Meze Audio 109 Pro
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,187 of 3,485
I just received it today too but with 4 pins XLR and like 8 ft long.
Cost more though.
Burning with 109 Pro right now.
Will test it with Liric too later.
Right. 2.5 meters. I try tomorrow

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,188 of 3,485
Can anyone compare and contrast this with the Denon ah-d9200? Mostly curious how the mids through the highs sound and resolution. I own and enjoy the 9200, but it can be a bit splashy and eventually fatiguing to my ears. If the 109 is even brighter, I can certainly rule it out.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,189 of 3,485
Dec 20, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,190 of 3,485
Another friend of mine tried the meze. he found the 109 at the same level of hifiman he1000 V1 and superior to meze elite

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,191 of 3,485
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering the 109s even though they are more expensive than I anything I've bought in the past. I currently own Sony MDR-1AM2s and Oppo PM3s. I recently upgraded my DAP from a Shanling M3X and Cowon Plenue M2 (both might be for sale quite soon so I can finance the Meze 109 Pros :relaxed:). I'm looking for a wide-open, layered sound with good imagery. I like to hear the nuances in the music I listen to (Trevor Hall, CSN, John Butler, Michael Hedges). How does the sound from the Meze 109 Pro compare to the headphones I currently own?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,192 of 3,485
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering the 109s even though they are more expensive than I anything I've bought in the past. I currently own Sony MDR-1AM2s and Oppo PM3s. I recently upgraded my DAP from a Shanling M3X and Cowon Plenue M2 (both might be for sale quite soon so I can finance the Meze 109 Pros :relaxed:). I'm looking for a wide-open, layered sound with good imagery. I like to hear the nuances in the music I listen to (Trevor Hall, CSN, John Butler, Michael Hedges). How does the sound from the Meze 109 Pro compare to the headphones I currently own?

Thanks in advance.
i had oppo pm3 long time ago with special cable from forzaudioworks. i think 109 is a good upgrade. you find used in the forum. and you drive easily with dap

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,193 of 3,485
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
You find the right headphones here. The 109 Pro are not quite there where the Focal Clear or the Ananda perform technically. But both of them has mid timbre (especially the Clear), which is a big no no to me. The 109 Pro's stage is quite flexible, they can sound big or intimate when it's needed, it has an airy sound signature done smoothly so no worries about the headstage. Depth wise they're all on the same league. Definitely more detailed than those sub 500$ headphones. Comfort and drivability are at the top of the game.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #1,194 of 3,485
The 109 Pro are not quite there where the Focal Clear or the Ananda perform technically. But both of them has mid timbre (especially the Clear), which is a big no no to me. The 109 Pro's stage is quite flexible, they can sound big or intimate when it's needed, it has an airy sound signature done smoothly so no worries about the headstage. Depth wise they're all on the same league. Definitely more detailed than those sub 500$ headphones. Comfort and drivability are at the top of the game.
As a former owner of both the Clear and the Ananda, I couldn't agree more about the timbre on the Clear - which I never really warmed to.

I've only had the 109 Pro for a few days after auditioning them more than any of my other headphone purchases and I'm enjoying them much more than the Clears. I EQ all my headphones to some degree and so far I think four mild frequency adjustments puts these firmly in the sweet spot for me.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,195 of 3,485
I was considering the Arya from Hifiman, but I have heard this headphone is great, and around 500 dollars less expensive. Would you guys save for the Arya or buy this headphone based on your own experiences if you were looking for just one that might be your endgame?

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,196 of 3,485
I was considering the Arya from Hifiman, but I have heard this headphone is great, and around 500 dollars less expensive. Would you guys save for the Arya or buy this headphone based on your own experiences if you were looking for just one that might be your endgame?
The sound signature of this headphones is very different so first of all it depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,197 of 3,485
never tried Arya but recently i had one he-6 se. endgame is a big word. but i have tried many headphones and honestly meze is a successful product and moreover you don't have to worry about amplifications

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,198 of 3,485
The sound signature of this headphones is very different so first of all it depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.
I like detail but I also like full-bodied sound. I like to experience music versus just listening with total analytical mode. I guess I would say I like Grado 325s, and I like the Shure 1540 studios as well. I use Tidal and Amazon Music HD. I did not like the AKG K553 Mk2s.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,199 of 3,485
It's not that easy. It depends only on your preferences. I would say it in this way. 109 Pro are very easy to drive. If you have good quality dongle or just a good output, you don't need amp for them. Of course a nice amp would drive them better. For Arya, you need a good quality amp.

109 Pro have similar soundstage as Arya. Actually, 109 Pro have very nice and wide soundstage. Arya sounds taller, I would say similar width. Arya has better detail across the whole FR. Much better detail and layers on lows. Both are little brighter. Overall, one would say, the Arya are better. But, for me, they sounds like plastic. 109 Pro has absolutely amazing tonality. They sounds really really nice, fun and just right. And at the same time very natural. I like them a lot. Build, design, ergonomy and comfort is way better than Arya. It is very hard between these two. You should borrow them for a week, listen to them for more days and then pick one.

There is one another choice, which is better, than both of these. Hifiman HE6se V2. If properly amped, these are one of the best headphones, period. But, it is very hard to find a good amp for them for full control and they also need EQ. If they are not properly amped, they did not sound good. They can sounds very sharp and thin. But if you have a good amp, able to handle big current peaks and able to deliver right mix of Ohm's law, then the results can be mesmerizing and they can be much better than 109 Pro or Arya.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,200 of 3,485
I like detail but I also like full-bodied sound. I like to experience music versus just listening with total analytical mode. I guess I would say I like Grado 325s, and I like the Shure 1540 studios as well. I use Tidal and Amazon Music HD. I did not like the AKG K553 Mk2s.
I don´t know why but everytime i try one planar headphone, I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth, preferring the dynamics in the end. in classified i saw two 109 used...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back