Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Dec 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #691 of 1,503
A UK retailer. Not going to name and shame but pretty disappointed. They seem ok but not what you expect when you spend that amount of money!

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #692 of 1,503
A UK retailer. Not going to name and shame but pretty disappointed. They seem ok but not what you expect when you spend that amount of money!
You should contact the dealer and get that sorted.
Either a retroactive discount or an exchange to a non demo unit

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #693 of 1,503
Great experience on the Liric

Screenshot_20211225-065521_Neutron Player.jpg

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #695 of 1,503
Merry Christmas Everyone! 🎅
Wishing you all Happy Holidays and hoping Santa brought you all you needed for Happy Listening 🎶
Enjoy 🎄

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #697 of 1,503
Think it through, adrianm..... can you name a better sounding closed set of headphones? Can you prove it?
Thats a no.
By your philosophy there is no better, there is just different. If that's how you want to think about it, the Liric aren't "better" either.
Is the Susvara the "best" sound? And does it offer an upscaled Hifiman sound that is worth $6000.oo USD ????
Nope, and it sells for a lot less in reality. I was unimpressed by the Susvara out of a TT2.
None of the flagships i've heard are noticeably better than my Z1R (or the Liric) in ALL areas. Even open backs. At the end of the day i might prefer a pair of "inferior" closed backs for the isolation instead of the LCD-5 (will audition them soon) or CRBN for example, however the Liric is not it for me, because i know they can do better, even if at a higher price and at the cost of less portability. I'm also not sure about the Stealth since reviews are so polarizing.
So i'm waiting for an Elite driver closed back from Meze that is engineered with no regards to portability, just isolation for home/office use.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #698 of 1,503
Demo units are not allowed for resale.
That’s what I thought. Especially when I paid full price for a ‘new’ item. Hopefully it was honest mistake. Will give a update once I hear back from the store after Christmas!

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #699 of 1,503
For a closed set of Headphones, the Meze Liric are "flagship", level.
They certainly equal the Verite Closed. However, they dont sound anything like a Verite C.

Think it through, adrianm..... can you name a better sounding closed set of headphones? Can you prove it?
Thats a no.
Is there such a thing as a 'Tot'l" set of Closed Headphones?
All that really comes to mind is the recent DCA Stealth, or a ZMF Verite, or a Denon AHD9200, or the Liric.
So, the "tot'l" category, is really reserved for open headphones......however, if we want to make that list of Closed Headphones that operate in the "Closed Flagship" category then we have to put the LIRIC in the top tier, along with the ZMFVC and the Denon AHD9200 and the DCA Stealth.
There really aren't many closed headphones that can rate as a FShip, tho, listeners who love Beyer or Sony or AudioTechnica, might want to add one of those to this very very limited list.

Also, all headphones in this group.. : "Hifiman", "Audeze".. Beyerdynamic"...."Focal"...."ZMF"...."Sennheiser".......have a "House Sound".
As does Meze.
Does the M Elite measure up to the Susvara and the LCD-5?
Well according to at least 4 UTBE reviews, its "apples and oranges".....its......."The Susvara does this better, but the Elite does this better".
Bloom Audio and Moon Audio think the Elite and the Liric are Flagships, and both say the Elite competes with the best headphones, and bests them, in some categories.
\
Some people fall into the trap of believing that...>"if it costs a lot then it must be the best".
That in fact is not true...tho it can be the case that a very expensive set of headphones, offers a very unique experience that is worth the money.

The reality is, headphones are a drug that give you a contact high, and we like this experience, and we want to pay for more of it.....and more of it.
Its the game.
Its the purpose.
Owning 50 sets of headphones, is not so much about "detail retrieval" mania, as its about getting that contact high over and over again, that is offered by a great sounding set of (50) headphones.

