Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 7, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #1,352 of 3,484
Would be interested in what dynamic driver headphones other members have as I'm in the market for a good pair under $1500.
Do you have the 109’s? They’ve moved straight into my recommendation for this price point.

I haven’t taken them off since I got them, amazing cans. Going to order the copper pcuhd XLR cable for them next week, using the 4.4mm one I got with the Lirics at the moment but would like a longer cable.

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #1,353 of 3,484
I've read a lot about these on different forums and reviews. Many opinions are that they are overpriced for the technology that they use. They look gorgeous and in that sense, value is looked completely differently but from the sonic standpoint I think that DCA Aeon 2’s may be tough competition even though they are plannars.

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #1,354 of 3,484
I have a number of planers and similar number of dynamic drivers and prefer dynamic drivers. Would be interested in what dynamic driver headphones other members have as I'm in the market for a good pair under $1500.
I only use dynamics. The only planar I really got along with was the Quad Era-1, but the fit was terrible. What exactly are you after?

Jan 7, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,355 of 3,484
The 109 pro looks promising, didn’t realise that they were dynamic drivers. I don’t like big bass, all my headphones are pretty flat from 100hz-1000hz. Of the headphones I own the Mrspeaker alpha primes would have the most bass but it’s not boomy, woolly and does not dominate the frequency spectrum and I find them quite enjoyable. They would represent the maximum bass I find acceptable. I also like slightly forward mids.

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #1,357 of 3,484
How well to these isolate the outside sounds? I actually prefer very open headphones where I can hear folks around me.
well its open type .. u can definitely hear ur surrounding .. lol ..

surprisingly, 109 doesn't leak too much music although its open type, unlike focal clear which leak 10x more, everyone in the room will know what u r listening.

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,359 of 3,484
I've owned the Arya and I currently own the Elite. But I've found the 109 to have a better sense of clarity, dynamics, and texture than both of those planars. The 109 has more "color" to the music. I've found that planars, even TOTL, present music as shades of gray rather than vivid colors. It seems like there's always some sort of haze in the background that detracts from the sense of background blackness. So for me, even though the 109 is not as resolving, it still beats those other phones because of the raw dynamics, tonality, and dark background. It really is a spectacular headphone.
Nice.
I hope I can bring a 109 Pro to Brazil one day.
They seem awesome.

On a different matter, may I suggest you a planar that has slam and dynamics, while maintaining nice clarity and texture, with a holographic stage?
Hifiman HE6seV2. $399 new. Insane.
You have a TOTL DAC and a nice amp (HE6 plays well from Soloist but still benefits from more power).
These headphones just need a few mods to improve what's already great: DCA Ether Angled Pads and open grills, with optional bass mod.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested in knowing more.

Cheers guys and have fun with your Meze's :)

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,360 of 3,484
Yes Australian. Have got akg k701, beyerdynamic t90, Audio-Technica r70x, focal elegia, grado sr225e. Was after something the next level up. Imho the worst headphone I ever owned was the meze 99 classic. Mids and highs were good, build and look was excellent but the bass was just too overpowering so much so that I couldn’t listen to them for more than 10 minutes.
Did you try the Meze with the original pads? Smaller and less comfortable, but they're supposed to sound good, no bloated bass.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #1,362 of 3,484
Nice.
I hope I can bring a 109 Pro to Brazil one day.
They seem awesome.

On a different matter, may I suggest you a planar that has slam and dynamics, while maintaining nice clarity and texture, with a holographic stage?
Hifiman HE6seV2. $399 new. Insane.
You have a TOTL DAC and a nice amp (HE6 plays well from Soloist but still benefits from more power).
These headphones just need a few mods to improve what's already great: DCA Ether Angled Pads and open grills, with optional bass mod.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested in knowing more.

Cheers guys and have fun with your Meze's :)
Agree about he6. I had three: two originals many years ago and one se. In the mid-highs is one of the best tried. But still prefere the 109

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,363 of 3,484
I have a number of planers and similar number of dynamic drivers and prefer dynamic drivers. Would be interested in what dynamic driver headphones other members have as I'm in the market for a good pair under $1500.
I have written extensively about the Neumann NDH 30, a landmark product by the famous, century-old studio equipment maker. It clearly and impressively redefines what can be achieved in the area below € 1000 (and more for sure). It is funny how people interested in the range up to €1500 overlook a headphone of tremendous vfm, able to win hands-down in a contest of comparable or even more expensive headphones due to its very fine and extended frequency balance, extreme detail, speed, naturalness and comfort. All it takes is a careful listen with top electronics to see that it is not only a tremendous new tool for the recording industry (as designed) but a genuine audiophiles' dream. At least for those who like utmost precision and balance.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,365 of 3,484
I am listening to YouTube videos and haven't even started on music services and my personal music on cds. Just beautiful depth of music. Using Questyle M12. Will probably use a desktop or the M15 next with Amazon Music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back