MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #3,653 of 5,658
I guess it is even more about owning 'one of a hundred ever made', than the paint itself. There are always people who are willing to pay for rarity. When it comes to cars, those special, limited editions are usually good investments. Whether this business philosophy translates to the headphone world I am less sure about. Meze must have sold a few thousand pair of Elites, so a limited run of 100 certainly makes something rare and special even more rare and more special. They should be able to sell 100 Epoques, but as opposed to a limited run of Lamborghini or Bugatti these headphones won't retain their value. It is purely for folks who can afford to spend $1000 on looks only.
I am not sure though, if those 100 people will enjoy they Elites more than I do. :)

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,654 of 5,658
I am not sure though, if those 100 people will enjoy they Elites more than I do. :)
That's really not the point though. I'd take this with this approach of "vanity versions" as opposed to Weiss, Hifiman and others pricing through the roof just because they feel like they have the market cornered at a particular time, and when they don't, massive discounts because it was grossly overpriced to begin with. That kills used markets as well as makes you feel like a sucker for buying into the early hype.
I got the DM version just because I loved the normal version so much and was sure It wasn't going away anytime soon. That in addition to absolutely loving the design.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #3,655 of 5,658
That's really not the point though. I'd take this with this approach of "vanity versions" as opposed to Weiss, Hifiman and others pricing through the roof just because they feel like they have the market cornered at a particular time, and when they don't, massive discounts because it was grossly overpriced to begin with. That kills used markets as well as makes you feel like a sucker for buying into the early hype.
I got the DM version just because I loved the normal version so much and was sure It wasn't going away anytime soon. That in addition to absolutely loving the design.
I didn't say there is anything wrong with these 'vanity versions'. For those who can afford it, it is a good way to support a company who we think creates amazing stuff. If anything, we can be grateful for the buyers of special editions as this is basically an extra investment in Meze's future, enabling them to create even more amazing stuff for more people. :wink:
Regarding the pricing of other companies or general pricing in the headphone world would be worth a whole other essay.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #3,656 of 5,658
Nothing cures high prices like high prices. Vanity is one thing; reality is that most audiophiles keep an eye on the amp and dac parts of the chain and will do what is needed there before making a vanity purchase especially when resale is considered. IMHO

That being said, nothing wrong with offering these kinds of items for sale. Got money to burn, there are worse ways to do it I guess.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #3,657 of 5,658
@adrianm @betula @commtrd -- all this special/vanity edition discussion reminded me of the Assassin's Creed Utopia.

$50k for a gold- and jewel-encrusted Utopia, and another $14k for a similarly decorative headphone stand in the form of a bust of the game's protagonist, Bayek.

Talk about money to burn :)

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,658 of 5,658
@adrianm @betula @commtrd -- all this special/vanity edition discussion reminded me of the Assassin's Creed Utopia.

$50k for a gold- and jewel-encrusted Utopia, and another $14k for a similarly decorative headphone stand in the form of a bust of the game's protagonist, Bayek.

I have heard about this one. It is really for people who don't know what to do with the next $50k pocket money allocated for Friday afternoon.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,659 of 5,658

Wow I knew about them, but I wasn't in the hobby when they came out. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and never knew that was a collaboration.
Very cool, nothing against it for those that can afford it. Much better than hiding performance behind a huge wall of cash. They subsidize R&D costs and we all benefit.
Razer also has a weird collab with Panerai now for the small Venn diagram area where gamers and watch nerds clash.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #3,660 of 5,658
I think Meze are missing a big opportunity here. There should be options to customise the grill and frame colour. Even if it's just two or three options. I would love a black gloss frame with silver or rose gold coloured grills on an Elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back