

Ever since then I pre ordered all other Meze Headphones.
The Elite burn in difference Was rather subtile.
Curious how the Liric will turn out to be

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #208 of 1,495
I placed Acousta Stuf from Partsexpress.com with great results. read about the product and now I come from a background of tuning sound quality comp cars which is way more difficult then headphones as you deal with the worst environment for sound. This headphone I can do things without touching the inside of the cups so no warranty issues. The Acousta Stuf leveled out the highs and pushed my ears out improving the bass area. It's weird to have stuffing in the earcup but it is comfy and with some work I can get it to be more inline with their open back units.

One word wow

but as breakin happens you can remove the fill. This is strangest headphone as I've never heard breakin on any other cans out their. I order DCA tunning pads to play with maybe reduce regions to play louder possibly increase mid bass and more sub bass.

Attachments

• PXL_20211118_144839486.jpg
    PXL_20211118_144839486.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #209 of 1,495
Meze must be Metallica Fans:metal:, holy cow, never heard the Metallica-Metallica in this Quality, sounds like the Liric made for it!

Thanks Meze for your first closed back - for me it is a Masterpiece! :v:

P.S. RME ADI2 DAC FS -----> Pendant SE -----> Liric:kissing_heart:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back