MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #2,716 of 5,620
Sadly, I didn't as others were watching!
England just beat Germany in the final of the European Championships.

A great day! Just received a Chord Epic digital to go between streamer and DAC/amp, and expecting my Elites to be joined by a pair of Verite Closed on Tuesday. Feels like Christmas!
It sure does sound, and will sound, great!

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,717 of 5,620
I think this only happen at certain frequency, many sensitivity test use 1kHz if I'm not mistaken. At 1kHz sound, your opinion may correct, but how about at other frequencies? Dynamic driver is famous for its inconsistent impedance, Beyerdynamic T1 with 600 ohm impedance has increase of impedance lot in bass area (become around 900 ohm if I remember correctly). The power calculation for each frequency may not linear.
For sure, if the ‘nominal’ impedance is way off from the ‘practical’ impedance, the the current requirements will be non-linear. But that doesn’t affect the power requirements which are driven by sensitivity.

Your question negates the predicate of @Andykong ’s question (assumes sensitivity and impedance are the same) though. I would not consider the flat impedance of many (most) planars similar enough to the peaky impedance of dynamic cans, even if their ‘nominal’ impedance is the same.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,718 of 5,620
[Also posted this on Verite Closed thread]

So, I have a dilemma:
As stated earlier, I want a transportable solution to be able to enjoy my headphones in my campervan. Currently using Meze Elites, but expecting some Verite Closed soon.
At the moment, I mainly listen to streamed Tidal or Qobuz, sitting down in one place or another.

It appears I have a couple of choices:

1) Get a DAP (eg. A&K SP1000/2000, Cayin N8 etc.) and straight into the headphones (Verite Closed/Elites). This may require additional amping.

2) Continue to use my phone (currently Oppo Find X2 pro) and get a DAC/amp (eg WA11/8, Hugo etc. + decent cable to connect the pair.

Listening on-the-go is not something I am interested in so pocket portability is not a consideration. I want something that will fit on, say, a shelf in my camper so desktop DAC/amp is not viable.

Although I will listen outside the van, again sitting comfortably not walking, when inside, I will be able to plug in as we mainly camp with hook-up.

Which of the two options do members consider the better one?

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,719 of 5,620

So, I have a dilemma:
As stated earlier, I want a transportable solution to be able to enjoy my headphones in my campervan. Currently using Meze Elites, but expecting some Verite Closed soon.
At the moment, I mainly listen to streamed Tidal or Qobuz, sitting down in one place or another.

1) Get a DAP (eg. A&K SP1000/2000, Cayin N8 etc.) and straight into the headphones (Verite Closed/Elites). This may require additional amping.

2) Continue to use my phone (currently Oppo Find X2 pro) and get a DAC/amp (eg WA11/8, Hugo etc. + decent cable to connect the pair.

Listening on-the-go is not something I am interested in so pocket portability is not a consideration. I want something that will fit on, say, a shelf in my camper so desktop DAC/amp is not viable.

Although I will listen outside the van, again sitting comfortably not walking, when inside, I will be able to plug in as we mainly camp with hook-up.

Check out the new ifi Gryphon

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #2,721 of 5,620
Just got these in today. I think I understand why they're rarely listed on the classifieds. They're very enjoyable right off the bat (and gorgeous). Sounding pretty good out of everything I'm plugging into, but really good out of both the TT2 and CMA Fifteen. Noticeably less midrange than the LCD5 and more bass without any EQ. Treble is just right for my tastes and the larger soundstage is fun. They seem to make for a nice compliment to the LCD5.

The original Empyrean were underwhelming for me, but these are definitely more along what I enjoy.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #2,722 of 5,620
Hi, thanks. I don't have a DAP and have been using my phone as far as portable goes. Just looked and the Cayin is just an amp. Don't fancy having to buy a player as well unless advantages over plugging my phone into a decent DAC/amp is significant.

So, I have a dilemma:

If listening on-the-go is not something you'll be interested in, don't spend a lot of money on DAP, portable DAC/Amp is the way to go for your scenarios. Maybe getting a compact DAP such as Shanling M3X or HiBy R5Gen2 as a dedicated music source for your DAC/Amp, that'll free your mobile phone from the chain with minimum interference.

On the other hand, Chord TT2 can provide a couple of hours of DC operation, if that's enough for you and within the reach of your budget, TT2+Elite is a well-received combo among Meze Headphone users.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #2,723 of 5,620
Just got these in today. I think I understand why they're rarely listed on the classifieds. They're very enjoyable right off the bat (and gorgeous). Sounding pretty good out of everything I'm plugging into, but really good out of both the TT2 and CMA Fifteen. Noticeably less midrange than the LCD5 and more bass without any EQ. Treble is just right for my tastes and the larger soundstage is fun. They seem to make for a nice compliment to the LCD5.

The original Empyrean were underwhelming for me, but these are definitely more along what I enjoy.
How would you compare the CMA15 to the TT2?

