MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #3,676 of 5,594
Actually I like Susvara more with HA-3A rather with Burson GT. However with Elite, I think they tie in enjoyment (while Burson GT perform better technicalities), but obviously different flavour of course.

For Elite owner who want to enjoy something more like this, but still in "acceptable" tonality, I suggest DCA Expanse
I have tried Susvara with the HA-3A and tracks that are bass-light sound fantastic. Strings are amazing. But modern music, electronic, and any music with deep sub bass gets undeniably wonky already. Power is too low for the Susvara and the physics ain’t physicking.

GT is really really good with the Elites as well. I actually got the elites because it takes more effort to make them sound bad and I get to save so much on amps.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,677 of 5,594
I am keen on the HA3A because it's a lovely looking tube amp and it has a neutral sound signature with stock tubes. Not interested in tube rolling.

I will try to keep the Master 9 as my Solid state/reference amp along with the HA3A.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #3,678 of 5,594
I have tried Susvara with the HA-3A and tracks that are bass-light sound fantastic. Strings are amazing. But modern music, electronic, and any music with deep sub bass gets undeniably wonky already. Power is too low for the Susvara and the physics ain’t physicking.

GT is really really good with the Elites as well. I actually got the elites because it takes more effort to make them sound bad and I get to save so much on amps.
Interesting input regarding the HA-3A's bass. I found this amp appealing as well, although some reports said, the noise floor can be a bit high with sensitive planars. Any comment on that? Perhaps that was only the case with some early production HA-3As.

What you say about the bass might put me off though. I really enjoy what a good SS amp like the GSX-Mini does to the bass on the Elite: enhanced control, authority, tight and precise impact. I wonder if there is a tube amp with similar bass handling? I guess there is for eyewatering amount of money, but around 2 grand? :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #3,679 of 5,594
Interesting input regarding the HA-3A's bass. I found this amp appealing as well, although some reports said, the noise floor can be a bit high with sensitive planars. Any comment on that? Perhaps that was only the case with some early production HA-3As.

What you say about the bass might put me off though. I really enjoy what a good SS amp like the GSX-Mini does to the bass on the Elite: enhanced control, authority, tight and precise impact. I wonder if there is a tube amp with similar bass handling? I guess there is for eyewatering amount of money, but around 2 grand? :)
I was merely talking about the wonky bass when it is driving the Susvara, as a response to previous poster who used Susvara with Ha-3a. But I am using the ha-3a with the Elites, probably the most sensitive planar around? And no noise, and the bass is great esp after some good tube rolling.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #3,680 of 5,594
So you’re saying Expanse is similar to Elite but more technical/detailed, but less euphonic?

I look forward to an Elite/Expanse/Caldera shoot-out.

Well, not really, expanse and elite are at the opposite of spectrum. Elite is pure emotive and pleasure. Expanse is linear and "discipline". However, among many headphones that lean to focus on "accuracy above musicality" Expanse is my most favourite.

Caldera would be at same spectrum like Elite that focus on enjoyment.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,681 of 5,594
Well, not really, expanse and elite are at the opposite of spectrum. Elite is pure emotive and pleasure. Expanse is linear and "discipline". However, among many headphones that lean to focus on "accuracy above musicality" Expanse is my most favourite.

Caldera would be at same spectrum like Elite that focus on enjoyment.
Agreed with the Caldera and Elite being built for musical enjoyment. Both strike a fine balance between technicalities and musical performance. I have yet to here the Expanse to comment on how it fits into the picture.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #3,682 of 5,594
20221215_184717.jpg

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,683 of 5,594
the same thing that hides flaws also hides the very best recordings because you cant have it both ways...give me the HP that lets me hear exactly what is on the recording good orbad
With many high-end headphones you need to look for those few songs to enjoy those cans.
"Yeah this one song sounds really good with these x brand headphones, too bad it is techno, i really don't listen to it, but it sounds good"
With Elite, enjoyable songs pop out like mushrooms after a rain :wink:
This comment was written tongue in cheek

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #3,684 of 5,594
That's what I heard as well w/ Elite. Very good with pretty much every genre I tried.

Same is true of Atrium, which was probably the biggest part of the whole ... and it nearly came down to a coin flip ... deal when I had to pick one or the other.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #3,685 of 5,594
Hey folks!

Looking for a high-end music production headphone. Mixing/Mastering/Sound Design... From what I can read, and I've spent a ridiculous amount of time researching, it would seem that all points to the Audeze LCD-5. I take comfort very seriously though because these are on my head while I am concentrating very hard... Also, I'm not a huge fan of how the Audeze headphones look... That's why I've been eyeing the Meze Elite. However, it seems that many would say that they aren't suited for this application. Is this objectively true? Should I just look elsewhere?

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,686 of 5,594
Hey folks!

Looking for a high-end music production headphone. Mixing/Mastering/Sound Design... From what I can read, and I've spent a ridiculous amount of time researching, it would seem that all points to the Audeze LCD-5. I take comfort very seriously though because these are on my head while I am concentrating very hard... Also, I'm not a huge fan of how the Audeze headphones look... That's why I've been eyeing the Meze Elite. However, it seems that many would say that they aren't suited for this application. Is this objectively true? Should I just look elsewhere?
What you need the headphones for: mixing, mastering the LCD5 is your best bet. More neutral than the Elite and extremely precise, balanced. Like super clean studio monitors on your head. For music listening I didn't quite like the LCD5 and my clear preference is the Elite due to its addictively sweet musical sound, but for studio mixing the LCD5 is hands down a better tool.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,687 of 5,594
What you need the headphones for: mixing, mastering the LCD5 is your best bet. More neutral than the Elite and extremely precise, balanced. Like super clean studio monitors on your head. For music listening I didn't quite like the LCD5 and my clear preference is the Elite due to its addictively sweet musical sound, but for studio mixing the LCD5 is hands down a better tool.
A great response. Why does it upset me so...........? lol

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,688 of 5,594
Hehe. It depends if you also want them for musical enjoyment. The Elite's are very natural sounding headphones so might do a good job as well but probably not LCD5 level, no.

Susvara are very comfortable headphones as well as very detailed. Not sure how they would be for mixing either though.

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #3,689 of 5,594
With many high-end headphones you need to look for those few songs to enjoy those cans.
"Yeah this one song sounds really good with these x brand headphones, too bad it is techno, i really don't listen to it, but it sounds good"
This comment was written tongue in cheek
When I listen to a HP,just as when I listen to an amp or a DAC I want to hear exactly what is on the recording..I want the HP that is the most detailed as well as having all the other subjective qualities such as soundstage and bass and imagining etc...I owned the empyrean and sold it almost immediately ..I havent heard the Elite but I assume it has the same softening sound...I will however say that it is a beautiful and comfortable HP

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #3,690 of 5,594
I would say there are different ways to convey what exactly is on the recording. For instance, I now own the Susvara, and have spent a little time with the Abyss 1266, and while both excellent, I'd still choose the Elite over either. Or the Empyrean for that matter, for my tastes. To me, virtually every HiFiMan headphone I've heard (I own 3, have heard a few more) renders what's exactly on the recording as too bright. I feel I get what's on the recording with the Elite, but it's fuller, smoother. Is it artificial addition to the recording? I don't know. But it's certainly more agreeable sonically. In other words, I'd wouldn't equate "telling it like it is" on the recording with what's sometimes just excessive treble energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back