Look at the LCD-5.......... Is it the best sound ?
Andrew at Resolve Reviews says its not, but he says its a serious upgrade.
Josh Valour says its a completely different sound then Audeze has ever produced in any other set of Audeze Headphones.
Currawong says the LCD-5 is midrange honky, too forward, yet is extremely resolving.
Major Hifi says that they sound as expected, nothing related to an epiphany.

If i tell you what i hear, am i the one who knows?
Well, could be.....

Is the Susvara the "best" sound? And does it offer an upscaled Hifiman sound that is worth $6000.oo USD ????
If you think that is true then notice all the used Susvara's that sell for less then $4000 that are all over the internet.
I guess not everyone believed they are the "best", after all....
Ditto the LCD-5 or the DCA Stealth and the ZMF Verite.

There are less LIRICS being resold then those...
Same with the Elite....

We are excited to have users recognising our LIRIC as the best in its class. While we know everyone hear and prefer their music differently, a formal recognition is always encouraging.

At Meze, we position our headphone as a facilitator of an immersive and involving music experience. Competing against other headphones might help us to recognise the strength and compromise (yes, there are always compromises with headphone design) of our product, but this is the mean, not the end. The final decision of a high-end headphone comparison is always a matter of music preference and/or personal preference, so we didn't really expect a general consent across the board, let alone proving an opinion.

While it is not a good idea for me to compare LIRIC to our competitors (there are forum rules against that), but I did run into several very enjoyable closed back headphones which I'll not hesitate to rate them as TOTL headphones at the time I heard them. I organised several private Headphone meet back n 2015/16 and in one occasion I heard the Sony MDR-R10 and it was amazingly musical. The significantly more resolving Sony Qualia 010 was in the meet as well, but I just couldn't let go of the R10 in that meets. As you can see in the photo below, we also have Ultrasone edition 5 limited and TH900 in the meet, so that was quite a treat for someone who enjoy closed back headphones. I have heard the MDR-R01 in several occasion after that and they all sound amazing to me.

1640417208960.png

Another closed back headphone that I want to mentioned is the underrated Sennheiser HD-250 (Linear I, 600ohm version). This is the close back version of HD540 and HD540G, I spent 6 months (back in 2017) to located a pair of 600ohm version in decent condition and it replaced my long-time regular closed back Denon D7000 almost immediately. The D7000 was very enjoyable but I only used it for pure instrumental music. On the other hand, the 600ohm HD250 is an all-rounder to me, just like the LIRIC.

Frankly, I don't select one over the other, I am happy to have either, and happier to have both. :beerchug:

1640433724523.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #700 of 1,503
That’s what I thought. Especially when I paid full price for a ‘new’ item. Hopefully it was honest mistake. Will give a update once I hear back from the store after Christmas!
Retailers are allowed to get Demo units that have one year reselling embargo.

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #701 of 1,503
That is a very good idea! I will certainly follow that advice. I have bought a pair of Meze Raj Solo iem's to tie me over until i get my Liric's in january and these also sound amazing. Very surprised about their sound quality with IFI go blue for such a good price.

Thanks, it's always good to know about combinations that work!

Just arrived.

Merry Christmas 🎄

Likewise! That's one gorgeous packaging artwork right there btw., very cool!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 27, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #702 of 1,503
Demo unit may came with a little imperfection on cosmetic, although not always. Need to double check everything.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #703 of 1,503
I have had the Liric for two weeks. It would thus far seem to fix every problem in every other headphone I've owned.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #704 of 1,503
@Resolve

Thanks again for your measurements.
Based on this, I finally found my preset.

Screenshot_20211230-122600_Neutron Player.jpg
Screenshot_20211230-122526_Neutron Player.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #705 of 1,503
Does anyone else’s headband have two bubble/blister type things where the Liric logo is embossed? Doesn’t look like an intentional thing to me…

9E016C48-B8EC-4F57-A390-0F15656601C9.jpeg

01085C06-4216-461D-98E2-F5EC7C571B77.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back