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,724 of 5,620
Will check that out thanks. Have an IFI xDSD which I'm sure won't have the power but I don't know the Gryphon
I'm sure the xDSD will have more than enough power for the efficient Elites (don't know about Verite).
My iDSD drives the Elites with total ease, using the middle of the sensitivity settings. With the High setting I can barely move the volume control from minimum before it gets too loud for my usual moderate listening levels. SQ is good - you can always pay more for a better sound, but not because of power levels.

What I would do is try the xDSD/Elites for a while before deciding if I needed something better.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #2,725 of 5,620
I'm sure the xDSD will have more than enough power for the efficient Elites (don't know about Verite).
My iDSD drives the Elites with total ease, using the middle of the sensitivity settings. With the High setting I can barely move the volume control from minimum before it gets too loud for my usual moderate listening levels. SQ is good - you can always pay more for a better sound, but not because of power levels.

What I would do is try the xDSD/Elites for a while before deciding if I needed something better.
Thanks for replying. Yes, I have used the Ifi with the Elites. Not as extended FQ or as open as C3XR but not bad.

At home, I love the Elites through the Burson but, when in my campervan, I need a closed pair of headphones to avoid upsetting my wife. Hence the ZMF VCs due shortly.

I will try the xDSD with them but don't hold out much hope.
The Ifi IDSD Sig is another option I am considering. Trouble is finding amps to listen to which is why this forum is so useful.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,726 of 5,620

Welcome to the club man! Agree that LCD-5 and Elite complement each other nicely. Personally I would choose Diana TC as even better complement to Elite though.

CMA 15 also great for Elite, but for me TT2 infuse soul and realism better for Elite.

So, I have a dilemma:

Cayin N8ii is nice pairing with Elite, especially with 4.4mm balance. On the other hand, ZMF VC has good synergy with Hugo 2, and Elite + Hugo 2 also not bad by any means.

For more budget friendly, ibasso dx320 is nice option for both headphones as well. If you can find ibasso DX300Max in classified, that would even better option.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #2,727 of 5,620
Had a chance to try these at the Pacific Audio Fest!

First thing I noticed is that they were much lighter than I expected. They also sit very lightly on the head. I can see why people say this is one of the most comfortable headphones out there. However, for me, the clamping force was a bit too light. It felt like the cans would easily slip off my head if I leaned forward or back. Also, the light clamping force made it feel like I wasn't getting a great seal. This was all with hybrid elite pads. Did not get a chance to try the thicker pads. I adjusted cups up and down a few times and found a position that worked a bit better but I still felt like there were gaps between my head and the pads.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the fit?

I listened to these immediately after the LCD-5 and noticed that these had a much wider sound stage and slightly recessed mids in comparison. Instruments seemed well separated. Was difficult to get much more of an opinion with show conditions.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,728 of 5,620
Had a chance to try these at the Pacific Audio Fest!

First thing I noticed is that they were much lighter than I expected. They also sit very lightly on the head. I can see why people say this is one of the most comfortable headphones out there. However, for me, the clamping force was a bit too light. It felt like the cans would easily slip off my head if I leaned forward or back. Also, the light clamping force made it feel like I wasn't getting a great seal. This was all with hybrid elite pads. Did not get a chance to try the thicker pads. I adjusted cups up and down a few times and found a position that worked a bit better but I still felt like there were gaps between my head and the pads.

I listened to these immediately after the LCD-5 and noticed that these had a much wider sound stage and slightly recessed mids in comparison. Instruments seemed well separated. Was difficult to get much more of an opinion with show conditions.
Yep I noticed the same, extremely loose clamp. I put a hat on and it helps keep them on more securely.

The thicker pads may be a little better, but I haven't tried them either.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,729 of 5,620

Hard to say there are any flagship level headphones that has same/more prominent midrange compared to LCD-5. This Audeze is really forward in Mid area, even more than "already at mid-centric side" Abyss Diana Phi.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,730 of 5,620
Hard to say there are any flagship level headphones that has same/more prominent midrange compared to LCD-5. This Audeze is really forward in Mid area, even more than "already at mid-centric side" Abyss Diana Phi.
ZMF Atrium have pretty prominent mids. I haven't heard LCD-5, so can't compare.

I had an Atrium loaner, then (after loaner was sent onward) got my Elite. Now I have (my own) Atrium inbound, so I'll be able to compare w/ Elite.
However, for me, the clamping force was a bit too light. It felt like the cans would easily slip off my head if I leaned forward or back. Also, the light clamping force made it feel like I wasn't getting a great seal.

Yep I noticed the same, extremely loose clamp. I put a hat on and it helps keep them on more securely.

The thicker pads may be a little better, but I haven't tried them either.
For me, this aren't issues (looseness and defective seal) with the thicker pads, although I can see where it might bother me with the other pads. But I'm familiar with the problem -- my Blackwood Auteur were hard to keep on my head when the music got me bobbing and bopping :)

Found that the ZMF Pilot (and Co-Pilot) pads solved the issue for my Auteur -- effectively doing what @ra990 's hat does for him, although I don't imagine either will help with the defective seal @gKalkin mentions.

I'll try them both with my Elite tonight and see if one of them works.

Not sure if you can bend the Elite headband a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back