Meze Audio 109 Pro
Dec 22, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,201 of 3,512
I like detail but I also like full-bodied sound. I like to experience music versus just listening with total analytical mode. I guess I would say I like Grado 325s, and I like the Shure 1540 studios as well. I use Tidal and Amazon Music HD. I did not like the AKG K553 Mk2s.
The Arya is not full bodied nor visceral sounding but it has better technicalities and more neutral tuning.
The 109 is more thick and full bodied with a casual type more fun tuning.
Tonality is not always the most realistic but still not annoying at all unless you want a strictly critical listening.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,202 of 3,512
One thing I would say about the Arya SE is that it's not a forgiving headphone. Bad recorded/produced music will sound bad and will expose everything.

Dull music will sound dull, flat music will sound flat, punchy and engaging music will sound punchy and engaging.

The 109 Pro is probably more forgiving and more easy to listen to.
But you know, on good music the Arya SE will just blow your mind and I personally find it warm and full-bodied enough on music that has those characteristics in the mix (like the last Porcupine Tree album).

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,203 of 3,512
One thing I would say about the Arya SE is that it's not a forgiving headphone. Bad recorded/produced music will sound bad and will expose everything.

Dull music will sound dull, flat music will sound flat, punchy and engaging music will sound punchy and engaging.

The 109 Pro is probably more forgiving and more easy to listen to.
But you know, on good music the Arya SE will just blow your mind and I personally find it warm and full-bodied enough on music that has those characteristics in the mix (like the last Porcupine Tree album).
I take it you find both headphones acceptable then. A better question might be is the Arya SE 500 dollars better than the 109 Pro?

Dec 22, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,205 of 3,512
I was considering the Arya from Hifiman, but I have heard this headphone is great, and around 500 dollars less expensive. Would you guys save for the Arya or buy this headphone based on your own experiences if you were looking for just one that might be your endgame?
This will not be your end game for sure, but it doesn't mean they're not great. The 109 are meant to used as a daily driver, as they walk a very fine line between technicality, tonality and practicality, in that sense, yes, they're your "end game". The Arya and Clear and even the LCD X are a bit too agressive in their presentation. Yes you will hear more from those headphones, but they don't have the velvety, smooth like butter and lifelike sound of the 109 Pro. And trust me, listening to long sessions you'll realize you be sick of those micro details or razor sharp directionality. If only the Clear and Arya have the seducing quality of the 109 Pro, then I think the Arya or the Clear would be the obvious choices, which in reality they don't, plus the Clear're claustrophobic as hell. Only planars that don't always want to stab you in the face is the Rad 0, the new Caldera and Meze's own line of planars.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,206 of 3,512
This will not be your end game for sure, but it doesn't mean they're not great. The 109 are meant to used as a daily driver, as they walk a very fine line between technicality, tonality and practicality, in that sense, yes, they're your "end game". The Arya and Clear and even the LCD X are a bit too agressive in their presentation. Yes you will hear more from those headphones, but they don't have the velvety, smooth like butter and lifelike sound of the 109 Pro. And trust me, listening to long sessions you'll realize you be sick of those micro details or razor sharp directionality. If only the Clear and Arya have the seducing quality of the 109 Pro, then I think the Arya or the Clear would be the obvious choices, which in reality they don't, plus the Clear're claustrophobic as hell. Only planars that don't always want to stab you in the face is the Rad 0, the new Caldera and Meze's own line of planars.
To my ears the 109pro sounds vast but the Clear sounds more breathable. Claustrophobic and no-depth characteristics are for the LCD-X

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,207 of 3,512
To my ears the 109pro sounds vast but the Clear sounds more breathable. Claustrophobic and no-depth characteristics are for the LCD-X
The Grado is manageable and less fatiguing to me. I sometimes get fatigued by the details of the Shure 1540. But it is a studio set anyway. I don't have all the technical knowledge I see on this board but I know what I like and that is what counts. But I am open to change my opinions from time to time as I get older, which is the exact opposite of what people think about folks who get older lol!

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #1,209 of 3,512
Only planars that don't always want to stab you in the face is the Rad 0, the new Caldera and Meze's own line of planars.
That's a big, sweeping statement. If anyone puts the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire or Audeze LCD-2C in the "stabbing in the face" category, then they must be the most treble-sensitive mofos to ever walk this planet.

The Noires and LCD-2C's are planars that are far from piercing in the treble. Not even close. LCD-2C's can be a bit shouty in the upper mids, but they're not stabbing.

Hell, I own LCD-X 2021's, and those walk right to the edge of piercing with detail for me but never cross the line. And I'm treble sensitive.

Everyone's ears and brain are different.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #1,210 of 3,512
Oh, I enjoyed a lot of fun with LCD-2C. I liked them a lot.

IMG_1347 2.JPG

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,211 of 3,512
@pk4425
That's why I insist that everyone looking for a headphone in the range of $ 800-1500 should absolutely listen to the Neumann NDH 30 too. Even better, compare it with well regarded expensive headphones. Its very high naturalness of sound, among other qualities, makes it one of the finest headphones today, in spite of its affordable price. Non fatiguing, no hot treble and yet extremely revealing and naturally balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,214 of 3,512
That's a big, sweeping statement. If anyone puts the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire or Audeze LCD-2C in the "stabbing in the face" category, then they must be the most treble-sensitive mofos to ever walk this planet.

The Noires and LCD-2C's are planars that are far from piercing in the treble. Not even close. LCD-2C's can be a bit shouty in the upper mids, but they're not stabbing.

Hell, I own LCD-X 2021's, and those walk right to the edge of piercing with detail for me but never cross the line. And I'm treble sensitive.

Everyone's ears and brain are different.
It's because I wasn't talking about tonality. When I say "planars that don't want to stab you in the face", I mean their presentation. Headphones that don't have spicy treble or shouty mid or bloomy bass can still possibly be fatiguing. It's the way they deliver their technicality combined with timbre, The Noires are not quite but Audeze line of headphones have the tendency to be a bit forward and "wall-of-sound", not on the level of Hifiman and Focal, which are constantly grinding listeners with details or intense leading edges. The Noires have great tonality and rather laid-back in their presentation, but they're not as shape-shifting and adapting as the Mezes so most of the time they just have this "poofy" quality to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back