Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #541 of 582
How much headtime did you give them? If you don’t listen to your Clear on any given day and start off with the Neo, it very well could grow on you after some quality headtime.
I own the Clear, the Neo and 99 classic and love them all. You just gotta get used to them without swapping back and forth in the same day. Just my 2 pennies worth.

I agree. When I have something new arriving I do not listen to anything else that day. Fresh ears. I never willingly compare my stuff by swapping back and forth. If someone insists I try but I hate it. I want to just get lost in my music.

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #544 of 582
Hello everyone,

I own these Neo since a few years and it is always a pleasure to go back to them and listening to some metal / electro. So much fun!

BUT at the same time, the clamping force is so little that it is frustrating.I have to manually put my hands on them to get a proper dynamic sound... I used all the tricks Meze support sent me but it made no difference.
So I will be selling these soon.

If some of you have recommendations for some alternative nomad headphones in the 250-500€ range, I would appreciate.

Many thanks!

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #545 of 582
Just got my pair of Neos off Amazon (a new, damaged box $99 that showed zero damage, so it was low-risk for me). I'm still auditioning it, it feels warm and has a more round soundstage than my other bassy cans (Nighthawks). Nighthawk soundstage is 'better' but it has a weird shape that precludes the possibility of swapping headphones within the same day or same session, imo. The sound is great but I'm not blown away - I do think they have a place as a bassy closed-back set for the office (whenever that might be a thing again). At $106 they're pretty low-risk but I also don't want to accumulate too many headphones. Does anyone have experience comparing these to the Madhouse Argons? That would be my other closed-back bassy cans, for a significant price (and ETA) increase.

Anyways, I am shocked at how easy to drive these are, like an IEM. I have the Neos and the BLON BL-03 plugged into my Modius/THX789 stack and at low gain, both of them are loud at 11 o'clock. I don't see a real point in connecting it to the Balanced output for the extra juice, but I am thinking of getting the Meze balanced cable to use with my Sundaras Nighthawks (and pair with the Drop XLR-to-2.5mm balanced adapter to connect into the THX 789). Does anyone have experience doing that, is there any point?

Edit: I got confused between the 2.5mm and 3.5mm connectors between the Neos and the Sundaras.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #546 of 582
How much headtime did you give them? If you don’t listen to your Clear on any given day and start off with the Neo, it very well could grow on you after some quality headtime.
I own the Clear, the Neo and 99 classic and love them all. You just gotta get used to them without swapping back and forth in the same day. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Can you describe both sound signature and what is the difference between both ? Also is it really worth to spend that extra for 99 classics ?

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #547 of 582
Talk about reviving a dead thread but I finally got a set of Brainwavz PU/velour pads for my Neos and they make a huge improvement! The stock pads touched my ears which made it uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Plenty of room for my ears to breathe with these new pads. The bass was also reduced just a little bit but the sound feels very well-balanced for my personal taste now. The improvement in sound and comfort was way more than I anticipated honestly lol! Might sell my 400i and X2HR at this point.

Fairly cheap upgrade but makes a BIG difference! These are my favorite cans now. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #548 of 582
Talk about reviving a dead thread but I finally got a set of Brainwavz PU/velour pads for my Neos and they make a huge improvement! The stock pads touched my ears which made it uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Plenty of room for my ears to breathe with these new pads. The bass was also reduced just a little bit but the sound feels very well-balanced for my personal taste now. The improvement in sound and comfort was way more than I anticipated honestly lol! Might sell my 400i and X2HR at this point.

Fairly cheap upgrade but makes a BIG difference! These are my favorite cans now. :dt880smile:

Do you have a link to show the exact pads that you bought?

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #550 of 582
Good morning to everyone,

I recently bought the neo and I am really satisfied by the quality and the sound. The problem is that I hooked them up to my micro idsd silver and I didn't think of lowering the gain so I was listening to them in eco mode which is propably too muck for the neos cause I was listening some distortion. After a while I thought to using the ifi iem much so I lowered the gain.

Ifi says that in eco mode micro outputs 250mw (16ohms) and the neos are up to 100mw according to their specs. Did I damage the drivers playing them for 5-6 hours? Micro amp was between 9 and 12' which was loud enough.

Can the drivers be harmed that way just a little of they would have burned like there would be no sound at all?

Cheers.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #551 of 582
Hello Meze 99 users.
I've been looking for quite some time for a bass heavy headphones.
It could be mid/highs recessed.
I want to listen some of my old time favorite trance tracks. And I found that bass heavy headphones just fits that kind of music.
Technical (so called audiophile) headphones are not the best fit - at least for me.
So I wanted to ask if somebody here has experience with meze 99 neo and such music (trance or techno/electronica, for example atb, cosmic gate, schiller etc...) ?
Is it good fit ?

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #552 of 582
Hello Meze 99 users.
I've been looking for quite some time for a bass heavy headphones.
It could be mid/highs recessed.
I want to listen some of my old time favorite trance tracks. And I found that bass heavy headphones just fits that kind of music.
Technical (so called audiophile) headphones are not the best fit - at least for me.
So I wanted to ask if somebody here has experience with meze 99 neo and such music (trance or techno/electronica, for example atb, cosmic gate, schiller etc...) ?
Is it good fit ?

I will keep this short: Absolutely! The 99 Classics have been described as bass head cans for audiophiles, assuming you have the larger, 3rd gen pads installed over the originals. 🤘😎

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #554 of 582
Well, I scored an open-box pair of Neo 99 off ebay for a very good price. Will be here next week. Hope I like them. Needed a good, somewhat bassy, closed-back as most of my cans are open back. My top headphones are currently HiFiMan Deva and Philips Fidelio X2. The Deva is staying no matter what. After 8 years the X2 might not survive the Neo. The thread may be dead - but I’m not! Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back