Meze Audio 109 Pro
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #3,017 of 3,591
did you guys eq your meze or stock sound? wonder if you managed to improve the meze in some regions. maybe in the bass region?
I’ve tried to equalize the sound, but it always seems worse than the original. Even when I increase some low frequencies, it’s still not good enough. With the 109pro’s, I feel that I don’t have to do anything to enjoy the music. Just plug them into any quality source and enjoy!

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #3,018 of 3,591
I’ve tried to equalize the sound, but it always seems worse than the original. Even when I increase some low frequencies, it’s still not good enough. With the 109pro’s, I feel that I don’t have to do anything to enjoy the music. Just plug them into any quality source and enjoy!
Well after i tried the amp i tested the empys on and also the 109 i wanted it so bad but 3k is a little to much for my taste
And i could tell the amp improved the headphone https://soundgarden.no/naim/118436/...dbxzyJHvhi7ks77E39HHHnclLJz_YEBhpuaDJqe2nOWlk

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #3,019 of 3,591
I enjoy a subtle bass boost with my tube amps. Also, just one notch of bass boost from an iFi amp is a nice little sweetener. :thumbsup:

While I do have a Schiit Loki, I don't use it much and would not use it on the 109's. IMO, they just don't need it. Just a little kick in the bass.:L3000:

Nov 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #3,021 of 3,591
Does anyone have experience with Openheart cables from Aliexpress and the Meze 109pro?

I have an original Meze silver plated balanced cable and I like its sound and quality, but I would like to try this one too just for its aesthetics, although if the sound is bad or with defects....

It is this one in particular:

Openheart cable

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #3,022 of 3,591
Does anyone have experience with Openheart cables from Aliexpress and the Meze 109pro?

I have an original Meze silver plated balanced cable and I like its sound and quality, but I would like to try this one too just for its aesthetics, although if the sound is bad or with defects....

It is this one in particular:

Openheart cable
I have that cable. I love it for the build quality and weight. I have had no issues. I either do not have the ears, or the belief in sound differences in cables, so I can not comment on that.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #3,024 of 3,591
At first, I was very interested in these headphones. At first. Then, as I read this thread, I realised that a lot of people here were looking for a way to "improve the sound" via more or less commendable solutions (200-hours break-in, DACs, amplifiers, expensive cables). A reminder: if you don't like the sound of the headphones out of the box, I'd be surprised if they improve over time for you. I'm sticking with my HD650, thanks to those who discouraged me from spending money unnecessarily.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #3,025 of 3,591
thanks to those who discouraged me from spending money unnecessarily.

If you haven't heard them with your ears on your own system, listening to your favourite music, you only know what others think, which frankly speaking is not much.

Remember, there are plenty of people who think the earth is flat. Would you trust them ?

In other words, trust your ears. Otherwise, you may miss out on a lot of very good gear.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #3,026 of 3,591
If you haven't heard them with your ears on your own system, listening to your favourite music, you only know what others think, which frankly speaking is not much.

Remember, there are plenty of people who think the earth is flat. Would you trust them ?

In other words, trust your ears. Otherwise, you may miss out on a lot of very good gear.
A very good gear maybe, but how much better than my HD650 / FiiO K5 Pro combo ? :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #3,027 of 3,591
HD650 are legendary. A "must have" for many. Pair very well with OTL amps. I am content with HD660 S2 :)

Fiio K5 Pro is a basic entry level DAC/AMP. Does the job, but nothing to write home about.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #3,028 of 3,591
Go to your nearest hifi store qnd try them your selt. I prefer my 109 over the 660s 2
But every ear is different. Some find their endgame quite early some later on. I tried the foctal clears mg and could not find a valuable reason to upgrade to them. I just stick with my meze

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #3,029 of 3,591
HD650 are legendary. A "must have" for many. Pair very well with OTL amps. I am content with HD660 S2 :)

Fiio K5 Pro is a basic entry level DAC/AMP. Does the job, but nothing to write home about.
Trust me, coming from an FiiO E10K , K5 Pro was a huge improvement for me ! I know there are better gears around but below 90€ (the price I paid for a refurb unit), I have a doubt :wink:

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #3,030 of 3,591
Sometimes, we get so used to something that it’s hard to switch things up. This could be one of those times. But honestly, no matter how much you tweak your setup, burn-in your gear, switch cables, or adjust the amp, it’s not gonna turn a ‘meh’ into a ‘wow’.

You might go from ‘it’s not as good as I thought’ to ‘it’s pretty decent’, but if you’re not into burgers, all the ketchup and mustard in the world won’t change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back