Meze Audio 109 Pro
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,156 of 3,452
Just want to make sure that the new Meze pure copper cable indeed works with the 109. It doesn't work with my 99 Classics, as the 3.5mm jacks are too large to fit, so I assume the cup sockets are different between the 99 and 109.
The hole is really small un 109. I have ordered the cable from meze store. It is expensive compared tonsome other cable makers but i saw some 3.5 connectors and i think are too large for 109

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,157 of 3,452
Says who, you? 2/3 of the planet doesn't have running water. I have no idea why some choose to criticize others that spent more than them on a hobby. The vast majority of the planet does not understand why you spend so much on this hobby. Enjoy what you have.
Of course but i think question is other. Today every top headphone comes out at minimum 5000 just because market buy at this price point

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #1,158 of 3,452
IMHO, a single headphone over 2k is utterly BS. Just for what exactly? If it were me having bought one for over 2k, I would high likely do everything in my power to justify while in reality, there is none. I would simply cry in a corner lol. All the headphones in my sig haven't reached the 4k by a long shot. Sure I get it, this hobby cost some buck but there are lines where we should not exceed it.
I actually ask myself pretty often if it makes sense, this whole hobby (which, for most part, is more about gear than music). In the end, when I listen to the same music with a 800-900 euros combo (EF400+Sundara/ATH R70X) I enjoy it a lot.

But when I'm in the mood, the Arya SE + the K9 Pro is more like an experience. It actually is different, it actually makes me feel something that a Sundara can't.

Value is something so personal and ever-changing; 2k for a single HP is too much for me too, but just because it's more than what I earn in a month of hard work. 3 years ago 500$ was too much, then 800, then 1000, then 1500. everyone draws it's own line.

I think the 1500 ball-park is my limit, but it's more about being able to justify with myself how much I'm giving up to get a new HP or some gear.

I'm sure a Susvara can make you feel special stuff compared to an Arya SE, it's not just about spending more. It's just I would not be able to justify that amount of money compared to what I earn.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,159 of 3,452
This Meze 109 pro seems pretty interesting, i might consider it for second headphone with my loved Grado Hemp.
I assume it's pretty different than Grado's, anyone compared?

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #1,160 of 3,452
i always though all cables are balanced, just the termination difference. Would you share more what you meant the stock is not balanced?
There is only a left, right and common ground in the stock cable. You can't turn that into 4.4mm. The stock is a pretty crappy cable sadly.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #1,161 of 3,452
Tried the 109 Pro today and really liked it besides the piercing treble so I didn’t buy them. It was really noticeable on female vocals and edm tracks. Had to turn the volume down a lot to make it more manageable.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,162 of 3,452
The 109 Pro is like an usual lushy HD600 but with Sundara's technicality and Arya's excessive headroom plus the wide-staging-effect midrange, combined with the dominant fun bass presence of its brother 99 Classic but much more controlled and less veiled. Meze said they want to create just a "fun" tuned pair headphones but it turns out they create a masterpiece of fun tonal balance. It's V-shaped without being V-shaped cause funnily the midrange is where the contrast is the most extreme.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,164 of 3,452
you have centered the question: the price. from some reviews read it is perfectly understood that they cannot write that the meze sounds as headphones that cost 3 or 4 times more
Same thing as with Neumann NDH 30. (Almost) only independent reviewers write about its unexpectedly "expensive" virtues and tremendous value for money. Headphones that clearly sound much above their price range cannot be promoted as such. This would damage sales of more expensive gear, meaning it would damage general commercial profit. That's where forums come in and users' exchange of careful impressions.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,165 of 3,452
Of course but i think question is other. Today every top headphone comes out at minimum 5000 just because market buy at this price point
Sure, you are probably right in some/most cases... But so what? There are $100,000 speakers and amps. There are people out there that have more money than they can spend. I watched an episode of Bitchin Rides... Guy brought a 68 camero in that needed a refresh.... It wasn't junk, easily $50-75K....they decided it was junk and just built a new one from scratch basically. The other one went in the garbage I guess, the new one had to be $250K probably $300k. Not a single thing came from 1968. He added it to his collection.

I had Utopias. I can't afford world best speakers, but I can get best headphones. Then I turned them into speakers. Now I want 109s... I bet they get me pretty close. We'll see... Anyone ready to sell, I'm ready to buy... Because why pay retail. 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,166 of 3,452
Sure, you are probably right in some/most cases... But so what? There are $100,000 speakers and amps. There are people out there that have more money than they can spend. I watched an episode of Bitchin Rides... Guy brought a 68 camero in that needed a refresh.... It wasn't junk, easily $50-75K....they decided it was junk and just built a new one from scratch basically. The other one went in the garbage I guess, the new one had to be $250K probably $300k. Not a single thing came from 1968. He added it to his collection.

I had Utopias. I can't afford world best speakers, but I can get best headphones. Then I turned them into speakers. Now I want 109s... I bet they get me pretty close. We'll see... Anyone ready to sell, I'm ready to buy... Because why pay retail. 🤣
Of course. I don' t care if people spend 5000 for an headphone. If i had money made same thing for sure. In this period, after long time with same headphone, i tried some headphones. The most expensive was around 2.200. Meze is the only case where i found high quality at reasonable price. Of course it is just my humble opinion

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,167 of 3,452
Of course. I don' t care if people spend 5000 for an headphone. If i had money made same thing for sure. In this period, after long time with same headphone, i tried some headphones. The most expensive was around 2.200. Meze is the only case where i found high quality at reasonable price. Of course it is just my humble opinion
And, I have always sought bang for buck as most do. All my money went to 2ch. So now I want some HPs for when I'm irritating others, but I won't be spending long hours listening to HP. So I am hope for this situation, the 109s give me the most bang for buck at a reasonable price point cause I can't spend a lot. I have Sony MX4... Fantastic wireless headphone great for other uses.... But clearly colored and performance indicative of their price. I'm hoping the 109s get me where I want to go.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,168 of 3,452
Hi,

I have a buddy who just got his first proper high end headphone - the Audeze LCD- X and absolutely loves it.

We're looking for something that provides a little different flavor for his second purchase.

Currently, we are between the 109 Pro and the ZMF Aeolus.

Frankly, I can't discount him from choosing one or the another because I love both! Appreciate the insight.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,169 of 3,452
IMHO, a single headphone over 2k is utterly BS. Just for what exactly? If it were me having bought one for over 2k, I would high likely do everything in my power to justify while in reality, there is none. I would simply cry in a corner lol. All the headphones in my sig haven't reached the 4k by a long shot. Sure I get it, this hobby cost some buck but there are lines where we should not exceed it.
Currently, my 2 favorite headphones price out at $250 from my favorite one and $500 for my 2nd favorite one. This does not include the cables. I have heard AKG K812 and Meze Empyrean, as a reference. Sources are Sony NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. Balanced only.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,170 of 3,452
Hi,

I have a buddy who just got his first proper high end headphone - the Audeze LCD- X and absolutely loves it.

We're looking for something that provides a little different flavor for his second purchase.

Currently, we are between the 109 Pro and the ZMF Aeolus.

Frankly, I can't discount him from choosing one or the another because I love both! Appreciate the insight.
Wait: Am I your buddy, Seb? I just bought the LCD-X 2021, love it and want something of a different flavor for another can. I'm considering ... the 109 Pro and the Aeolus. Keeping a sharp eye on this thread! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back